Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Spent some time on the outside of the '08 for Father's Day...

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  exploreco 
#1 · (Edited)
...so many neighbors were asking if I should be relaxing, but I find detailing cars very therapeutic! Started with a shampoo, Adams Car Wash, followed by clay bar, Menzerna PO85RD polish, rewash, and Menzerna FMJ (which is discontinued but I stocked up).

See less See more
#2 ·
She looks beautiful. And, yes, very relaxing. I always love to see a car get foamed :) I have been thinking about getting one of those.

#3 ·
She looks beautiful. And, yes, very relaxing. I always love to see a car get foamed :) I have been thinking about getting one of those.
Take a look at Amazon, same sprayer as many detailing websites carry, but for much less (under $40). Make sure to make a trip to Home Depot and pickup a bunch of brass quick-connect stuff for the hose and various attachments, plus a shut-off valve so you can switch on-the-fly.

Tonight, I treat the leather...

#5 ·
Leather Master Cleaner, and Griot's Leather Care. Makes the car smell like a Coach leather store, and keeps leather supple.

#6 ·
Thanks, will check out Amazon. How do you do it. Looks like you still have a bucket too. Does the soap dry up before you get the car done? Do you wipe the whole car down or do it in sections? I have seen on the detail forums were they do the foam alot to loosen up the dirt.

#8 ·
Thanks, will check out Amazon. How do you do it. Looks like you still have a bucket too. Does the soap dry up before you get the car done? Do you wipe the whole car down or do it in sections? I have seen on the detail forums were they do the foam alot to loosen up the dirt.
I still handwash, and make sure that the car is mostly in the shade so everything stays wet while I work top down. The foam does help loosen stuff up before attacking with the wash mitt. I have different wash mitts for top (hood, roof, upper half of doors and upper half of fenders) vs. lowers (plus the rear tailgate). Maybe a bit too picky, but that's what I've always done for my Audi.

I do the handwash, then rinse, but if sections get too dry, I will just wet the surface quickly with the spray hose. Once rinsed, it will be hand dried with waffle weave microfiber drying towels. Believe it or not, only two of those towels are needed to dry the whole Pilot, including glass!

I get everything from Detailers Domain, Phil has good prices but more importantly, only the VERY BEST products. I think the only thing I did not buy from him was the Griots Leather Care.

#9 ·
The car looks awesome!

Funny this is exactly what I did for fathers day :) What do you use for buffing up? My hands were paining by the time I was finished.
Thanks! I love the color, and the polish made it really pop!

I buff by hand, which is one of the reasons why I like the Menzerna FMJ (now replaced with Menzerna Power Lock). It is not wax, but a polymer sealant that wipes on, dries to a light haze, and buffs out very easily. I've tried various carnuba waxes, and other stuff, but can't stand the buffing process with those products.

I have a Flex XC3401 random orbit to polish the paint after the clay bar, but have a Griots 6" random orbit in the basement which I might outfit with the buffing pad. I just like using my hands on the final step so I can really inspect every square inch of the surface. But...even with the "easier" buffing of the FMJ vs. wax, there is a LOT of surface area to cover, so hands will still get tired, just not as tired as those buffing out wax

#10 ·
Thanks, I will check out that website. Haven't used that brand but seen them mentioned on autogeek. Looking for new ways to maintain my wife's new black Toyota. Have mainly had light cooled cars and finding the black is a little more work and need to be a little more careful with.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.