Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 Pilot is (unfortunately) near 100,000 miles. The B14 service advisory came on. This calls for changing the spark plugs, timing belt, and water pump. I searched this forum and YouTube and I was unable to find any info on these jobs for a 2016+ Pilot. All of the YouTube videos I found were for the previous generation pilot.

I'm pretty handy and like to do most jobs myself (to save money). For example, I always do my brakes on my own. How big of a job is this? I've seen some posts on the forum about the cost of this from a shop and those posts reported costs ranging from $600-$1800!

1. I'm not nervous about the spark plugs, I'm just wondering if I can actually reach/access them. My previous vehicle was a 2011 GMC Acadia, and there was no way to reach the back to spark plugs. I had to bring it to a shop. I think the repair manual for that vehicle even recommended dropping the engine a few inches just to change plugs, which seems ridiculous to me. How accessible are the plugs in this vehicle?

2. I have never changes a timing belt. Is this something that I can/should tackle on my own, or is this best left to a mechanic. I'm trying to avoid a $1000+ bill, but I also don't want to ruin my pilot...

Thanks,

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,571 Posts
My 2016 Pilot is (unfortunately) near 100,000 miles. The B14 service advisory came on. This calls for changing the spark plugs, timing belt, and water pump. I searched this forum and YouTube and I was unable to find any info on these jobs for a 2016+ Pilot. All of the YouTube videos I found were for the previous generation pilot.

I'm pretty handy and like to do most jobs myself (to save money). For example, I always do my brakes on my own. How big of a job is this? I've seen some posts on the forum about the cost of this from a shop and those posts reported costs ranging from $600-$1800!

1. I'm not nervous about the spark plugs, I'm just wondering if I can actually reach/access them. My previous vehicle was a 2011 GMC Acadia, and there was no way to reach the back to spark plugs. I had to bring it to a shop. I think the repair manual for that vehicle even recommended dropping the engine a few inches just to change plugs, which seems ridiculous to me. How accessible are the plugs in this vehicle?

2. I have never changes a timing belt. Is this something that I can/should tackle on my own, or is this best left to a mechanic. I'm trying to avoid a $1000+ bill, but I also don't want to ruin my pilot...

Thanks,
If you're not confident in it, there's no reason to try and do it. Worse case is you get it disassembled and you have to have it towed to a mechanic. You'd be spending about $300-400 in parts plus any tools you would need to buy. To me (speaking as someone who is very budget conscious) it's worth paying $1000 to a mechanic. Not only is it guaranteed to be finished in a timely manor, the mechanic will be able to check other things and advise if those need to be fixed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
if parts are going to be $300-400, and even though you consider yourself handy, but you dont have experiene with this vehicle and have to learn on the go so your taking a lot of time. Time is money. If its $1000 from the shop, ill just pay the shop.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am pretty sure a Honda dealer is going to charge more than $1100 for a timing belt job. They quoted me $ 1250 for my sons 2002 Accord, and that was 2 years ago. I would trust a Honda shop more than a smaller place. And as the above replier said, you are guaranteed your vehicle back in a timely manner, well I am not so sure about that. Let us know what you do.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Timing belt isn't hard, but it's a lot of work. If you lack the confidence then pay the shop. You can mess it up if you don't have experience. I did mine on a 2010 Ridgeline a few years back. It's easy if you're used to that type of work, but will take you a while. I've been doing this type of work since I was a kid though so it comes easier. You can get really overwhelmed if you've never done it.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Timing belt isn't hard, but it's a lot of work. If you lack the confidence then pay the shop. You can mess it up if you don't have experience. I did mine on a 2010 Ridgeline a few years back. It's easy if you're used to that type of work, but will take you a while. I've been doing this type of work since I was a kid though so it comes easier. You can get really overwhelmed if you've never done it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OP, if you decide to do the timing belt, please do a video and post it on YT. My wife's Pilot only has 60K miles on hers, so hopefully, when it reaches 100K, there will be videos on how to do the timing belt and spark plugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can I ask another question on this chain - I can’t seem to find the interval for timing belt for my 16 Pilot! I assume it is near 100k miles but can only find 60k extreme temperature. Any guidance? Thanks.

·
Registered
883 Posts
It should be somewhere around 105000 miles if I recall. MM Code #4 should pop up which will call for this service.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had my acura rl tming belt done at the Honda dealer a few years ago, it was around $800. Thought that was fair, it’s a lot of work. Didn’t include tensioner, which they said was fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@ski rush
What did you end up doing?
I have a 2016, just hit 100K, and I took her in for oil and tire rotation - and asked for quote on timing/water pump. Im in SW FL- Which likely played a role... was quoted $1400. From Honda dealer.
I’m very handy and so is my husband... I’m considering trying to tackle it myself Considering I can pickup belt and pump for $100. (Highway robbery!)

the also offered to change cabin air filter for 50. 😂 I YouTubed it- and did myself for 6$ and 2 minutes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
@ski rush
I have a 2016, just hit 100K, and I took her in for oil and tire rotation - and asked for quote on timing/water pump. Im in SW FL- Which likely played a role... was quoted $1400. From Honda dealer.
I’m very handy and so is my husband... I’m considering trying to tackle it myself Considering I can pickup belt and pump for $100. (Highway robbery!)

the also offered to change cabin air filter for 50. 😂 I YouTubed it- and did myself for 6$ and 2 minutes.
If pretty straight forward and easy access from the passenger side. Im yet to do mine but i looked in the engine bay and it seem easy. Dont forget you need coolant, serpentine belt if you have change that out yet, Idler pulley, tensioner, water pump with gasket, and while your there maybe the thermostat if you want. I believe you have to take the passenger side motor mount out like the previous gen to access the water pump housing. I did the pricing with oem parts looking around 400-500. At that mileage spark plugs will be due to.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
OP, if here and haven't done this yet, or for others maybe?

It may be a different Gen Pilot, but AFAIK, the engines are the same. Same install, etc.?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
@ski rush

The TB WP job is not difficult once you get past the crankshaft pulley bolt. I haven't found a video on 3rd Gen Pilots. Other than having the electronic Power Steering to work around and a different drive belt configuration, what's under the timing belt covers has not changed.
The majority of those who DIY would recommend the Aisin Kit (TKH002) to do this job. There are a lot of bad aftermarket parts being sold. Even using this part # but there not a real Aisin kit. I buy from RockAuto for the real deal.

Get 5% with this code until November 12, 2020.
3AE5CBE8F18A03

Confirm the discount has been applied before payment.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
By the stealership of course. I’m going to have them do it when my car turns 6 in July. I still have Honda care for 8/120 through July 2023

The way I look at it is I’m going to need a timing belt anyway so what does it make a difference if I do it potentially one or two years earlier. Yes, over time I might actually end up needing one additional timing belt versus waiting eight years. If I actually make it to needing a second timing belt (or third?) due to years or mileage I’ll be happy the car lasted that long.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
By the stealership of course. I’m going to have them do it when my car turns 6 in July. I still have Honda care for 8/120 through July 2023
The pre-MM schedule for timing belt replacement was every 7-years/105K-miles, whichever comes first.
What is your present mileage?
Are you still putting on miles at the same rate as you were pre-COVID-19?
What is the downside of waiting until you get the prompt from the MM?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts