Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 pilot touring, 95,000 miles. Just changed plugs, see pix attached. Never had a misfire, installed s-vcm 6 months/3,000 miles ago. Dealer downloaded codes 8 months ago and found no problem codes. Need to do tb/wp etc soon So I had dealer pull plugs first, inspect them, and tell me what they can see regarding fouling, ring problems etc. They reported “some fouling on cyl 1-4 tips and some crusted build-up on 1-4 compared to cyl 5&6. No misfire found and everything working nicely. May need rings further down the line.” Pix show graying on the white insulators on 1-4 and crusty build-up on 1-4 electrodes compared to 5&6. Any big concerns here or do I have problems. I want to decide whether to spend $$ on tb/wp, brakes etc and keep it or say good bye to Honda after 40 years of ownership. What do y’all think?
70D63A6C-E383-465E-9D41-BEB9F787BF73.jpeg
1DBDA8CC-A1A0-41C3-A893-F136E3F41942.jpeg
53D95A89-B53A-494F-A0F3-8805917EDF13.jpeg
70D63A6C-E383-465E-9D41-BEB9F787BF73.jpeg 1DBDA8CC-A1A0-41C3-A893-F136E3F41942.jpeg 53D95A89-B53A-494F-A0F3-8805917EDF13.jpeg 70D63A6C-E383-465E-9D41-BEB9F787BF73.jpeg 1DBDA8CC-A1A0-41C3-A893-F136E3F41942.jpeg 53D95A89-B53A-494F-A0F3-8805917EDF13.jpeg

·
Registered
685 Posts
Instead of trying to read the plugs with 90k miles of vcm use, I think I’d look at oil consumption. As long as it’s not using a lot of oil, I’d do the timing belt and water pump and drive it until you don’t want to anymore.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have only had s-vcm on for 3,000 miles and does not use any oil. Sorry about all the pix, the first 3 are the ones, guess my finger got stuck on the select button.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
The first 4 plugs certainly show how an active VCM can dirty up things in your cylinders. But if you look closely, although the plugs are dark, they are dry. With a fresh set of plugs, they will not look this dark again with your VCM deactivated. Your seeing what once was.
In my opinion your in good shape and not fouling any more. Certainly worth keeping.

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
685 Posts
have only had s-vcm on for 3,000 miles and does not use any oil. Sorry about all the pix, the first 3 are the ones, guess my finger got stuck on the select button.
I wouldn’t worry about it at all then personally.

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
2012 pilot touring, 95,000 miles. Just changed plugs, see pix attached. Any big concerns here or do I have problems.
I want to decide whether to spend $$ on tb/wp, brakes etc and keep it or say good bye to Honda after 40 years of ownership. What do y’all think?
Sounds as though you really want a new vehicle and are just looking for an excuse to make the switch.
If you're considering saying "good bye to Honda", to what brand of vehicle would you be saying "hello"?

Assuming that you do decide to "spend $$ on tb/wp, brakes etc", would you be happy keeping this Pilot for a few more years to get your money's worth out of those maintenance expenditures?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
xGS you are seeing right into my mind - or that empty space between my ears. Would like a new vehicle but do not like the idea of car payments, especially now that we are both seasoned citizens. We have always kept our cars for 12+years and 150,000+ miles so any thoughts of getting rid of this one so soon is new to us. We like our boxy, roomy Pilot but not the rounded, frumpy, lookalikes available today. We do not know what else we would even look at, we have never looked at anything but Honda for 40 years. But all these vcm related problems have rattled my confidence in Honda. Y’all responses so far are telling me to keep it and keep it up.

·
Registered
685 Posts
xGS you are seeing right into my mind - or that empty space between my ears. Would like a new vehicle but do not like the idea of car payments, especially now that we are both seasoned citizens. We have always kept our cars for 12+years and 150,000+ miles so any thoughts of getting rid of this one so soon is new to us. We like our boxy, roomy Pilot but not the rounded, frumpy, lookalikes available today. We do not know what else we would even look at, we have never looked at anything but Honda for 40 years. But all these vcm related problems have rattled my confidence in Honda. Y’all responses so far are telling me to keep it and keep it up.
Get rid of it because you don’t like driving it anymore... but if you’re looking for someone to tell you it’s on it’s last leg.... that’s gonna be a tough one.

Personally I struggle as I really find the Pilot pretty boring and one of the worst “drivers cars” I’ve ever driven. My wife loves it and it’s hers, though with the kids I drive it as much as she does. I’m convinced we’d both be happier with a twin turbo v8 BMW X5 or something... but if you think VCM is dumb and repair prone, just wait until those N63 hot V engine out repair bills start rolling in. And this is why we will probably have our Pilot for a looong time.

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
Start looking around at anything and everything that might meet your needs to see if something new might appeal to you.
I went through that exercise last year and found nothing that made me particularly eager to spend $30-40K, or more, on a new vehicle, so I had the timing belt replaced on my old Pilot for the second time.
Especially with the limited amount of driving I'm doing now due to COVID-19, that has turned out to have been a fortuitous decision.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I say it is ours, but really it is HERS, and she likes it. I only get to tend to the fixing, washing and waxing. Dumb and repair prone must follow me around because that Is what I call MY 04 F150 with Mr. Ford’s crappy 5.4L 3 valve engine that had to be replaced at only 98,000 miles. Now that cost$$. I plan to keep It to 20 years so I can get one of those collector license plates - it’s a bucket list thing.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
With the VCM disabled, I'd keep it up. I'd make sure the cooling system is in tip top shape. Make sure both cooling fans come on triggered by the A/C or engine temperature sensor as it's supposed to. If you don't get another 100k miles out of the vehicle, someone else will when the dealership sells it a week later after you trade. Your vehicle is in high demand.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Dumb and repair prone must follow me around because that Is what I call MY 04 F150 with Mr. Ford’s crappy 5.4L 3 valve engine that had to be replaced at only 98,000 miles. Now that cost$$.
OUCH!!! Yeah those didn't seem to be Ford's best effort that's for sure. Plus the spark plugs are virtually impossible to remove without breaking off in the head.

VW years ago had "coolant migration" where the sensor on the pressurized coolant bottle would leak and push coolant THROUGH the wires which would land in the ECU or other places causing crazy random problems. While VW at that time was really known for problems... it still always made me think how insane it must be to truly "think of everything" when designing a car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not familiar with sheep truck problems but ford certainly is deserving if the four letter name it has with me. I really do not want to have a similar bad experience with Honda and have to find a naughty five letter word for it. Having a vehicle brand fail you does help exclude it from the list for the next vehicle purchase, but it is an expensive way to narrow the selection down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG, Mrs. Boulder just saw me texting and declared that since it does not look she will get a new ride then she wants a new kitchen. I can‘t win.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
OMG, Mrs. Boulder just saw me texting and declared that since it does not look she will get a new ride then she wants a new kitchen. I can‘t win.
Haha good luck!

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
VW years ago had "coolant migration" where the sensor on the pressurized coolant bottle would leak and push coolant THROUGH the wires which would land in the ECU or other places causing crazy random problems.
That must be how the term "blinker fluid" came about.

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
Ask her if the food will taste any better from a new kitchen - then duck.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I've danced that dance before, let's say that I seldom got the new toy that I planned to "invest in" with a fat project fee or bonus. We have always had nice kitchens (and bathrooms and...) that were undoubtedly better investments that a depreciating exotic toy something. I've told her that she can drive anything she wants, hoping for reciprocity; she tells me the same thing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts