Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, in the middle of replacing my speakers. The existing wire colors are red and blue. Can anyone tell me which color is +/-

thanks!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Assuming wire color continues unbroken from head unit, rear speakers red is +, and blue is -.
Front left is opposite: blue is +, red is -.
Front right, red is+, brown is -.

·
Registered
744 Posts
That said, you can easily test it.
You can order this rather handy device

Or you can just use a 9V battery with a pair of wires taped to its terminals.
Watch speaker cone. If it pops out, it means you touched + to + and - to -. So that should tell you the connector polarity.

You could also get those Metra adapters (Crutchfield provides them free with speaker purchase)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That said, you can easily test it.
You can order this rather handy device

Or you can just use a 9V battery with a pair of wires taped to its terminals.
Watch speaker cone. If it pops out, it means you touched + to + and - to -. So that should tell you the connector polarity.

You could also get those Metra adapters (Crutchfield provides them free with speaker purchase)
thanks to all of you that took the time to reply. I have all the speakers installed. They sound great except now there is an audible rumble (sounds like it's coming from the sub) at low RPMs. It's not constant, only when excellerating from a stop. I will assume it might have something to do with the noise cancelling system I have read about, but I thought that was only an issue when/if you swap out the head unit or the amp and not when replacing the speakers. Any ideas?

·
Registered
744 Posts
What model speakers have you installed instead of the factory ones?
Some ideas:
1. new speakers have better low frequency response, so you are getting too much 'cancellation'
2. you actually connected ALL new speakers backwards. They will be in phase with each other and sound good but out of phase with the ANC - in fact doubling the noise they are trying to phase out.

You can try this ANC disable procedure I found:
Turn the ignition switch on the I (radio) position.
Turn the radio on and check it operates normally, and turn the radio off.
Press and hold the preset buttons #1, #6, and volumn (VOL) push button at the same time.
when you see 'DIAG' appears on the display, you can release the buttons
Press the #1 preset button, you see 'ANC ON' on the display.
Press the #1 preset button again to turn the ANC OFF and hear a humming/booming noise coming from the speakers for about 1 minute
Not sure if this is just diagnostic or will actually disable the ANC. (You might instead need to go all the way to 11th test by pressing the #1 button repeatedly 22 times)

If this will not take care of things, you might consider snipping the ANC microphone inputs at the head unit. They are pins 4 and 5 (both white, right next to the locking tab) on the connector E, which is 16P connector that is closest to the center on the back of audio unit.
Another option is to disconnect the ANC front and rear microphones, but if you have factory HandsFreeLink (bluetooth), you would lose that microphone too...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What model speakers have you installed instead of the factory ones?
Some ideas:
1. new speakers have better low frequency response, so you are getting too much 'cancellation'
2. you actually connected ALL new speakers backwards. They will be in phase with each other and sound good but out of phase with the ANC - in fact doubling the noise they are trying to phase out.

You can try this ANC disable procedure I found:

Not sure if this is just diagnostic or will actually disable the ANC. (You might instead need to go all the way to 11th test by pressing the #1 button repeatedly 22 times)

If this will not take care of things, you might consider snipping the ANC microphone inputs at the head unit. They are pins 4 and 5 (both white, right next to the locking tab) on the connector E, which is 16P connector that is closest to the center on the back of audio unit.
Another option is to disconnect the ANC front and rear microphones, but if you have factory HandsFreeLink (bluetooth), you would lose that microphone too...
the speakers are CDT Audio COM-626 CR. It’s a component system. I will double check phase but I am certain they are correct. It isnt audible all the time. Is it possible the wires are picking up some interference? It’s at it’s worse at about 900rpm and 1900rpm. It. Didnt start doing it until i added the rear speakers so i am going to start there. Somethings else I noticed is i need to turn volume up quite a bit more with the new speakers. Guess they arent as efficient as factory? Will check back in a bit after i poke around.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well....it turns out the rear speakers were out of phase. So far it seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks for all the help @scorrpio you have been a huge help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts