Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you, I wanted a full spare tire instead of the donut that came with the pilot. I reviewed the posts and almost joined into a group buy of four EX based wheels and tires that would have cost about $100 for one tire. This seemed like a little more than I wanted to spend and I did not feel the need to tote around a spare that matched my regular wheels and tires.

So I purchased the cheapest wheel (sometimes called rim) from discount tire for $45 (its all black), and they placed a used tire of the correct size. The used tire had about 50% thread left and cost me $15. So total was $60, and its very functional and fit perfectly under the Pilot. Fortunately, i had a nice coupon so my walk out price was $20.

So for those who want a full size spare but don't need the nice wheels and new tire, just something to consider.

carnal :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Has anyone tried a salvage yard?

·
Registered
138 Posts
carnal said:
Like many of you, I wanted a full spare tire instead of the donut that came with the pilot. I reviewed the posts and almost joined into a group buy of four EX based wheels and tires that would have cost about $100 for one tire. This seemed like a little more than I wanted to spend and I did not feel the need to tote around a spare that matched my regular wheels and tires.

So I purchased the cheapest wheel (sometimes called rim) from discount tire for $45 (its all black), and they placed a used tire of the correct size. The used tire had about 50% thread left and cost me $15. So total was $60, and its very functional and fit perfectly under the Pilot. Fortunately, i had a nice coupon so my walk out price was $20.

So for those who want a full size spare but don't need the nice wheels and new tire, just something to consider.

carnal :rolleyes:
$100 for the rim and tire isn't a bad price IMO. Rims alone aren't cheap, even used ones.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine came with a full size tire, I bought the Pilot in the Dominican
Republic !!!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
EFRANCOCA said:
Mine came with a full size tire, I bought the Pilot in the Dominican
Republic !!!
Welcome back ERFANCOCA... :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree Rainbowslim...$100 for the nice tire and wheel is a good price. however, i was looking for a good spare and didn't need the match to my OEM set.

I'll take a picture and post (if i can figure it out)...lol, i haven't yet figured out how to attach a unique avatar...but i'll try.
carnal
:1:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't understand why honda is not giving full size spare tire . I really doubt whether i can use that small temp spare tire . I think i shud buy a new full size spare tire rather than the doughnut

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
lalit said:
I don't understand why honda is not giving full size spare tire . . . .
Weight is the reason!
CAFE gas milage rules are the cause!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
lalit said:
I don't understand why honda is not giving full size spare tire . I really doubt whether i can use that small temp spare tire . I think i shud buy a new full size spare tire rather than the doughnut
What exactly is your concern with the donut spare? Do you normally do a "5-tire" rotation? If you're not - the spare will never hit the ground (except when you have a flat).

So when it comes time to trade your Pilot in, you will have a new or near new tire resting underneath.

Another problem with having a full size spare is when someone decides to upgrade to a larger size or different profile. All of a sudden you have 4 of one size and 1 of another - unless you spring for 5 new tires!

I prefer a 4-tire rotation and see little or no advantage of spending the money for a wheel/tire that will likely never touch the ground.

IMHO and YMMV

rod

:awais:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
colorider said:

What exactly is your concern with the donut spare? :awais:
If you travel at all, you could easily find yourself at the mercy of "Bob's towing and Tires" when you have a flat.

Have you ever had to buy a tire in a startge town, on a trip, with the kids, and 2 weeks of luggage loaded?

Do it once and you will be very happy to have a full size, full load and speed rated spare.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
N_Jay said:

If you travel at all, you could easily find yourself at the mercy of "Bob's towing and Tires" when you have a flat.

Have you ever had to buy a tire in a startge town, on a trip, with the kids, and 2 weeks of luggage loaded?

Do it once and you will be very happy to have a full size, full load and speed rated spare.
Well, let's see - I have been "traveling" off and on for some 40 years in a whole bunch of different vehicles (some with 2 wheels and some with 4). It hasn't happened yet - but as you say, it could! :eek:

YMMV

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
colorider said:

Well, let's see - I have been "traveling" off and on for some 40 years in a whole bunch of different vehicles (some with 2 wheels and some with 4). It hasn't happened yet - but as you say, it could! :eek:

YMMV
I have also been lucky, but it is cheaper then what a friend spent this past summer on his vacation due to a flat!

And I also have not cancelled the fire insurance on my house that I have not used in over 20 years.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
N_Jay said:

Weight is the reason!
CAFE gas milage rules are the cause!

Just wondering.....am I remembering correctly that Highlander provides a full-service spare????

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Ziploc said:

Just wondering.....am I remembering correctly that Highlander provides a full-service spare????
Yes, that is correct. Inside under the cargo floor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Reason for a full size spare tire....

If you do a lot of winter time driving and have a flat tire, I think you will have problems with how the AWD works since one tire is obviously narrower than the rest.

In addition, if you're caught in a real bad blizzard and requires tire chains, you will not be able to mount your chains on the narrower spare tire.

Of course, everything is speculation.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Reason for a full size spare tire....

dcchew said:
If you do a lot of winter time driving and have a flat tire, I think you will have problems with how the AWD works since one tire is obviously narrower than the rest.

In addition, if you're caught in a real bad blizzard and requires tire chains, you will not be able to mount your chains on the narrower spare tire.

Of course, everything is speculation.
I see no reason why the width of the tire would have any direct effect on the AWD system. Diameter is all that is critical, and donut spares are designed to be the same as "real" tires. As for chains, I very seriously doubt anyone will ever chain up all 4 wheels on their Pilot. The 2 front maybe, but even that would be rare. I have only chained up all 4 wheels one time on a 4wd vehicle, and that was while hunting in the back country/high mountains of Colorado.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The real reason we all want a full size spare...

The best reason for a full size spare is so you don't have to worry about driving on a donut tire if you get a flat while out on the road.

But the real reason we all want a full size spare is so we don't look stupid driving around with the donut while the flat is getting fixed.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: The real reason we all want a full size spare...

tim.s said:
The best reason for a full size spare is so you don't have to worry about driving on a donut tire if you get a flat while out on the road.

But the real reason we all want a full size spare is so we don't look stupid driving around with the donut while the flat is getting fixed.
How true;

And don't forget, you have a extra wheel so the wife does not need to know when you scratch one rock-hopping! :2:
(Don't even ask, why I would think of this)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: The real reason we all want a full size spare...

tim.s said:

Not a major worry, if past experience is any indication. I vaguely remember driving on a donut spare once about 15 years ago.

The last flat I got was on my wife's Sebring. I noticed it while the car was sitting in the garage. I got out my handy-dandy "Plug-N-Go" and plugged it. Pumped it back up and that was that. Just remember to monitor your tire pressure more closely for a while.

As for donut spares - I gotta admit - they look a bit dorkey!!! :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts