Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a 2007 pilot with 210,000 miles. I went to replace the plugs today, and when I tried to install the back right plug(the one closest to the steering wheel), it won’t catch the threads. It just keeps spinning. The old plug looks like the first part of the threads are stripped on it, although it came out without a struggle. They had never been serviced before. Any suggestions on what I might do to get that new plug in place? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sometime you can clean up the threads in the head - if there are threads left - using a thread chaser. The one below is similar to the one I use. You will want to put grease on it before you use it to catch any shavings it removes to keep them from falling in the head.

I would try that first.
Limited access thread chaser

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'd get a thread chaser in there and an inspection camera, before do any more serious head work. Stripped/blown out threads are not that common. With the long tubes on these, it is not easy to cross thread them either.... they go in pretty straight.

That sucks, such a simple job turning into a bit of a nightmare.

Reactions: huntertn

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Good tip on using some grease on the thread chaser to minimize what may fall in. Just for reference during a relatively simple O2 sensor removal some boogered up threads ruined my day. Depending upon what the remaining threads look like a sharp tap could do the trick. In my case debris in the exhaust was not a concern.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts