Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of or actually indexed the spark plugs.
If so does it actually improve engine performance?
Thanks Glenn

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
I’ve never heard of this so out of curiosity looked it up. NGK’s website says maybe 1% improvement in performance, if you get it right. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't have any hard info, but the whole idea doesn't make technical sense to me. When the spark plug fires, both intake and exhaust valves have been closed for the entire time the piston has been rising and compressing the mixture. By this time, how the plug gap is oriented towards the long-ago-closed valves shouldn't make any difference. I suppose there might be some random combustion chamber swirl and turbulence effects that could result in slightly better mixture ignition with the plug gap oriented in some way, but I'd think this would be something you could determine only by trial/error on a dyno (or perhaps with a numeric model in a supercomputer), not by orienting the plugs to some rule of thumb indexing with respect to the valves.

- Mark

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
When the torque wrench pops at 13 foot pounds, it's not like I can orient the direction the gap is facing. It is what it is.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
IMO about as useful as putting magnets around the fuel line so the electrons will all line up in the fuel. Old wives and old mechanics are both born from the same myth mother.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
IMO about as useful as putting magnets around the fuel line so the electrons will all line up in the fuel. Old wives and old mechanics are both born from the same myth mother.
Ya, that sounds like snake oil but hey these multiple prong spark plugs have got to be better, right? More is better? There made by NGK!

(^^^This is not for your Honda, for amusement purposes only)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Worry about something real, like your next oil change, or when to have the tires rotated, or doing an ATF service after 15,000 miles instead of 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Wow I've never even heard of this before. I suppose race pit crews may do this kind of thing because it's worth it for them, I would never consider doing this in my vehicles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts