Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Speakers popping/crackling noise

55K views 47 replies 28 participants last post by  Allam18 
#1 ·
Hi friends,
I am experiencing a popping/crackle noise coming from my speakers. Some days it happens about every 15 mins and other days it won't happen at all. It doesn't make a difference if I hit bumps in the road, if the music is loud or not and the popping noise is sometimes loud and sometimes soft.

I noticed it starting happening after they had to fix my rear entertainment system. I was not getting video only audio. Honda dealer said it was not connected and they had to go behind the dash to connect.

I took it to the dealer yesterday (12/6/17) and they said they corrected the Neural under Sound settings... Per the dealer they waited to hear the popping noise and did not hear it.

2 hours later I was in the car line to pick up my son and then... POP.... Dang it I said... So when I got home I called the dealer and made another appointment to have it looked at.

Anyone else have this problem with there 2017 honda pilot? If so what was your solution?
Happy Holidays
Jodee

See less See more
#2 ·
I’ve had the crackIng/popping in my 2016 touring, only way to fix it is to leave off the Neural setting. Sounds like you have a physical speaker problem if neural is already off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
There is a previous post about this. I am sorry I don't know how to link it. The problem links back to something with the air compressor. If your able to find the other thread it tells u exact part numbers for it. I have talked to my dealer about it but they "couldn't" replicate it and since it's got almost 50k miles it's outta warranty for such things. It's very annoying but I've learned to ignore it.

#10 ·
can you explain how do I leave off the neutral setting?

thanks

I can’t tell you exactly where it is since I’m not looking at it, but it’s under the sound settings where you would find bass, treble, etc.

Also, we just had a tsb 16-097 done that fixed a “helicopter noise” which seemed to fix our problem. We lost all of our presets and sound settings but that’s no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I have a 2016 Pilot Touring that is giving me a perplexing problem. After having the audio system turned on for a few minutes (regardless of whether the car engine is on or off), I start hearing static noise - faintly at first, then it builds louder and louder until it overcomes whatever I was listening to. It happens whether I am listing to radio, iPod, Bluetooth, or phone. Doesn't matter whether I am listening to music, podcast, or audiobook. The static is in front and rear, left and right. It gets so loud that finally there is no way to hear anything else.
Now here's the weirdest part: The only thing NOT affected is the navigation system "voice" - so if I'm going somewhere using the navigation GPS system, the voice that comes on to tell me to turn or go straight is not affected by the static - I can hear "her" voice perfectly fine coming through the "center channel" speaker.
I have tried turning off the A/C, but doesn't affect the static problem.
But why is the Nav system the only thing not having the problem? I am wondering if the Nav system has a different amplifier.

#15 ·
Just took our 2020 pilot EX to the dealer this morning. Bought in 3/2020 and has 3000 miles on it. Speakers starting crackling and popping a few weeks ago, and just the other day we got the recall notices for dash module and rear camera failures and reprogramming.....After just over an hour at the dealer, the advisor offered my wife a loaner car, and sent her home. Told her after recreating the popping, there is a sleugh of things they must do to try to fix.....I am guessing Honda, and the dealers/techs are very aware of this problem by now, as it seems to have become very wide spread, and well known. Also pretty sure it is happening on all trims except for LX, and not just touring and Elite.

#16 ·
My 2019 Touring AWD developed this issue around 6000 miles. I waited till April-May of this year till Honda developed a fix. I took to the dealership for the reroute which was done at no cost. I put more than 6000 miles since then and the issue has not returned. The car has about 19800 miles at this point.

#21 ·
Just received my 2020 Touring last week with 700 Km (about 440 miles). I did about 500 Km with it and I have the same problem. I have a appointement next week at the dealer. Will post the update, but the lady did told me that I was not the first so I gess Honda is well aware of the problem.

#22 ·
Honda is aware of this issue. I had the same problem with my 2020 Pilot EX-L. They couldn’t get it to happen when I brought it in, so I recorded it and returned. There is a Technical Service Bulletin now. They replaced the connections on the BUSS and so far do good. I was told if it happens again, to bring it back and they will replace the entire wiring harness.

#29 ·
I recently had this issue on a very new 20 Elite. The dealer did the TSB connector repair and the issues are now solved. Interestingly, they found in the diagnostics logs of the head unit that there was a recorded bus drop out. If you're having this issue, you might want to go look for that in the diag view. I remember seeing that section once just looking around but not the precise instructions to find it again.

#30 ·
I'm trying to get my Pilot serviced for recalls and popping noises from the speakers (getting worse every day, now sounds like hail hitting the windshield). It's a 2020 with less than 1500 miles so that's already not great. Twice I scheduled service at Paul Miller Honda in West Caldwell (NJ), teliing them I need a Pilot loaner because I have 3 kids and need the third row (I traded in the CRV for that reason). Twice I was told no problem. Each time I take out all the baby / car seats and protectors, drive to the dealership, then get told the Pilot loaner isn't available. Drive back, put everything back, all in all 2 hours of my time wasted each time. Get your act together Paul Miller!

#32 ·
I have 2019 Pilot Touring AWD that had no problem until about 6 months ago when I started getting the popping/cracking noise As time went on it increased. I noticed that at certain physical locations it would appear everytime. At other times it would randomly appear. I finally called dealer and he said he had a bulletin on it. Then a few days before taking it in the Infomation center rebooted on its own while driving.
According to SO they replaced the Housing, and 4 MOST CORDs and the 395 Display All according to the SB 20-058- "Install the FAKRA Connection Set and the MOST service cords."

Its been two weeks without a noise. Time will tell if it continues. The Service Rep said that he hadn't had anyone return after performing this SB. We shall See

#33 ·
I went through the software update and wiring recall. The crackling and infotainment reboots started again after a few weeks. Moved to new area and dealer said I had to go back to the dealer that did the recall work. Super annoying.
I noticed that the issues seems to occur when I connect my iPhone to CarPlay. I disabled CarPlay on the Pilot as well as on my phone. Weird enough the crackling and reboots have stopped the past few weeks.

Anyway, I wanted to share a potential solution as this forum really helped me to understand the problem when I first encountered it.

#34 ·
I too was wondering about that but I finally sat down and did a step by step check on the system with and without bluetooth/iphone or any other devices running and bottom line was the system would make the noise just by having power to system - No engine running, etc I also felt at times perhaps outside emf from towers produced repeatable static however the lastest update they did fixed it all so far 3 weeks no

#36 ·
Hi - I purchased a 2020 Touring in October and starting experiencing this issue a few weeks after purchasing. Needless to say I was very frustrated that the audio system did not work for long stretches of my first road trip in the car and that it was a known issue that hadn't been proactively addressed by Honda. I took mine into the dealer and they fixed per Service Bulletin 20-058. Its been over 2 weeks and the issue has not reoccurred. If you take yours in make sure to reference the TSB and highlight all of the following:

1. Popping / crackling sound from speakers
2. NO sound from audio system
3. Network loss message and infotainment system resets itself

Hope this helps.

#37 ·
Interesting that you mentioned (2) above. Our radio sound cut out on a drive this past weekend - I think for the first time. I think "No Audio Source" was displayed at the top.

I don't think we get the popping sound from the radio, only with BT phone. I'm wondering if the various modules (BT adapter, radio etc.) all connect to the amp via a common connector where both problems can show up (crackling from BT adapter, loss of sound signal from radio source).

#39 ·
Well, until now I had only heard the crackling noise on BT phone calls, but on a road trip yesterday it was happening when I played the radio.

However, I noticed two things:
  1. It seems the problem started only at the remote (2-hour drive) destination after I received a phone call.
  2. On the way back, I had disabled BT on my phone and had to turn off the audio system to hear my phone's speaker, and I'm pretty sure it still crackled even with the audio system off!
I'm going to test this again on my next (short) road trip. I will drive for a while to see if I hear the crackle, and then have some one phone me.

Reason: after owning this vehicle for about a year I was pretty sure the problem only happened during BT phone calls since I don't recall hearing the noise when listening to the radio, so I'm wondering if BT triggers the condition somehow.

#43 ·
I had the same issue within 10,000 kms of my 2020 black edition Pilot. I was able record it when it happened and showed it to the dealer. It’s apparently a common electrical issue with some models. The dealer replaced the fakra connectors, which was all covered covered under the factory warranty. Haven’t heard the crackling noise since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.