Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded to a "Premium" spark plug? Something like the Bosch Platinum 4, or one of the better plugs from NGK? Just curious if it would provide a performance/mileage improvement.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
hobbydad said:
Has anyone upgraded to a "Premium" spark plug? Something like the Bosch Platinum 4, or one of the better plugs from NGK? Just curious if it would provide a performance/mileage improvement.
100K miles between tuneups is not "premium" enough???? :D

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: Spark plugs anyone?

colorider said:

100K miles between tuneups is not "premium" enough???? :D
That was my reaction. Doesn't the Pilot use some fancy plug type (other than platinum), or am I getting it confused with the Highlander?:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not really sure, that's why I'm asking. I know the owners manual gives you an NGK plug part number. I never really thought about the 105k scheduled change for the OEM plugs. I guess I'm still kind of old school when it comes to maintenance. I still find it hard to believe any plug could last that long. I'm really just fishing for ways to improve performance/mileage. K&N filters, synthetic oils, better plugs, ect.. Items that may or may not improve performance without voiding the warranty. Next time I take the kids to the drag strip I would like to do better than a 15.9!:D

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
was that your Pilot that did a 15.9? If so, that's [email protected] good!:eek:

I'm trying to picture a Pilot in the staging lanes..... pulling up the starting line... making a perfect launch thanks to VTM-4 while the opponent smokes their tires... and winning to boot. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I have my answer. I went to NGK's web site and they have 4 types of plugs you can purchase. The standard OEM plug for the Pilot is their second best, the "Laser Platinum" plug. They offer only one better, the Irridium plug, and they retail for around $10 ea.. Guess we already have the best. Not too shabby of Honda to use that as their OEM standard plug.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
hobbydad said:
I guess I'm still kind of old school when it comes to maintenance. I still find it hard to believe any plug could last that long.
I was running platinum plugs in my Subarus back in the 80's and could go over 100K miles without touching them. Mileage never dropped and never had a starting problem.

Greatest thing since sliced bread!!!

YMMV

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts