Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Just wrested through getting the spare tire down. After prying, cranking both ways, prying some more while cranking both ways,prying and sliding a block of wood in, cranking and prying some more... decided that I needed to drill out the rivets that hold the crank mechanism together. Got the crank mechanism apart while under the Pilot and the cable was clear, not bunched up in the mechanism and came out of the crank mechanism just fine... but the tire still did not drop.

Got under the vehicle with a vice grip and put it on the end of the cable where the cable ends under the spring. Turned the cable counter-clock-wise (looking at it from below) with the vice grips (as to tighten the turns in the cable), and suddenly the tire released and dropped! It appears that the mechanism that holds the spare tire was jammed onto the mechanism fastened to the vehicle that turns the cable at the right angle. Once the cable was twisted, it released the tire.

Now I just gotta put the mechanism together and we'll be back on the road again. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Good job! I worry about this at times! I try to lower the spare once a year to keep it "loose". Also to make sure the full size spare tire is up to par (34 psi) in case I need it. I'm sure there is an easier way to fix this. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
If you go in for rustproofing once a year, that's a good moment to lower the spare (I also have a full size), so in addition to your spare not blocking the full undercarriage from getting the rust proofing spray, your spare hoist mechanism gets some collateral lube as well.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I am almost thinking that replacing the wich with a regular through bolt and butterfly nut might be the right answer. The winch is too delicate in this vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts