Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried to put a sportier suspension on the pilot? I love our pilot, but not real concerned about clearance for off road (Have a 4X4 Expedition for that) I would like to make it a little more stable, less top heavy. Any help woul dbe appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the Pilot is going to be an on-road vehicle, then changing over to some better tires will definitely help. I don't think there are any aftermarket lowering kits or springs available for the Pilot but if you can drop it about 2", the car will feel alot better. It will take away alot of the body roll and reduce the effect of possible roll-overs. I changed my wheels and tires and noticed an improvement in handling but the suspension is too soft or like you say, the car feels too top heavy. I would consider lowering it 1-2" if I knew there was a good kit out on the market. I will never be taking this vehicle off-roading.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think its just a matter of time before the aftermarket produces more stuff for us. I'm just hoping for some heavier anti-roll bars.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
SAPILOT said:
Has anyone ever tried to put a sportier suspension on the pilot? I love our pilot, but not real concerned about clearance for off road (Have a 4X4 Expedition for that) I would like to make it a little more stable, less top heavy. Any help woul dbe appreciated.
Sportier or safer?

The MDX has a little more horsepower, 1" bigger wheels, a tighter suspension, and marginally better braking for what some believe is a perceptibly sportier ride. Maybe, but even with the VSA it did not do as well as the Pilot on Consumer Reports' emergency handling test. The Pilot has a 4-star rollover rating (static calculation, not dynamic test), which is unsurpassed by any other SUV or minivan. Some have speculated that the Pilot's squishier (technical term) suspension may be responsible for its marginally better performance on the emergency manuver test. I say don't mess with a well designed safe family SUV.

You'll never find a sporty driving SUV that carries 7-8 people. I tried real hard to imagine that I could feel the sportier ride of the MDX, but it still had the basic sloshiness (yep, another technical term) of the Pilot. Maybe a Porsche Cayenne or Infiniti FX45 or Murano will give you a sportier drive with fewer passengers and 10 mpg (for the Cayenne), but if you really want a sporty drive, get a Miata (if you need it to seat 8, get 4 Miatas).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: Re: Sportier Handling

robrecht said:
Sportier or safer?

if you really want a sporty drive, get a Miata (if you need it to seat 8, get 4 Miatas).
I have seen some spec Miata's on the racetrack and they are quite impressive. But I am very happy with my NSX so maybe I should get 4 of those.:2:

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Sportier Handling

Litespeeds said:
I have seen some spec Miata's on the racetrack and they are quite impressive. But I am very happy with my NSX so maybe I should get 4 of those.:2:
Of course your cumulative MPG will suffer with 4 2-seaters regardless of whether you have 4 Miatas or 4 NSXs.

I recommended the Miata only because it's a relatively cheap used 3rd car, but in your position wouldn't you like some variety, so in addition to your NSX you could add say a BMW Z-8, a Ferrari 360 Spider F1, and an Aston Martin DB7 Vantage Volante? That would give you 10 seats (for 8 adults and 2 kids) and quite a few HP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts