Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AAA, the auto club, has a free speedometer check that is free for members. It says, "Vehicles that cannot be tested: Four wheel drive vehicles on which the front wheels cannot be diengaged by using manual shift or locking hubs, and front wheel drive vehicles on which the emergency brake operates from the front wheels or is automatically released when placed in gear".

So, can I get a speedometer check with the Pilot, an all wheel drive vehicle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
My Magellan GPS handheld has a speed readout that I'm sure is very accurate. Haven't checked it against the Pilot speedometer yet, but that would probably be just as good, if not better, than the AAA speedometer check. Too bad the Navi doesn't have a speed readout from the GPS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Garmin iQue 3600

I compared the speed with my Garmin iQue 3600 GPS w/ external antenna attached and the Pilot speedometer, the speedometer showed 1-2 mph faster than the GPS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
My Pilot is within a 1/2 mph using my GPS. Then again, that small of difference could just me looking at the speedo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
My Pilot's speed from slow to fast appears to be dead on according to my GPS also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Drive down the interstate real fast.

Some nice man will be along shortly to tell you exactly how fast you were going.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
Hey, I give free speedo test also! Just come by and I'll let you know how your doing. :12:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
I had a new 86 Saab which read 10mph high at 55 (well, 45). I usually drive about 9 over, maybe more back then, and figured I'd keep it around the speed limit during break-in. I was just amazed at how at what a difference 9mph could make, til finally I had the girlfriend drive behind me and I signalled when I read 55 and she told me how slow I was really going. Since then I've always been paranoid about any new car being off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Re: Garmin iQue 3600

Yup, my iQue's speedometer reading is very close to the Pilot's. Of course, my iQue did once show that I hit a max of 657 mph :eek: , so not too sure which one to trust !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Re: Re: Garmin iQue 3600

yolk said:
Yup, my iQue's speedometer reading is very close to the Pilot's. Of course, my iQue did once show that I hit a max of 657 mph :eek: , so not too sure which one to trust !
Good thing you weren't in front of FLPilot when you went that fast! :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
Re: Re: Garmin iQue 3600

yolk said:
Yup, my iQue's speedometer reading is very close to the Pilot's. Of course, my iQue did once show that I hit a max of 657 mph :eek: , so not too sure which one to trust !
Haha...don't worry, we have a "No chase" policy. I would just wave as you went flying by.

Me----->:crazyeye: :runaway:<------Yolk

Actually it has been posted in the past that you can use it on an airline and get those kinds of speeds. Yolk, did you reset the counter when you first got the unit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Come to think of it, I don't believe I reseted the unit.

Here's an alternate theory that was posted on the iQue board.

"It is caused when bad signal reception causes the GPS to think it is somewhere other than where it really is (not a loss of reception, but bad enough to incorrectly report your position). Once the signal reception clears up, you suddenly are back on course. The high speed is the mathematical sum of being at one place, say Chicago, IL, then being corrected to your real position, say Richmond, VA, seconds later. Your would have had to have been doing 1,170 MPH to be in Chicago, IL, at one time, then in Richmond, VA, around 5-10 seconds later."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
yolk said:
Come to think of it, I don't believe I reseted the unit.

Here's an alternate theory that was posted on the iQue board.

"It is caused when bad signal reception causes the GPS to think it is somewhere other than where it really is (not a loss of reception, but bad enough to incorrectly report your position). Once the signal reception clears up, you suddenly are back on course. The high speed is the mathematical sum of being at one place, say Chicago, IL, then being corrected to your real position, say Richmond, VA, seconds later. Your would have had to have been doing 1,170 MPH to be in Chicago, IL, at one time, then in Richmond, VA, around 5-10 seconds later."
Sounds logical I guess, I just have never had that problem with the S.P. III, although I am waiting for the day that I can take it on a plane with me to see the speed and the land below me literally fly by.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
yolk said:
Come to think of it, I don't believe I reseted the unit.

Here's an alternate theory that was posted on the iQue board.

"It is caused when bad signal reception causes the GPS to think it is somewhere other than where it really is (not a loss of reception, but bad enough to incorrectly report your position). Once the signal reception clears up, you suddenly are back on course. The high speed is the mathematical sum of being at one place, say Chicago, IL, then being corrected to your real position, say Richmond, VA, seconds later. Your would have had to have been doing 1,170 MPH to be in Chicago, IL, at one time, then in Richmond, VA, around 5-10 seconds later."
I had this happen a couple years ago with my GPS III+ on a motorcycle trip. I had just pulled out from a KOA campground and was in an area where reception was marginal. It ended up recording a max speed of something like 174 MPH.

:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
colorider said:
I had this happen a couple years ago with my GPS III+ on a motorcycle trip. I had just pulled out from a KOA campground and was in an area where reception was marginal. It ended up recording a max speed of something like 174 MPH.

:eek:
Sure, I believe you.....I know how you motorcycle bandits like to race around. Haha....been a while since I've been around to rattle your chain so I figured I would do it this morning before I went to bed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
FLPilot said:
Sure, I believe you.....I know how you motorcycle bandits like to race around. Haha....been a while since I've been around to rattle your chain so I figured I would do it this morning before I went to bed.
Yep - we are all just a bunch of h*** raisers!!!

I'm about done posting for about 2 1/2 weeks as I will be on my EXTENDED motorcycle trip. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Garmin iQue 3600

FLPilot said:
Haha...don't worry, we have a "No chase" policy.
At all? Period? Regardless of road and traffic conditions? Regardless of what the person is wanted for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
colorider said:

I'm about done posting for about 2 1/2 weeks as I will be on my EXTENDED motorcycle trip. :)
Have fun! :2:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top