Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced all six spark plugs in my 2003 Pilot even though it was not running bad. I have 230k miles and plugs have not been changed in about 120k miles. After a straightforward replacement of the plugs, I am now getting consistent misfiring of cylinders #3 and #5. I put one of the old plugs back in #5 and no change in misfire. I expected the Pilot to run like a top with new plugs, but don't know what's going on. Anyone ever experience anything like this?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Check the gap on the plugs .. check to see if you didn't pop an air hose by mistake ..

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Gap checked at .042"

Hmm Supposed to be a gap of .044.. shouldn't matter that much . Check the wire caps leading to the spark plugs re seat them if need be ..

Very odd ..should not cause a misfire after a plug swap ...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Exactly! What plugs did you use? Should only use OEM which is NGK.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it possible the spring on the coil pack that engages the plug got pushed back during installation and not making good contact with the plug?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Initially after the plug change, I had misfires indicated on cylinders #3 and #5 per my OBD-II reader. I reset the codes and after driving around a short distance, the check engine late came back on and I am getting random misfires on all six cylinders. As yet I have not found any lose wires or hose that is causing this, but doesn't look like the new plugs or anything directly related to them.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Did any grease with insulator properties get onto any of the metal to metal electrical contacts?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
What about where the coil pack mates with the top of the spark plug?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I never heard of putting anti-seize on plug threads and never did that myself. Did Honda recommend doing that?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Not sure if Honda recommends it but it seems to be a common practice among some automakers. From what I have read torque spec on the plugs should be reduced by roughly 1/3 if antisieze is used and the manufacturer does not recommend it. I have used antisieze on other vehicles and will use it in 6k miles when my Pilot reaches 105k miles.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I never heard of putting anti-seize on plug threads and never did that myself. Did Honda recommend doing that?
Don't see why we should since we have issues with too much oil with the plugs in the first place :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts