Votes: 7 15.2%
  • somthing else

Votes: 23 50.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now here is a very important question. What do people use to wash their vehicles-- sponges, towels, something else?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
From left to right, I use a "Detailer's Choice" body brush, a tire/wheel brush I got from Target, and a "Detailer's Choice" mitt on a pole for the roof. To Dry, I have an Absorber synthetic chamois, and an assortment of microfiber and 100% cotton towels.

Attachments

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Re: Use a lamb's wool mitt

mixxmstrmike said:
DO NOT USE A SPONGE. Dirt and debris can get lodged into the sponge's pores and ultimately scratch the clearcoat.
:4:

I use a combo of 100% cotton towels and microfiber mits & towels. Depends on my mood. Dunno the brand of the wheel brush I'm using, to tell ya the truth.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Sponge for the wheels.
Lambs wool mitt or shiwala for the car body.
Microfibre drying towel
Microfibre towels for detailing (clay bar / wax)

Jay, where do you get the lambswool mitt-on-a-stick?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
sfhondapilot said:
...snip

Jay, where do you get the lambswool mitt-on-a-stick?
Wal-Mart, as I recall, but I think it's cotton.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lambswool mitt for the low spots and a boat brush on a handle for the high spots.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Lamb's Wool Mitt!!!
:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Chenille???

I just bought something called, I think, chenille, to wash the car with. It looks like a really long, shaggy (about 3/4" nap) carpet, and the pile is most likely synthetic, possibly cotton.

Do you guys and gals know anything about this? Is it a good idea? I bought a mitt, and also one on a stick for the top of the car. If it's a bad idea, I can go buy a lambswool mitt, but I didn't see an on-a-stick version of the lambswool.

Berk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks, Mike. I'll think about it.

Any thoughts on using this chenille thing?

Berk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Chenille

I thought about it and I usually stay away from ANY item that may contain nylon or synthetic fibers when it comes to washing the paint. Nylon scratches very easily and that's why I use the lamb's wool mitts.

If you're absolutely sure that it's 100% cotton, then I would go ahead and use it.

Another thing you may want to do depending on how anal you are is to cut off those nylon tags on your cotton towels. They will very EASILY scratch the heck out of that clear coat!

Good luck!
-Mike

·
Registered
288 Posts
I use 100% cotton good quality towels for washing both the body and wheels.

I also use a 100% cotton towel and natural chamois to dry.

As mixxmstrmike mentioned nylon scratches and so does polyester so watch the edge bindings and the tags!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts