Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry everyone. I don't know why my original post did not materialize. Maybe there is a ghost in the machine.

Anyway, my original question is this: Can the Pilot EX OEM aluminum alloy wheel with the OEM Goodyear P235/70R16 tire replace the spare "donut" underneath the vehicle in the storage wheel well? Also, can you remove the center cap of the OEM rim and tread the "take up" cable through the OEM alloy rim?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes and Yes

Yes on both counts. Based on a shipping mixup that's what I'm using for my spare and it works just fine. Fancy, but fine !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help sillec. By the way, I neglected to explain why I needed this question answered. My Pilot is less than two weeks old and I had a side wall puncture on the rear passenger side. You're not going to believe this but the side wall was penetrated by a 11 mm wrench lying in the middle of the road. I don't know how the heck the wrench managed to do this kind of damage but it did. I just ordered two OEM replacement tires from the TireRack ($61 each) and I figured it would be the perfect time to replace the donut.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes as a matter of fact I just replaced mine this weekend and I also got a tire cover to keep the rim from getting scratced. This also looks better under the car withthe cover as the tire hangs down a little more with the full size spare. I just put the cap in my glove compartment for use if needed.

Pilot EX White
Cargo Tray
Rear mud flaps
Running boards
Full nose mask
Full size spare

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
dukeofjuke said:
...My Pilot is less than two weeks old and I had a side wall puncture on the rear passenger side. You're not going to believe this but the side wall was penetrated by a 11 mm wrench lying in the middle of the road...
Ouch! :eek:
(I guess you were able to keep it under control, since you don't report any more damage.)

Just wondering: What type of wrench was it? Was it broken or bent?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
mlewisr said:
Yes as a matter of fact I just replaced mine this weekend and I also got a tire cover to keep the rim from getting scratced. This also looks better under the car withthe cover as the tire hangs down a little more with the full size spare. I just put the cap in my glove compartment for use if needed.

Pilot EX White
Cargo Tray
Rear mud flaps
Running boards
Full nose mask
Full size spare
What does the tire cover look like and how much does it cost (IYDMMA)?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got it at Advanced Auto Parts and it was a nice heavy duty black vinyl like you would use as a grill cover. I also had the new spare mounted with the white wall on the inside so it would be a black wall showing. The tire cover looks really good under the car!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi tim.s and mlewisr. I was only doing about 40 MPH and the tire still had some air in it by the time I pulled over so I was never in any danger of losing control of the Pilot. I tried to yank the wrench out after the tire was completely flat but I could not get it to come out. The end sticking out was a closed end so I'm assuming that the end embedded in the tire must be an open end. I can't imagine that the closed end of a wrench could possibly penetrate a side wall. It's just too dull. I'll ask the mechanic to keep the wrench for me after I get it back from the tire shop and follow up will a post.

By the way, I like the tire cover idea from mlewisr. It's a great way to keep the spare alloy rim relatively clean and chip-free.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Picture of the guilty WRENCH!!!

Hey post us a pic of the WRENCH!

:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Spare Tire Spec Question

My dealer up here in Alberta told me a 16" steel accord rim would be a good match to use as a spare tire. I know both are 16"x 6 dimensions and hold a goodyear integrity, question is : is there a different offset in an accord wheel which would make it an undesireable choice?

Neil

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Spare Tire Spec Question

Neil Davies said:
My dealer up here in Alberta told me a 16" steel accord rim would be a good match to use as a spare tire. I know both are 16"x 6 dimensions and hold a goodyear integrity, question is : is there a different offset in an accord wheel which would make it an undesireable choice?

Neil
Why not just get the Pilot steel wheel that's standard on the LX?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: Re: Spare Tire Spec Question

jay said:
Why not just get the Pilot steel wheel that's standard on the LX?
Yup, that's exactly what I did. Bought the wheel from a forum member that upgraded the wheels on their LX.

·
Registered
305 Posts
HEY!! I'm missing a couple of wrenches from my toolbox!! Find any more lying out there?? i'm also missing a 10mm and 17mm. Be on the lookout, will ya?

:p

·
Registered
30 Posts
In Canada there is no LX model. I'm not sure of the availability of the LX wheels iup here.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Neil Davies said:
In Canada there is no LX model. I'm not sure of the availability of the LX wheels iup here.
I found the LX wheel here for $75 US, plus shipping. Unfortunately, they don't ship outside the U.S.

I'd recommend emailing Tim at Hondacuraworld, ([email protected]) to see what he could do about getting an LX wheel to you.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
jay said:
I found the LX wheel here for $75 US, plus shipping. Unfortunately, they don't ship outside the U.S.

I'd recommend emailing Tim at Hondacuraworld, ([email protected]) to see what he could do about getting an LX wheel to you.
Or watch the forum for members selling their EX or LX wheels, following a wheel upgrade - that's how I got my LX wheel.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
sfhondapilot said:
Or watch the forum for members selling their EX or LX wheels, following a wheel upgrade - that's how I got my LX wheel.
I shoulda mentioned that too, since that's how I got my EX wheel and tire, from borg, shipped from Canada.:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry to rehash but

anyone know what a '05 EXL wheel goes for these days? I'd like to replace the donut with a full size spare and use it in my tire rotation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts