Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a quick question on changing the spark plugs. Pilot has 145k and want to change the plugs I know ngk laser iridium is recommended. Not sure if the 93175 it’s the ix at about $5 a piece or the 90074 about $11 a piece from rockauto site. Also should I change the boots on the coils as well? Thanks for all of your anticipated help.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
IX plugs are lower in price, and others have used and claim there fine. Just know that they do not last as long.
I personally would only use these 2.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I’ll go with the 90075. As long they last longer. Should I change boots?

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Thanks I’ll go with the 90075. As long they last longer. Should I change boots?
I'm assuming you meant 90074.
There is no reason to replace the boots, unless they have been ruined by oil being present in the spark plug tubes. In this case you would also need to replace valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'll just add that I'm one of those who has personally experienced the short life of the IX series plugs. It happened in my IS300 and I was beyond shocked when I started getting misfires with only ~50k miles on the plugs. OEM plugs on the IS looked <new> when removed @ 90k. Never again with the IX.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Some of us are experimenting with the new NGK Ruthenium HX plugs. They are supposed to be able to go the distance. I've got a set in a V8 Nissan 5.6L engine with over 40k miles, so far they are performing well. I don't know anyone that has 100k miles on a set... yet.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Some of us are experimenting with the new NGK Ruthenium HX plugs. They are supposed to be able to go the distance. I've got a set in a V8 Nissan 5.6L engine with over 40k miles, so far they are performing well. I don't know anyone that has 100k miles on a set... yet.
I just put a set of Rutheniums in a 2012 EX-L 4WD ... stay tuned for the report in about .... oh ... around ... ahh ... let's see 8k miles/yr ... carry the 2 bring down the zero ... ahhh ohhh ... the Spring of 2035.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
I just put a set of Rutheniums in a 2012 EX-L 4WD ... stay tuned for the report in about .... oh ... around ... ahh ... let's see 8k miles/yr ... carry the 2 bring down the zero ... ahhh ohhh ... the Spring of 2035.
I waited and waited....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts