Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to release the spare on my 2013 Pilot. Confirmed the steps in the manual and confirmed that I have all parts of the spare tire kit.

However, there is no tool in the kit that will engage the bolt that operates the hoist. The attached photo shows the tool I have.

Can someone please provide a link to a vendor that sells a spare tire tool kit for a 2013 Pilot?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The pentagon socket for the winch is inside the lug nut socket. I am not sure what you are holding.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
The pentagon socket for the winch is inside the lug nut socket.
Exactly, at least on a 2006. Look inside and you'll see it. Position it over the hoist bolt and start spinning. Good to do it once or twice a year (and maybe lubricate it) so the hoist doesn't rust up and refuse to move when you need it.

Also consider switching to a full size spare.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Ummm. The 10mm square-drive insert goes forward through the hole exposed with the rear storage lid open. Rubber plug comes out first, male end of tool goes in and indexes in the winch, add the extensions and the hand crank. Counter-clockwise to lower. When the tire is at the ground, the end of the cable has a spring-loaded piece that needs to be angled out of the hole in the wheel. Wheel slides from under the car, hopefully ready for duty.

More to think about:

The factory jack doesn't extend far enough to actually lift a tire off the ground for removal. I added a foot of 4x6 lumber to the storage bin on the chance that I decide to limp home on the little goon spare. Auto Club membership is a more likely solution.

The spare wheel winch accepts a common 3/8" square drive extension end. I recently added a cheap ride-along tool set to the car, including the extension and a matching 3/8-drive ratchet. Handier in my experience than the collage of tools that Honda supplies. It fits the jack too.

Others have upgraded the jack to a cheap hydraulic bottle jack, something I likely won't do.

The lug wrench in the toolkit is fine so long as the last tire-swapper didn't overtighten the lugnuts. Worth adding a $10 Harbor Freight 1/2" torque wrench to the boot? With a deep lugnut socket? 92 lbs/ft IIRC.

--------

I tried the factory jack and tools just to make sure I could use them in a pinch. The spare drops down a couple times a year for cleaning and a pressure check (60 PSIG). It's never been removed for cause, and I still have the original tires on the car with no damage or punctures so far. I think being prepared with knowledge and a few tools pretty much eliminates any possible need to use either. I still carry the auto club membership, but it hasn't been needed in 40+ years now. AAA is a non-profit, but not because of me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts