Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!
According to the Chilton R.M, spark plugs gap should be between 0.039in and 0.043in (I attached a picture)

I received my NGK IZFR5K11 and they are all gapped to 0.035in.
However, I've read that self gapping is not very recommended...
Now the question is: " To gap or not to gap?馃"

I have an 06 Pilot.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
Well that dont make a lot of sense. I'd want to gap to the lower number .039, Gently.

Registered
Hello everyone!
According to the Chilton R.M, spark plugs gap should be between 0.039in and 0.043in (I attached a picture)

I received my NGK IZFR5K11 and they are all gapped to 0.035in.
However, I've read that self gapping is not very recommended...
Now the question is: " To gap or not to gap?馃"

I have an 06 Pilot.

Thanks in advance!
You are correct, the new plugs need to be gapped! I used to think that gapping modern plugs was unnecessary, but I was wrong. I just checked on NGK's website. They pregap their plugs to the most common setting, good for most engines. However, some engines require a different gap, so a careful adjustment is needed. Thanks for calling this out!

Registered
Yes, I too, didn't quit understand why gapping iridium plugs isn't recommended.. (if done properly obviously)

But thanks for confirming!
Its because the center electrode is small. It can be damaged when prying up the ground electrode. I'd worry which one is bending. Inspect carefully your gentle work.

Registered
While we're there can you also confirm me that the reading is 0.035 and not 34 nor 36?Because it's my first time using this tool 馃し馃徑鈥嶁檪锔
By the photo, that's .037

Registered
My Iridium's have never been gapped to full size they are always 3 to 4 100ths smaller. I believe this is due to the no gap adjusting rule. Iridium plugs are hard and brittle and gapping them often damages the plug
As plugs wear the gap enlarges. I believe the gap is smaller so as the plug ages the gap will stay in a more functional range. Just make sure they all match so the firing in the different cylinders is as equal as possible. If you need to take them back and have the counter pull enough to make a matched set.
I've also had an issue with the wrong plug in the box. Plugs are gapped 10/100ths smaller for vehicles using natural gas.

Registered
My Iridium's have never been gapped to full size they are always 3 to 4 100ths smaller. I believe this is due to the no gap adjusting rule. Iridium plugs are hard and brittle and gapping them often damages the plug
As plugs wear the gap enlarges. I believe the gap is smaller so as the plug ages the gap will stay in a more functional range. Just make sure they all match so the firing in the different cylinders is as equal as possible. If you need to take them back and have the counter pull enough to make a matched set.
I've also had an issue with the wrong plug in the box. Plugs are gapped 10/100ths smaller for vehicles using natural gas.
I believe that you mean to say "thousandths", not 100ths. The missing zero is significant. As for the gap enlarging, I would be curious what the plug mfr. says about the rate of change. Electrode erosion is minimal with platinum/iridium.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for taking the time to give your opinion and helping me in the way you can! Mknmike thanks for confirming that I bought the real one.

I decided that I will gap them to 0.039in and I will keep you updated after approximately a week or so.

Again, thanks for your help yall!

Attachments

Registered

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
I didn't gap my NGK Laser Iridiums, but now this thread has got me wondering. Performance seems OK out of the box, though.

Salut @Patochelaroche; why not have fun and add a poll to this thread? :) It could be as entertaining and informative as my legendary poll: ATF: Fill Hole or Dipstick Port?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't gap my NGK Laser Iridiums, but now this thread has got me wondering. Performance seems OK out of the box, though.

Salut @Patochelaroche; why not have fun and add a poll to this thread? :) It could be as entertaining and informative as my legendary poll: ATF: Fill Hole or Dipstick Port?
C'est pas une mauvaise id茅e, mais je n'aime pas semer la bisbille ;)

The article that @Nail Grease posted really closed the loop for me!

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
Best $8.00 you can spend for checking/gapping your plugs. So many more uses than just checking plug gap.
Speak for yourself.

Order Summary

Items: USD 7.99
Shipping & handling: USD 7.11
Total before tax: USD 15.10
Estimated tax to be collected: USD 0.00
Order total: USD 15.10
Payment Total: CAD 21.21

Registered
1 - 20 of 31 Posts