Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions for all you Pilot owners:

First, I'm wondering if any of you have disconnected the subwoofer in the cargo area? When speaking to a stereo shop about this upgrading the front speakers, the technician suggested that I also disconnect the subwoofer in the back as I had complained about the booming from the subwoofer even when the tuner settings were at the factory "balanced" setting. Have any of you done this? The technician said that I could just upgrade the speakers first, and then see if that made a difference and if not, then I could come back and he'd disconnect the subwoofer in the back. I'm thinking though that if I'm hearing the pounding or booming now with the radio turned up, I'll still hear it just the same with the new speakers because the subwoofer will still be there!!!!! Have any of you found that just replacing the front speakers would eliminate this problem somehow?

And secondly, the salesman recommended some speakers called the Eclipse SE8962 (with tilted tweeters) 2-way speakers for the Pilot. He said they are very good speakers. Do any of you know if these are any good? I believe the speakers I had in my old Honda Accord were Bose speakers, and I thought they sounded very good. However, the salesman said that he didn't like Bose speakers and then quoted, "No highs, no lows, must be Bose," whatever he meant by that.

I'd appreciate your opinions on these issues.

Thanks,

Denise

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm glad you brought this up. What the heck are the best replacement speakers for the Pilot? Is there a car speaker rating/testing site we could go to? It would be great to get by the sales hype and get some "objective opinion" about what sounds good for the Pilot, or any other vehicle for that matter. If anyone knows of a source of good info, chime in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
DeniseT:

Let me try to tackle both questions...

First, I'm wondering if any of you have disconnected the subwoofer in the cargo area? When speaking to a stereo shop about this upgrading the front speakers, the technician suggested that I also disconnect the subwoofer in the back as I had complained about the booming from the subwoofer even when the tuner settings were at the factory "balanced" setting. Have any of you done this? The technician said that I could just upgrade the speakers first, and then see if that made a difference and if not, then I could come back and he'd disconnect the subwoofer in the back. I'm thinking though that if I'm hearing the pounding or booming now with the radio turned up, I'll still hear it just the same with the new speakers because the subwoofer will still be there!!!!! Have any of you found that just replacing the front speakers would eliminate this problem somehow?
Depending on the speakers you choose, you may notice your "boomy" issue diminish... although I find it unlikely. How could a new pair of speakers fix the problem you ask? Simple. Each speaker can perform differently in many different area's. Specifically in an area called sensitivity. Think of sensitivity as the capability of a speaker to turn electrical power into sound. The more sensitive the speaker the less power it will take to drive that speaker to an equal volume of a less sensitive speaker. If the aftermarket speaker you chose was more sensitive than the factory one's, they would be playing louder at an equal volume. Find one sensitive enough and you may be able to level out the sound to your liking. Unfortunately Honda will not have the rated sensitivity of the factory speakers published, so this will be an entirely trial and error process.

Question #2

And secondly, the salesman recommended some speakers called the Eclipse SE8962 (with tilted tweeters) 2-way speakers for the Pilot. He said they are very good speakers. Do any of you know if these are any good? I believe the speakers I had in my old Honda Accord were Bose speakers, and I thought they sounded very good. However, the salesman said that he didn't like Bose speakers and then quoted, "No highs, no lows, must be Bose," whatever he meant by that.
Speaking from experience, the Eclipse speakers he was suggesting are an excellent choice. I am not suprised the salesman frowned upon Bose. His "No Highs, No Lows" qoute is common in the industry. Usually you would find a Home Audio salesman saying that, not a car audio salesman. Reguardless, you should know that Bose DOES NOT involve themselves into the aftermarket car stereo world. In other words, unless the vehicle came from the factory with a Bose system installed you are out of luck. They do this to ensure that every vehicle audio system with the Bose name is designed specifically for that car. Anything less could affect public opinion. A pretty respectable stance in my opinion.

My suggestion? The best solution for you sounds to be simply to add an amplifier to the factory speakers (excluding the subwoofer, but leaving it connected). This would solve several problems... #1 because the front and rear speakers would be getting more power, this should easily level out the sound and eliminate the "boominess" you described. #2 This will give you FAR better sound than what you are getting now and a much higher volume capability. I think you will be astonished at the capabilities of the factory speakers with the right amplifier. I'll go ahead and prepare you, the salesman may try to say "the factory speakers won't handle it". This is a sign of an inexperienced salesman. Smile... Turn around... and go to another store. I noticed you are in CA... Might I suggest http://www.tweeter.com.

For more info click on this thread: http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3525

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Birdman said:
I'm glad you brought this up. What the heck are the best replacement speakers for the Pilot? Is there a car speaker rating/testing site we could go to? It would be great to get by the sales hype and get some "objective opinion" about what sounds good for the Pilot, or any other vehicle for that matter. If anyone knows of a source of good info, chime in.
Speakers are COMPLETELY a matter of personal opinion. There is no single best when it comes to sound. Certain speakers may physically fit better than others, but Honda vehicles are by no means an odd or rare size. Some suggestions of brands to look at in my personal opinion would be (in no specific order): JL Audio, Boston Acoustics, MB Quart, Eclipse and Polk Audio.

Keep in mind although speakers are one piece of the "better sound" puzzle... an even more important one is power. A good quality amplifier can make as much of a difference if not more so, than a upgraded pair of speakers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What type of amplifier -- are they all the same?

Thanks for your response 11psiGSR. You sure know a lot about stereo stuff -- do you work in the industry?

You mentioned "the right amplifier," are there different kinds? What type should I get? What ever the salesperson recommends?

Also, it seems that you're saying I should try getting an amplifier first and see if that solves the problem. Do you think that would solve the problem with the music sounding muffled and foggy and make it sound crisper and clearer (I'm not referring to the static here, just the sound)? Or do you think I'd actually need a new set of speakers to solve that problem?

Thanks again!!! :)

DeniseT

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi.
The most commonly used upgrade for the speakers is Infinity Reference 652i.
It is a very easy replacement, cheep ($50 a pair) and sound much better then factory speakers.
If you look for something better then check CDT Audio, Focal, JL Audio, MB Quart, DynaAudio and others. Keep in mind that you may possibly have to cut bigger opening in the door and possibly add extra amplifier to overcome low efficiency of most of the high-end speakers.
Unless you are an audiophile my advise is to use Infinity 652i, do it yourself and save a lot of money. Do not touch the subwoofer and see if the bass improves. You can always deal with the sub another day.

Good luck.

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=1002

·
Registered
36 Posts
Denise...

You mentioned "the right amplifier," are there different kinds? What type should I get? What ever the salesperson recommends?
Some examples of amplifiers you may want to look at would be:
Eclipse EA3422
Alpine MRVF340
Kicker KX300.4

These are all 4 channel amplifiers with the capability of being added to a stock radio fairly simply. There are MANY others out there... these are just examples. They will also integrate easily to aftermarket radios as well, if you decide to buy one in the future.

Also, it seems that you're saying I should try getting an amplifier first and see if that solves the problem. Do you think that would solve the problem with the music sounding muffled and foggy and make it sound crisper and clearer (I'm not referring to the static here, just the sound)? Or do you think I'd actually need a new set of speakers to solve that problem?
I am suggesting this because you will probably notice a much bigger difference in sound, than just replacing the speakers alone. Keep in mind, when you just replace the speakers you are still using the VERY weak amplifier from the factory system. This is usually the weakest link in factory audio. If you still decide to replace the speakers after the amplifier is in, the install is no more difficult. Hopefully you won't need the speakers, so it may save you some money in the long run.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I changed all the speakers to Infinity Kappa 62.5i. The sound is much more clear and none of that muffle sound at normal volume. I haven't disconnect the subwoofer and the boomy noise comes still exist when volume is high. I am still shopping around for a good amp and subwoofer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
11psiGSR

The original speakers are of very low quality and adding the amplifier will not change that.
You will still have mid bass pike and very distorted bass because those speakers cannot sound any better, no matter how much power you feed them.
Adding an amplifier is very important and will do wonders for the audio system in the Pilot, but it is a second step.

·
Registered
36 Posts
lesm said:
11psiGSR

The original speakers are of very low quality and adding the amplifier will not change that.
You will still have mid bass pike and very distorted bass because those speakers cannot sound any better, no matter how much power you feed them.
Adding an amplifier is very important and will do wonders for the audio system in the Pilot, but it is a second step.
No offense... but that is simply NOT the case. The distortion being created from most factory systems (or ANY system for that matter) is almost always a function of the amplifier and it's inability to deliver electrical current to the speaker without audible clipping.

As to your second statement stating that "those speakers cannot sound any better"... Once again, this is incorrect. Although they are certainly not what anyone would consider a "high end" driver, they are considerably better than most people (yourself included) assume. Given the right amount of clean power, the stock speakers in most vehicles can sound incredible.

Of course replacing the factory speakers can and will improve the sound further... However, expecting an aftermarket speaker to perform properly off of a factory head unit is a recipe for blown drivers. Remember it is distortion that kills a speaker... and at a high volume, that is about all you are getting out of the stock amplifier.

·
Registered
60 Posts
11psiGSR

The original Honda Pilot speakers are full range with very nasty frequency response,
I used a test cd and calibrated microphone to test the whole frequency response of those speakers, and it is very poor. Front tweeters are too far to equalize the high frequency response and bass is just awful. Test is made with only 1 Watt power. Running the same test on the power with voltage meter also shows some abnormality but not as severe. I replaced all 4 speakers with CDT Audio Braxials made very big difference. Front tweeters had to be replaced too with CDT-1LP. Subwoofer was disconnected.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The original Honda Pilot speakers are full range with very nasty frequency response
Of course they are full range.... and so is a set of 652i's. The only crossover used on those drivers is a capacitor to prevent damage to the tweeter. Therefore the midbass driver is simply playing full range... EXACTLY the way the stock drivers are.

I used a test cd and calibrated microphone to test the whole frequency response of those speakers, and it is very poor. Front tweeters are too far to equalize the response in high regency and bass is just awful. Test is made with only 1 Watt power. Running the same test on the power with voltage meter also shows some abnormality but not as severe.
Ummm.. where do i begin here?

I used a test cd and calibrated microphone to test the whole frequency response of those speakers, and it is very poor.
What method of measurement can you possibly use to rate frequency response as "poor". Using a 1/3 octive RTA hardly tells you how good a system sounds... It merely gives you an idea of the interactivity between the speakers and their environment. You CANNOT look at something as a measurement and say "Hey, that sounds good".

Test is made with only 1 Watt power.
Why would you perform a frequency response test with 1 watt? You got your tests mixed up slick... SENSITIVITY is typically tested at 1 watt / 1 meter.

Running the same test on the power with voltage meter also shows some abnormality but not as severe.
This test would demonstrate nothing. Voltage fluctuations would be minute because the stock head unit draws very little current. The stock battery and alternator are more than sufficient to prevent massive voltage swings in the vehicle for this system. This test only proves Honda has provided power wire of a sufficient gauge to prevent voltage loss.

Stop trying to impress people with your lack of knowledge. You are certainly entitiled to your opinion. However, looking at the title on my buisiness card, I would say I'm in a pretty good position to share mine as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
WOW EASY 11psiGSR

- Yes infinity 62.5i and original Alpine speakers are full range (well almost) , but 6.5 midbass is not capable to reproduce high frequency that’s why infinity has separate tweeter .

- Yes crossover is used to protect tweeter but also to keep each driver within its best performance and transition from one driver to the next.

- Yes Frequency response cannot tell you how the speaker sounds but it will tell you if there is something seriously wrong

- I did not use a 1/3 octave RTA but spot frequency from about 80 Hz to 15KHz

- Power was tested at radio output,
:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EXL
110 Posts
How and where did you disconnect the subwoofer? Did you do it from behind the head unit in the dash or somewhere else where the wiring was routed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts