Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have two questions for the group.

The spare tire in my 2020 EX-L has the valve stem pointing in the up position so you have to drop (lower) the tire down to check the air pressure. Have anyone tried mounting the spare tire so the valve stem would be accessible without having to lower the spare tire? I know that there might be an issue of knocking the valve stem off if you were off-roading but it would make checking the air pressure much easier. My 2003 Pilot had the valve stem pointing down.

Looks like Honda put Bridgestone on the 4 corners but used Goodyear for the spare tire. I wonder why?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I flipped mine over. Not sure why it's pointing up from the factory.

I don't go off road, so no worries on obstacle hitting the valve.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I removed the donut spare tire from my 2019 Touring AWD. I purchased a factory 20 inch wheel with TPMS sensor included and a matching tire for under $300.00. With the tire mounted and balanced by a shop IIRC I was around $300 total. I have the new spare sitting in the storage shed out back.

I mounted the spare with the valve side down for easy access to check the pressure when needed. I can incorporate this "5th" wheel now in the tire rotation but I don't think I will. We do driving vacations throughout the country. Some of the remote areas would be a concern if I had a flat with a temporary spare. I may add a towing hitch and again don't want a small tire and wheel if I get a flat while towing something.

I also don't want to worry about driving with an unmatched size tire and wheel on any of the drive axles, be it front or rear.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Down was the logical choice after I rebuilt the back end. It's been this way for 9 months with no ill effects.
Well 💩. I just realized I own a Goodyear tire 😬. A spare is all I'll ever own.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
783 Posts
If your feeling a little nervous about the valve stem getting damaged, go with a short metal bolt on stem.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
While I'd atavistically be wary about my valve dangling down where it might smash into rocks or freeze in the snow,,,

...mine has always been positioned for free and easy access.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not sure if it applies to pilots but some cars are crash rated with the spare tire in it's intended place. Changing the position of the tire might effect the damage of a rear end collision. NHTSA or honda corporate would probably be the ones to ask. Let us know

·
Registered
783 Posts
Not sure if it applies to pilots but some cars are crash rated with the spare tire in it's intended place. Changing the position of the tire might effect the damage of a rear end collision. NHTSA or honda corporate would probably be the ones to ask. Let us know
Valve stem up, valve stem down is to Pilots what the toilet paper over or toilet paper under is to bathrooms. Either way it gets the job done.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Valve stem up, valve stem down is to Pilots what the toilet paper over or toilet paper under is to bathrooms. Either way it gets the job done.
Nooo, there's a right way and there's a wrong way.

You can start doing the right way tomorrow morning.
And do it that way for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the information, I have found it helpful, but could someone please tell me how to mount the TP holder in the spare tire area. My Pilot is a little tight with the tow hitch there.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thanks for all of the information, I have found it helpful, but could someone please tell me how to mount the TP holder in the spare tire area. My Pilot is a little tight with the tow hitch there.
If it was me I would stick it on the drivers side of the tailgate. Oh and make sure the paper is turned under.

Other wise this is what will happen.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I would prefer mounting the TP on the passenger side of the tail gate, to much wind on the driver side from the simi's on the interstate.

·
Registered
783 Posts
For convenience, I'd mount that baby right above the hitch.
View attachment 136517

Oha that explains SOOO MANY things we won't bring up here. The center position of the rear bumper is where one places their butt, or if one has a tow hitch this........

Old Chinese Proverb: " Man who poops onto his toilet paper is an idiot. What you expect this to rhyme? You just pooped on your own toilet paper."

In the alternative there is this, however I'm not sure of the wisdom of the placement under normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Oha that explains SOOO MANY things we won't bring up here. The center position of the rear bumper is where one places their butt, or if one has a tow hitch this........

View attachment 136518

Old Chinese Proverb: " Man who poops onto his toilet paper is an idiot. What you expect this to rhyme? You just pooped on your own toilet paper."

In the alternative there is this, however I'm not sure of the wisdom of the placement under normal driving conditions. View attachment 136519
In an emergency, who's got time to unhook the trailer and install the toilet seat hitch. Now the tire toilet seat is genius. Might just opt for the portable stand instead of mounting a TP holder.

·
Registered
783 Posts
In an emergency, who's got time to unhook the trailer and install the toilet seat hitch.
Leave it installed, no one is going to want to get too close behind you And if they do and you end up with someone hitting the rear of the vehicle I want to be there when the insurance company gets the bill for a new toilet seat.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Even better, go to some department store like Penny's or Sears and buy a used store manikin, dress it up and attach it so it is sitting on the toilet seat and drive around town. I will guarantee that you will garner a bit of attention. 😆

·
Registered
571 Posts
Even better, go to some department store like Penny's or Sears and buy a used store manikin, dress it up and attach it so it is sitting on the toilet seat and drive around town. I will guarantee that you will garner a bit of attention. 😆
That will get you the social distancing you rightfully deserve!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts