Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to give myself some room to install the trailer hitch, I removed and then re-installed my spare. A few days later, I noticed a small oil spot on my garage floor. After crawling around underneath, I noticed oil at the very tip of the spare tire cable. So, I lowered the spare and noticed oil on the steel cable itself. No big deal since the cable itself is stored in a housing under the car and is needed for smooth operation. But, it should not be pooling and dripping on my garage floor...Anyone else experience this???

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just yesterday for the first time I noticed a drop of oil on my garage floor from the center-rear of the Pilot. I haven't been under there to see where it's coming from yet but I can confirm that I had another drip this morning. Probably the same leak you have. I"ll probably take it in this week for warranty work (darn! I was hoping to make it to my first oil change).

Anyone else have this oil leak and can shed some light?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The peops over on the MDX site are of the opinion that temperature and leakage are directly related. IOW, when it's hot, the grease seems to liquefy and run down the cable and drip. Hmmm...not so sure on that one...I'll have to keep an eye on it for awhile. In any event, it should not leak…I don’t care how warm it is outside. Yet another example of how Honda should have corrected this issue prior to production-

·
Registered
310 Posts
I checked out the link to the X site. (By the way, I tried to cross link with them but have forgotten my password and user name. Maybe someone would put a link to this thread on the X thread).

I'm not quite sure about the high tempature theory. There have been hotter days here this summer than this weekend and this weekend was the first time mine leaked on the garage floor. Of course, I suppose its possible that it took the melted grease a while to wick down the cable.

Given that the thread on the X site dates back to June of last year, I 'm surprised this issue has not been addressed in a warranty repair by someone.

Finally, :3: this situation is bitter irony for me. The two most annoying aspects about my '92 Explorer were an irritating noise in the drivers' side window that got a little better if you put the window down a bit and a slow oil leak that required me to put cardboard down on my garage floor to catch the drips. Congratulations to me! I spend $33,000+ on a new vehicle and end up with the annoying window SCRUNCH and oil drips on my garage floor! :3: :3: :3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howdy,

Are you gonna have this addressed by your dealer???

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes. I am developing a not so short list of warranty items for my dealer. I will print out the MDX thread and this thread and tell my dealer to find a solution that doesn't drip oil on my garage floor.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd rather have a few drips of oil on the floor than have a tech spray cleaner into the cable to solve the problem. Years down the road you find yourself on the side of the road with a flat and the whole mechanism is frozen solid and needs to be cut to remove the spare tire. I've seen this happen on a Toyota. If you get alot of wet weather or salted roads in winter like we do, beware. I don't know if it's in the manual but the mechanism should be lubed now and then. I agree that, if properly designed, it should not leak.

While on the subject of tire changing, anyone had to use the oem jack? I had a frustrating experience with a jack that did not assemble properly because of manufacturing defects. Again, this was another Toyota, but the jack was oem supplied by a subcontractor to Toyota. If I'd had a file with me on the side of the road instead of a wife and two screaming children late for a doctors appointment, I would have been all set.

That one of the first things I'm checking when we get our Pilot.
(After I install the side steps, of coarse ; )

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just experienced this same event for the first time this weekend. I am taking my baby in for the first time today to get the oil changed and have them look at the issues that I have. I will try to remember to let you all know what they say and do to fix this issue, if anything.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Believe it or not, Honda did claim that the grease was liquifying. They also told me that there was too much grease on the cable and that they reduced the amount of grease. Said that I may still see a drop or two every now and then.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Seems like the answer would be to use a grease that holds up under higher temps.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With the explanation provided above, if the housing itself is filled with too much grease, then the issue should eventually correct itself, right???

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yes, but depending on how much excess there is it could take a while if the amount hitting the pavement is just a few drops at a time and only under certain environmental conditions.

Chris

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xyzzy said:
Yes, but depending on how much excess there is it could take a while if the amount hitting the pavement is just a few drops at a time and only under certain environmental conditions.

Chris
Chris,

Are you gonna take your Pilot in for this???

·
Registered
919 Posts
Haven't had mine leak yet, but I don't doubt that I will eventually because I am one to drop the spare every once in a while to check inflation and make sure that the lowering/raising mechanism is working properly,etc. If I do run into the leak and it truly is just a matter of too much grease, I'll probably take a stab at it myself. If I do, I'll post some pics.

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts