Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

We are the proud owners of a RedRock Pearl Pilot EX-L. It even has the dreaded leather sag at 350 miles. Regardless, we love our Pilot.

I am getting ready to install some 2003 Acura MDX Touring Rims on the Pilot.

According to the Tire Circumference Calculator, http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

by entering the original Pilot Size 235-70-16 and also entering 235-65-17's for the Acura Rims at 75 MPH I come up with 74.81 MPH.
The Acura rim and tire are 0.26 percent bigger then the Pilot.

While it doesnt seem like much, this will make the odometer "lose" approximately 14.25 miles for every hour driven at 75.

Is any body with a HELMS BOOK able to find out how the PILOT and MDX pick up the speed of the vehicle? Can I just go and purchase an Acura MDX speedometer gear and install it on the Pilot????

EDIT----- Supposidly the Pilot's speed is calibrated trough the VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR. Is there a way to tweak this??
By the way I am doing it because I want the Michelin Cross Terrains and the Acura rim has a more polished look....

Thanks everyone.

Drive Safe!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess you got 14.25 by multiplying .19 by 75?
It just "loses" .19 miles per hour at an indicated 75.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Make sure you change the center caps-

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TomP

Thanks for all the responses. Both 75 and 74.81 are in Miles Per Hour.

I must've had a brain fart. .19 mile for every hour at 75. Pretty small. Eventually it will add up though......

Then of course, the slower you go the less it effects the mileage.

I wonder if there is a way to calibrate the VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR?

The only thing that someone told me is about the offset. Its supposidly 50mm on the pilot and 45 mm on the Acura. Which is 3/16 of an inch difference. I guess this would mean that the Pilots rims stick out 5 mm more then the acura's?

I will be using my stock caps on the rims. My buddy told me that the Acura A is just a slightly misschaped 'H'.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
747 Posts
That's less than 1%. The difference is less than old/new tires. Old tire with thread gone is smaller. You will be fine and no need to calibrate speedo.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Are the calculated numbers with the tire being loaded (vehicle weight factored in) if not the difference is even less. I would just consider it free mileage.
FYI, I've checked my Pilot's speed (it has Goodyear's) with both a GPS and a radar gun (portable units the Police put on streets) and found it to be right on the money in all speed ranges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts