Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I’m planning a road trip vacation where we might drive on German Autobahns and I just realised that the speed governor might be an annoyance on those fast roads.
But I can’t find a single thread describing how to turn it off or if there is a gadget of some kind that can eliminate it.

I’m sure I can’t be the first person who thinks that it would be nice to have this “fixed”.

Does anyone know?

·
Registered
128 Posts
We are talking about Honda PILOT right? I think you might be the only one who wants speed limiter removed.

I don’t know what the limiter is set at. If it’s 155mph like other cars you won’t have any problem. Pilot will never reach 155mph without modifications.

·
Registered
252 Posts
We are talking about Honda PILOT right? I think you might be the only one who wants speed limiter removed.

I don’t know what the limiter is set at. If it’s 155mph like other cars you won’t have any problem. Pilot will never reach 155mph without modifications.
Let alone if the tires are even rated to go that fast!

·
Registered
435 Posts
ive hit the limiter. its really low if i recall. I believe i hit it around a little under 120mph.
tires seemed ok, no shakes or vibrations.

i was smoking a civic too, it was fixed up, it was not this current gen but the previous. but then after i hit the limiter he passed me

the pilot with the stock tires always felt stable to me even at 90mph. going to 100-110 didnt feel unsteady but im not sure of the actual rating for them.

this was of course all tested in a controlled environment in mexico and not public roads

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I doubt the Pilot is enjoyable or safe above the limited top speed, I'm sure you can get the guys that build tuners for TL's and Accord V6's to whip something up for you but you have to consider tires, brakes, suspension, aerodynamics, etc.

This isn't a Porsche Cayenne...

Good luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried it yesterday to check if the 112 Mph limiter was correct. In my case it's even 110 Mph, and at that speed, the car felt as solid and safe as most cars would. No issues at all.
If the limiter was set at 150 Mph it would not be an issue, but at only 112 you hit it really quick when accelerating fast. I was going at 75 Mph which is the speed limit on my local highway and put the pedal down. It wasn't many seconds before the car bounced off the speed limiter and the acceleration abruptly halted.

I'm surprised that this is not a thing many owners would be annoyed about. In Europe, it would be hard to sell a car that can't go faster than 177 km/h (110 Mph). My first car, a 1979 Volvo was faster that that.
I know there are quite a lot of Odysseys in Germany. I'll see if I can find some info about how the Germans handle this.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,593 Posts
Take a look at the speed rating for your tires!

AFAIK, the unlimited autobahn sections are few and far between.

I drive in Europe every year. The simple chore of filling up is enough to max out a credit card faster than you have ever done at $8 a gallon.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I doubt the Pilot is enjoyable or safe above the limited top speed, I'm sure you can get the guys that build tuners for TL's and Accord V6's to whip something up for you but you have to consider tires, brakes, suspension, aerodynamics, etc.

This isn't a Porsche Cayenne...

Good luck!

I'm sure it's fine at speeds up to and a bit above 200 km/h. Breaks and chassis are not an issue. Aerodynamics could possibly be a problem at really high speeds, so maybe a speed limiter is a good thing to avoid "taking off". Of course I'd have tires to match. Thanks for the tip about TL and Accord owners!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take a look at the speed rating for your tires!

AFAIK, the unlimited autobahn sections are few and far between.

I drive in Europe every year. The simple chore of filling up is enough to max out a credit card faster than you have ever done at $8 a gallon.

I live in Sweden, so I'm very familiar with the 8 dollar a gallon fuel cost :).
Even if I'd seldom need to go as fast, it still annoys me that I can't. I guess it's more a thing of knowing than it's a thing of actually driving that fast more than on rare occations.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I tried it yesterday to check if the 112 Mph limiter was correct. In my case it's even 110 Mph, and at that speed, the car felt as solid and safe as most cars would. No issues at all.
If the limiter was set at 150 Mph it would not be an issue, but at only 112 you hit it really quick when accelerating fast. I was going at 75 Mph which is the speed limit on my local highway and put the pedal down. It wasn't many seconds before the car bounced off the speed limiter and the acceleration abruptly halted.

I'm surprised that this is not a thing many owners would be annoyed about. In Europe, it would be hard to sell a car that can't go faster than 177 km/h (110 Mph). My first car, a 1979 Volvo was faster that that.
I know there are quite a lot of Odysseys in Germany. I'll see if I can find some info about how the Germans handle this.
Why would anyone be annoyed by this in europe? The "no speed limit" roads are far and few between and are decreasing every year... 112 mph should be more than sufficient for any road in Europe, even the unrestricted sections.

I'm sure it's fine at speeds up to and a bit above 200 km/h. Breaks and chassis are not an issue. Aerodynamics could possibly be a problem at really high speeds, so maybe a speed limiter is a good thing to avoid "taking off". Of course I'd have tires to match. Thanks for the tip about TL and Accord owners!
I'm sure the brakes can haul it down once but if you hit repeated braking events (given the weight of the vehicle) I doubt they'd last long. Also, I'd be wary of the chassis at such high speeds. While the structure is plenty stiff I'd be worried about making an emergency maneuver in something so softly sprung with long travel...

Just exercise plenty of caution if you really want to do this...

Reactions: killster2smallbox

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Why would anyone be annoyed by this in europe? The "no speed limit" roads are far and few between and are decreasing every year... 112 mph should be more than sufficient for any road in Europe, even the unrestricted sections.
Can't really answer that... I guess one reason might be that we have pretty good roands, and at least in Sweden, those are mostly "empty" if your not near a bigger city. Even my 70y old father tests his cars at above 200 km/h speeds every now and then. Sometimes you just feel like driving fast on a clear day with the road emrty, and so you do :).

I'm sure the brakes can haul it down once but if you hit repeated braking events (given the weight of the vehicle) I doubt they'd last long. Also, I'd be wary of the chassis at such high speeds. While the structure is plenty stiff I'd be worried about making an emergency maneuver in something so softly sprung with long travel...

Just exercise plenty of caution if you really want to do this...
The springs and chassis settings are very soft at low speeds, but it actually felt more stable and reassuring at higher speeds. I guess that putting more power to the wheels stabilizes the chassis. But quick maneuvers are probably not the best idea at higher speeds.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Sometimes you just feel like driving fast on a clear day with the road emrty, and so you do :).
Fair enough! I'm almost always driving with my kids in the car or in work traffic so my driving style has become boring and ultra cautious... guess it's fitting my "fun" car is a '61 Impala, it's not capable of going fast and I have to drive it the same way!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fair enough! I'm almost always driving with my kids in the car or in work traffic so my driving style has become boring and ultra cautious... guess it's fitting my "fun" car is a '61 Impala, it's not capable of going fast and I have to drive it the same way!

I have a Civic Type R EP3 that I bought new 14 years ago as fun car, but it's just sitting in the garage nowadays, so I'm about to sell it. I've always preferred smaller cars with great handling over bigger ones, but as the kids have kept coming (3 at the last count), the old Type R have been overdue for quite some time...

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I have a Civic Type R EP3 that I bought new 14 years ago as fun car, but it's just sitting in the garage nowadays, so I'm about to sell it. I've always preferred smaller cars with great handling over bigger ones, but as the kids have kept coming (3 at the last count), the old Type R have been overdue for quite some time...
I had a Civic Si for about a year, it was a blast of a car but I'm 6'4" and built like an NFL lineman, so small cars just don't work for me...

Can totally understand about the kids as well, we have 3 so far as well and car seats take up a ton of space, especially when I have to drive with the seat all the way back!

·
Registered
10 Posts

👉🏼 Nobody asked for stupid answers. I got a 2016 Pilot that gets to 181kph quickly, don't tell another person they're the only one, you're dead wrong.

Not one person here had an answer.

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,190 Posts
Since when did they have Pilots in Europe? I thought it was just for North America (correct me if I’m wrong).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since when did they have Pilots in Europe? I thought it was just for North America (correct me if I’m wrong).
It's not sold in Europe (other than in Russia I think), but can be imported. My car was brought to Sweden by some Swede who worked in Canada and brought the car back home to Sweden after changing work and moving back. It seems there are some Pilots in UAE also, but I don't know if they are imported or sold new there. Odessy is quite common in Germany, but also imported and not sold new there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts