Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find many postings about successful installations of cargo boxes on the OEM crossbars, so I figured I'd post my success.

I successfully installed the Sportrack VistaXL cargo box on the OEM crossbars. I used the rear-most mounting holes for the rear crossbar, and had to drill an extra hole on each side for the front crossbar, as the fixed OEM crossbars didn't line up. I used the metal plate as a template. The box does not interfere with the rear hatch, and the front of it comes just up to the sunroof.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good Buddy. I may consider getting one. Is this the biggest sportrack have?
I don't know. The Sportrack web site doesn't give the size of this one. They also have a Skyline XL box that's listed as 18 cu ft. However, the reviews that I've read on that one seems to indicate it's of lesser quality. Looking at pictures, there is an XCargo XL unit that appears to be the same as this, and it's 15 cu ft. I've read that this carrier is OEM's by Thule, but don't know for sure.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have this box as well. Nice to know it fits on the G3. It is big, which I like, but the brackets seem a bit flimsy. No issues so far though and it kept everything dry in a rainstorms.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all,

Any update on the performance of this box with the "custom" hole made?
Someone is about to give me a new Sportrack Vista XL and I think I need to accept it even if I need to make adjustments.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
15,928 Posts
Been four years since the OP was here.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Hi all,

Any update on the performance of this box with the "custom" hole made?
Someone is about to give me a new Sportrack Vista XL and I think I need to accept it even if I need to make adjustments.
I wouldn't hesitate to get it and drill a new hole. The material thickness is pretty constant and it's not like you are drilling into a lesser reinforced section. Your signature doesn't tell us anything about the model year you own, some have adjustable crossbars so you can make it work without drilling new holes.

Been four years since the OP was here.
At least it was an on-topic revival... never know if the OP gets a ding in their email and logs in to respond. I got that recently for DriveAccord but I haven't been on there in 6 years.

/zombie

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to get it and drill a new hole. The material thickness is pretty constant and it's not like you are drilling into a lesser reinforced section. Your signature doesn't tell us anything about the model year you own, some have adjustable crossbars so you can make it work without drilling new holes.

At least it was an on-topic revival... never know if the OP gets a ding in their email and logs in to respond. I got that recently for DriveAccord but I haven't been on there in 6 years.

/zombie
I have a 2021 Pilot SE with factory crossbars.
It's probably a no brainer to take it and drill a new hole. Free is better than a $600+ Thule :p

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I have a 2021 Pilot SE with factory crossbars.
It's probably a no brainer to take it and drill a new hole. Free is better than a $600+ Thule :p
Concur! And I've had a cheap box (XCargo Sport 20) and a mid priced box (Thule Evolution 1600, sold only at Sears) and I can tell you the difference in quality has been huge. At some point, if we really commit to more driving vacations I will likely step up to one of the top tier boxes. Right now the Evolution 1600 has been great and in multiple trips from MD to Disney in hours of rain it has let in no water at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts