Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll preface this with the fact that this is my wifes pilot, so I don't drive it often.
There is a sporadic brake noise inside the cabin. Mostly shortly after startup.
When you start the car, take your foot off the brake to start driving (not immediately) we get a sound almost like the E-Brake is releasing (but we didn't use the e brake).
It could also be described like the sound of the brake or gas pedal getting stuck on the floor mat.
Not a metallic sound, braking is not effected but my wife has a road trip coming up and she wanted me to look into it.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this or is there another known issue like this?

Any help is appreciated to keep the wifey happy :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Might have something to do with pads shifting in the caliper bracket.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Get the brakes inspected before the road trip. Could be as simple as rusty rotors, worn pads or stuck calipers or parking brake drag.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
^^^^ Dubious brakes are one thing you don't want your wife leaving on a road trip with. (Well, maybe some other sources of dubiousness, but that's beyond the scope of this thread. :)) Get those brakes checked for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
^^^^ Dubious brakes are one thing you don't want your wife leaving on a road trip with. (Well, maybe some other sources of dubiousness, but that's beyond the scope of this thread. :)) Get those brakes checked for peace of mind.
He won’t be fooled with dubiousness....lol
06455EEC-B3AB-470B-B34C-4A46BBD479D7.jpeg

·
Registered
176 Posts
Do you have alot of humidity? Sometimes you can get a light coating of rust on the caliper, and worn-in pads will 'stick' the first time they grab and release the rotors. If you back up you'll notice the sound from the back, if you move forward you'll more notice the sound from the front.

I used to occasionally get this in my Pilot and in my daughter's Subaru. I switched to coated Power Stop rotors and the noise/sticking disappeared - on both cars.

As other's have said it may also be the pads sliding in the hardware - check the fluid level and pad thickness, maybe its time for pads...

Oh - you could also have a sticking caliper pin. Again, pretty common in humid regions or anywhere theres road salt in the winter. I just had to change the pins on my daughter's Subaru, the bottom pins on both calipers were sticking to the point they were almost frozen. You'll notice this more when the car and rotor are cold, there's usually enough grease to permit sliding when the wheel is warm/hot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts