Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sorry, We hijacked your thread.
Hope all went well with the power steering lines, valve cover gaskets and window fix.
these parts will be collecting dust for a couple more weeks. I'm going to pickup a motorcycle this weekend and then having a house party for family. then gotta get that fertilizer and pre emergent on the lawn. always something!
not like the pilot needs this stuff, it is really proactively repairing items before they fully bite the dust

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
these parts will be collecting dust for a couple more weeks. I'm going to pickup a motorcycle this weekend and then having a house party for family. then gotta get that fertilizer and pre emergent on the lawn. always something!
not like the pilot needs this stuff, it is really proactively repairing items before they fully bite the dust
I know what you mean. When I got parts though, I can't hardly stand it. The Mrs might having me doing a honey do, but if I see a window of opportunity to sneak away, I'm back in the garage. I guess it's an illness.
¯\(ツ)

Reactions: Irish Pilot Mender

·
Registered
137 Posts
But you get free healthcare.
Nothing
I know what you mean. When I got parts though, I can't hardly stand it. The Mrs might having me doing a honey do, but if I see a window of opportunity to sneak away, I'm back in the garage. I guess it's an illness.
¯\(ツ)
With no cure, only manage the symptoms and buy tools etc.. cheaper than most illnesses to manage. 😁

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Nothing
With no cure, only manage the symptoms and buy tools etc.. cheaper than most illnesses to manage. 😁
Funny thing is that I got one of those battery power ratchet wrenches I always wanted, but I still find myself breaking bolts by hand. Always afraid I'm going to twist the head off a bolt. I guess I'm old school.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've been wrenching so long I have a better feel for how much torque I'm putting into removing the bolt or nut and likewise putting it back together. It's not a race and I don't work in a shop. I love power tools for drilling and driving screws though!
If I didn't have 2 young kids I would be out in the garage more for sure !

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
15,886 Posts
Been working on my wheeling truck. Discovered the joy of Rivnuts. Very useful. Of course the first tool I bought off Amazon junked itself before the project was finished. Eastwood’s just got me something better.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Grass grows in sandy DE? I guess you are far enough north the soil isn't as sandy... I just drove by your house twice last weekend going from Bel Air to OCMD and back.

Funny thing is that I got one of those battery power ratchet wrenches I always wanted, but I still find myself breaking bolts by hand. Always afraid I'm going to twist the head off a bolt. I guess I'm old school.
Risk/reward. I asked for the impact for my birthday a year or so ago mostly to use on lug nuts. Some suspension bolts have seen it but only large bolts. I did use it on everything on a Chevy Small Block I tore down recently since it's going to the recycler and I enjoy tearing them down first.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I live up near wilmington and new castle. Our neighborhood like many others used to be farm land so very fertile soil. Technically northern delaware is an extinct volcanic island that used to be right off the coast. There's really neat geological features around Wilmington and pretty drastic rocky hills and massive rocks just laying around

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I live up near wilmington and new castle. Our neighborhood like many others used to be farm land so very fertile soil. Technically northern delaware is an extinct volcanic island that used to be right off the coast. There's really neat geological features around Wilmington and pretty drastic rocky hills and massive rocks just laying around
Yup, I am pretty familiar with northern DE being not far from there my whole life. It's also pretty interesting how the state boundaries were developed in the PA/MD/DE area. One of my last projects as a consulting engineer was the Claymont Transportation Center Design-Build, taking the old steel mill and turning it into a train/bus hub with mixed-use development all around it. I'll apologize for the poorly designed roundabout now, the consultant who did the preliminary design and helped DelDOT acquire the land did a pretty poor job so I had almost no space to make it work for a larger design vehicle.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
You're also right near the diverging diamond interchange at I95/SR72. That was a fun project as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I really appreciate that intersection. It helped alleviate a lot of traffic jams that occured there prior when I moved to the red lion area back in 2013. Now they just need to finish widening rt 72.
Now I'm off topic in my own thread. :p

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Risk/reward. I asked for the impact for my birthday a year or so ago mostly to use on lug nuts. Some suspension bolts have seen it but only large bolts. I did use it on everything on a Chevy Small Block I tore down recently since it's going to the recycler and I enjoy tearing them down first.
It aggravated me after I got it hung between the engine and frame rail of my Crosstour when removing bolts during a timing belt job (for a 2nd time), it made me not want to use it on engine work, lol. Very difficult switching the gear to forward when it's pinned against something.
There are 7 bolts on the under cover of the Nissan 3500 vans that must come off when doing the oil change. That's where I appreciate using it the most.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
You'd never survive working as a flat rate mechanic.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
You'd never survive working as a flat rate mechanic.
I'm glad. I like to take my time. If a back muscle starts to twinge, a little pain relief in a can helps.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
15,886 Posts
All that talk about chain versus straps, I decided to buy a new 3in x 12ft sling. This thing is so thick, looks like I'm in the market for a couple of shackles too.
View attachment 146733
get Soft Shackles for connecting to the vehicles. Many different brands out there. Standard Duty Soft Shackle | Factor 55 If you can't find a safe loop, attach to a suspension arm.

Your strap is ok load wise but its a bit short. Twenty foot is the shortest for vehicle recovery. I use kinetic Energy recovery ropes off road with 20 and 30ft lengths in my arsenal.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
get Soft Shackles for connecting to the vehicles. Many different brands out there. Standard Duty Soft Shackle | Factor 55 If you can't find a safe loop, attach to a suspension arm.

Your strap is ok load wise but its a bit short. Twenty foot is the shortest for vehicle recovery. I use kinetic Energy recovery ropes off road with 20 and 30ft lengths in my arsenal.
Hmm, not knocking it. Just unknown to me. Spending $40 is not exactly inexpensive for a simple item.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,566 Posts
I received my box of goodies (Honda PS, DW-1, VTM-4 fluids and a part I forgot to order last time for the upcoming transmission filter replacement) this week. It’s sad when it’s cheaper for me to order the fluids/parts from the opposite coast and have them shipped instead of getting them from my local dealers (the two closest now mark up 30% above list so no thanks).

I’m looking forward to working on the Pilot now that the weather has improved. I hope you all enjoy getting dirty/greasy fixing your rigs.

Reactions: aggrex
21 - 40 of 64 Posts