Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all those of you who live in Southern California, just wanted to hear all your experiences with dealers. My wife and I are currently looking for a Sage Brush Pearl EX-L with Navigation.

Here are our experiences:

<b> Gardena Honda </b>
<u>General comments</u>: MSRP. No Markup. But you may have to wait for a specific color/model. They will be getting in 17 Pilots next month though.
<u>Notes</u>: This is the first dealer we visited. The salesperson was nice, honest, and up front. He said that they only charge MSRP and would sell us a Pilot with no accesories. He was semi-knowledgeable about the Pilot. We put a $500 deposit down for the Pilot we wanted. Unfortunately since they are a low volume dealer, they only receive one Pilot w/ Nav per month. The salesman said we may have to wait a while but we were FIRST on the list for the Sage Brush Pearl color.

We were pleasantly surprised by the experience... until yesterday. I called the salesperson and asked what the status of our order was. He called back several hours later and said that a SBP EX-L w/ Nav was in their allotment for next month. GREAT! (not really). He said we were second on the list. SECOND??? He said, he must have made a mistake when he told us we were FIRST on the list for that color. But he said we had a GOOD CHANCE of getting the vehicle since that person may (MAY) back out. Uh huh... yah.. okay... I guess salespeople will say anything.

<b>Miller Honda</b>
<u>General comments</u>: $3,000 markup. Do not go here!
<u>Notes</u>: I visited this dealer twice. The first time I visited was to see what kind of price they were willing to sell the Pilot at. They said they would have the Pilot I wanted next month, but I would have to pay a $3,000 markup. After some advice from people here in the forums and my wife slapping me upside the head, I came to my senses and realized that $3,000 was a ridiculous price. We could do better.

The only reason I visited the dealer a second time was to see if they had a Sage Brush Pearl colored Pilot on the lot. My wife and I wanted to see the color up close. They did not have the color and the salesman knew NOTHING about the Pilot. He just guessed and threw out general comments about the car. He even called the Nighthawk Black Pearl colored Pilot "dark blue". I politely corrected him, but he said, "NO, it's dark blue." He realized it was black once we stepped up close to it. As we were leaving the sales manager came out. I said we were looking for the Sage Brush Pearl color. He had no clue what that color was, so I clarified with "it's dark metallic green." "Oh, they have two green colors?," he replied. OY! Not even the SALES MANAGER knew what colors the Pilots came in.

<b>Airport Honda</b>
<u>General comments</u>: $5,000 markup. Do not go here!
<u>Notes</u>: Sleazy... SLEAZY.. salesperson. Just came here to see if they had a SBP color Pilot on the lot. Just wanted to see the color up close. Left promptly after we found out they did not have the Pilot. We were able to see that they charge a $5,000 markup. WOW!

<b>Kolbe Honda</b>
<u>General comments</u>: MSRP. No markup. No added accessories.
<u>Notes</u>: I've only had to deal with them on the phone but so far they've been pretty up front and honest. They said they'd have the color/model I want next month. The salesperson has been stringing me along to make sure they get my business. I don't mind as long as they can show me on paper that they will get the car I want. I'm going in tomorrow to work out the details.

This may be the one!

<b>Norm Reeves Honda Cerritos/Huntington Beach</b>
<u>General comments</u>: MSRP. REQUIRED accesories with high markup
<u>Notes</u>: I only called them up. They charged over $1,000 markup (including installation) on (1) side steps, (2) wheel locks, and (3) cargo cover. They were charging $1,700 for this package. I asked both dealerships (Cerritos and Huntington Beach) whether I could get the Pilot without an accesory package and they flat out said, "NO."

I will keep you all updated on my car buying saga. Maybe we can put together a table with Dealers and markups. ???

-pj

·
Registered
919 Posts
A couple of those sound like some pretty rediculous pricing practices. As people continue to use the Internet to research auto purchases, the honest dealers will see more business and these guys will see less.

Your post will undoubtedly help others in your area. Great post!

Chris

·
Registered
900 Posts
PJ27, have you added at least some of this info to the dealer ratings area at the lower right part of the main page?
Maybe with a link to your post above. Good info! (Glad I don't live in So. Cal.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more dealer...

<b>Goudy Honda</b>
<u>General comments</u>: $2,000 markup (got it down to $1,000)
<u>Notes</u>: We visited this dealer after our experience today (My salesman was fired. My Pilot is Gone! ). We finally were able to see the Sage Brush Pearl in person. However, it was filthy from the shipment, everything was covered in plastic, and the flourescent lighting didn't do the color justice. We liked what we saw though. The salesman was your typical B.S. salesman. He pulled the old, "we need to run a credit check"... I pulled the "no you don't" since I already have financing. He was kind of taken aback since my wife and I knew all about his tricks. He tried to say the $395 paint protection was mandatory (hey, but it comes with a "certificate"). In the end we said we'd only pay MSRP. Bottom line. End of story. He said, "we can't do that." I walked away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
UNDER MSRP

I JUST PURCHASED AN EX PILOT LEATHER W/DVD
WITH MUDGUARDS, CARGO TRAY, TRIM ON DOOR SIDES, TRIM
ON WHEEL WELLS, WHEEL LOCKS FOR $31000. (THIS DID
INCLUDE DESTINATION FEE $460

·
Registered
3 Posts
UNDER MSRP

I JUST PURCHASED AN EX PILOT LEATHER W/DVD
WITH MUDGUARDS, CARGO TRAY, TRIM ON DOOR SIDES, TRIM
ON WHEEL WELLS, WHEEL LOCKS FOR $31000. (THIS DID
INCLUDE DESTINATION FEE $460

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pilots in SoCal BELOW MSRP

In this morning's LA Times, you can find three (3) Honda Pilot EX-L DVD's - with some accessories - advertised for $30,988. I called a few minutes ago, and all three VIN's listed are still available.

Good news for those of us now in the market! :4:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pilots in SoCal BELOW MSRP

Jasper & golliegee

Could you post the dealer's name where you can find such deal? I need a new car desparately and looking for under MSRP. I have not done any shopping on the pilot nor test drive. I'm looking for a white Pilot EX-L w/ Entertainment sys.

In the past five years, I'd had terrible experience with Gouldy and Nelson Honda dealers. Norm Reeves is a complete waste of time. Finally, I bought one from Honda of Diamond Bar. They're not that great either.

[email protected]

Please reply soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
kippy,

I read in another thread that golliegee said she bought her Pilot from Tipton Honda, which is in El Cajon.. but it didnt seem like such a peachy experience..

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=29009#post29009

But maybe she can claify that for you if she's "around"..

The best So Cal quote I got was like $500 off of MSRP (from Gardena and Miller Honda in Van Nuys, I think).. this was like 2 weeks ago.. if you check the Honda website, you can check dealer inventory.. find the Pilot you want and then call, email, or go down there.. the dealers I contacted that didn't have the Pilot I was looking for just quoted me MSRP.. one dealer, Anaheim Hills, quoted me MSRP but said he'd throw in wheel locks and mud flaps.. whoopie..

I don't know how they determine who they will quote a better price too.. but Destined4Shasta got like $1,300 off of his EX-L at Jim Doten Honda in Berkeley.. a week later, I emailed the same guy, Rod.. and he only quoted me $500 off of MSRP for an EX-L Nav.. maybe he didn't like my name ? I dunno..

Also, in case you missed it, I ended up getting mine at Gardena Honda for $500 off of MSRP on 12/30..

Good luck

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bought it in Riverside

Aric, thanks for the info.

We went to several Honda dealers in the San Gabriel Valley and all of them were willing to discount $1,000 right off the bat. However, they want to charge more for the accessories I wanted such as the tow package, running board, & fog lights. Their accessories price were even more than the Honda Manufacturer's website has listed. Still they were willing to sell with no accessory with $1,000 off MSRP.

I took Jasper advice on reading the LA Times for the advertised price and got it at $30,988. That's $1492 off MSRP. It's a deal I can't beat anywhere, and we're really happy with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hoo Boy! CONGRATS!

Kippy - So sorry for not replying earlier - been out of town and haven't checked the forum lately... CONGRATS on getting a great deal from Riverside Honda!

You know, all "The Experts" and all "The Books" talk about what SCAMS the ad cars are - they always "just sold it", it's "a misprint", etc. etc. etc.

But I gotta tell ya, I've personally bought or leased FOUR "ad cars" and each and every time it was a flawless, hassle-free experience! Glad to see someone else happy with the "ad car."

Congrats on the great new ride! You got great weather this weekend to take it for spin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
kippy95 -

whoa.. almost $1500 off of MSRP.. thats really impressive.. makes me feel like an a$$ for paying $1000 more :rolleyes:.. congrats of a great purchase.. I also had a similar experience as far as accessories.. strangely, Gardena Honda tried to charge more than the Honda website for accessories and installation.. the sales manager's excuse was that the Honda website is a "national average" and that dealers in Southern California have higher installations charges than other parts of the country. I found that really hard to believe. I told him that even if the service department was charging $60/hour (although it may be slightly more), he was trying to charge me 6 hours of labor to install (more like stick on) a few pieces of wood trim. Eventually he ended up giving me 10% off of the accessories and a fair price for installaton (although it was still slightly higher than the Honda website)..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts