Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm starting to take on some more wrenching jobs from my mechanic and am wondering where the go-to places are for sourcing bonafide OEM parts for Honda Pilots.

For instance, I started comparison shopping one part, say the PCV valve. Prices ranged from $7.58 (eBay) to $53.18 (Card ID). Shipping prices vary from free to over $13 for this small, light part. I called the local dealer and the price is $66 and not in stock.

Honey is a browser extension I have installed that sniffs out best prices and applies discount codes and "she" found the best deal for this part on Amazon. But how do you verify that a part is truly OEM?

Acura OEM parts is supposed to have good prices and they do, but this $28 part carries $13.66 in shipping.

Bernardi wanted $31.68 plus $12.89 shipping

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
I'd be lying if I said I've never bought parts off ebay. I've bought items there that won't leave you stranded. Plastic body parts mostly. Some used parts, inanimate parts, like a power steering reservoir.
If I wanted OEM anything, I'd pick one of the major Honda auto parts dealers that are online. These can be identified by the contact us info. I'm Iooking for ones that also run a Honda Dealership. Get the part number. See who has the best price, then do the research. Otherwise buy at a more expensive price at your local dealership. You dont pay shipping at your local dealership and most of the time, you can have your parts next day. If it's little stuff or large bulky items that are expensive to ship, I'm usually buying there.
Buying online comes with some pain sometimes. I'm 2 weeks into trying to get an OEM CV axle because the first one was sent defective.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
The other option that has worked for me is to see if your local Honda Dealer parts dept. will price match and online Honda parts dealer price. Mine has either matched the price directly or been less than the price of the part & shipping. It would be worth a try. They took almost $100 off the ATF cooler when they matched the Bernardi price at the time.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be lying if I said I've never bought parts off ebay. I've bought items there that won't leave you stranded. Plastic body parts mostly. Some used parts, inanimate parts, like a power steering reservoir.
If I wanted OEM anything, I'd pick one of the major Honda auto parts dealers that are online. These can be identified by the contact us info. I'm Iooking for ones that also run a Honda Dealership. Get the part number. See who has the best price, then do the research. Otherwise buy at a more expensive price at your local dealership. You dont pay shipping at your local dealership and most of the time, you can have your parts next day. If it's little stuff or large bulky items that are expensive to ship, I'm usually buying there.
Buying online comes with some pain sometimes. I'm 2 weeks into trying to get an OEM CV axle because the first one was sent defective.
After looking around, my best price on this part (excluding eBay unknown OEM status) turned out to be Amazon, helped a lot by Prime free shipping. Even without Prime, if you order enough, shipping is free. This surprised me to be frank. I figured maybe HondaPartsCheap or WholesaleHondaParts would have some great prices.

I'm still not sure how to tell if an offering is a genuine OEM part. I guess the best way to tell is when it arrives if it's in OEM packaging, but by then it's too late. Hmmm.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other option that has worked for me is to see if your local Honda Dealer parts dept. will price match and online Honda parts dealer price. Mine has either matched the price directly or been less than the price of the part & shipping. It would be worth a try. They took almost $100 off the ATF cooler when they matched the Bernardi price at the time.
When I just called the local dealer on price and availability for the PCV valve, I was quoted $66 for the same part I bought on Amazon for $28. I asked the dealer if he would price match and he said to come in and show him what I had for other prices. The next best up front dealer price was OEMAcuraParts in Peoria, IL at $28 for the part and $13 shipping for a total of $41. I'm not making any global decisions on one part, but I'm thinking for larger parts, the shipping would make an even bigger difference. I'm not inclined to drive all the way up to the dealer (25 mins each way) just to show him my prices and then get his best price.

Amazon Prime has been amazing lately ... they opened a warehouse in town here so many things I get the same day or before I get up the next morning. But the local dealer is backup for things I need fast although so far they didn't have what I wanted in stock and promised one to two days to get it.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
When I just called the local dealer on price and availability for the PCV valve, I was quoted $66 for the same part I bought on Amazon for $28. I asked the dealer if he would price match and he said to come in and show him what I had for other prices. The next best up front dealer price was OEMAcuraParts in Peoria, IL at $28 for the part and $13 shipping for a total of $41. I'm not making any global decisions on one part, but I'm thinking for larger parts, the shipping would make an even bigger difference. I'm not inclined to drive all the way up to the dealer (25 mins each way) just to show him my prices and then get his best price.

Amazon Prime has been amazing lately ... they opened a warehouse in town here so many things I get the same day or before I get up the next morning. But the local dealer is backup for things I need fast although so far they didn't have what I wanted in stock and promised one to two days to get it.
I'd buy aftermarket from RockAuto.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'd buy aftermarket from RockAuto.
View attachment 145009
I take it they don't sell OEM parts? The orange and purple delineation, good, better, best ... what color is best? Don't recognize any of the brands. Is Standard Motor Products their house brand/rebrand?
Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Magenta

With shipping and TAX?? the aftermarket part came to $24.79. The OEM part on Amazon with Prime was $26. Looks like Amazon is becoming my go-to, for OEM anyway. On pricier items perhaps aftermarket will be enough difference to make up for shipping. I don't understand the tax on RA. Are they a FL company?

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
I take it they don't sell OEM parts? The orange and purple delineation, good, better, best ... what color is best? Don't recognize any of the brands. Is Standard Motor Products their house brand/rebrand?
View attachment 145010
With shipping and TAX?? the aftermarket part came to $24.79. The OEM part on Amazon with Prime was $26. Looks like Amazon is becoming my go-to, for OEM anyway. On pricier items perhaps aftermarket will be enough difference to make up for shipping. I don't understand the tax on RA. Are they a FL company?
View attachment 145012
Who is supposedly selling you an OEM part on Amazon? Is it sold and shipped by Amazon? I might have more trust if it was. This is where the question of counterfeit brand parts come in. Vendors selling through Amazon have been known to sell counterfeits, just like on ebay.
Amazon charges tax too. Look at your basket before you pay.
RockAuto grades parts. It's somewhat reliable. I do avoid buying the "Economy" parts most of the time.

Reactions: SgtVic

·
Read Only
293 Posts
You’re asking for counterfeit parts if you buy on amazon or eBay. Search this forum. That’s all I’ll say. We just had a guy who got a counterfeit oem Honda timing belt kit on amazon and his engine is now trashed. You’re going off of lowest price from honey which opens you to counterfeits. Bad idea. If working on Honda's, you'll need to learn what's good aftermarket, and whats not good aftermarket - AISIN is good, standard motor products I've used before, NAPA seems to be decent most of the time, etc.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
[Moved this comment here from the other thread.]
Some things you can buy that are OEM without buying through the dealership. NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs, Hitachi ignition coils. Some months back, I bought an EGR valve from RockAuto for my 2012 V6 Crosstour. I purchased Standard Motor Products. The replacement part in the box was labeled/manufactured by Continental. I was pleasantly surprised to find the old one still on the car had the same name. So I am a little partial to buying their aftermarket products now.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Who is supposedly selling you an OEM part on Amazon? Is it sold and shipped by Amazon? I might have more trust if it was. This is where the question of counterfeit brand parts come in. Vendors selling through Amazon have been known to sell counterfeits, just like on ebay.
Amazon charges tax too. Look at your basket before you pay.
RockAuto grades parts. It's somewhat reliable. I do avoid buying the "Economy" parts most of the time.
I looks like the EGR valve is sold and shipped by Auto Parts Experts. "Brand: Honda" and "Genuine Honda Parts" are all over the page. Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 18011-R70-A00 EGR Valve Set: Automotive
I dunno ... how do you tell for sure? I read the consumer reviews on the part and the vendor ... it all looked on the up and up.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
I looks like the EGR valve is sold and shipped by Auto Parts Experts. "Brand: Honda" and "Genuine Honda Parts" are all over the page. Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 18011-R70-A00 EGR Valve Set: Automotive
I dunno ... how do you tell for sure? I read the consumer reviews on the part and the vendor ... it all looked on the up and up.
Any online seller (business) other than a Honda dealership here in the US, had to get the part from somewhere. It's likely a bootlegged import from a distribution center in Asia, Europe or the worst.... Counterfeit.
Can you prove it's not counterfeit, other than taking their word for it?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[Moved this comment here from the other thread.]
Some things you can buy that are OEM without buying through the dealership. NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs, Hitachi ignition coils. Some months back, I bought an EGR valve from RockAuto for my 2012 V6 Crosstour. I purchased Standard Motor Products. The replacement part in the box was labeled/manufactured by Continental. I was pleasantly surprised to find the old one still on the car had the same name. So I am a little partial to buying their aftermarket products now.
View attachment 145014
The two EGR valves on RA are a WVE brand for $77.99 ($91.57 OTD) and SMP for $97.27 ($107.33 OTD). No mention or any PNs for Continental. The Amazon price is $140.50 no shipping no tax ($140.50 OTD) even so it's considerably more than the aftermarket, whether they are OEM sourced or not idk.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
You’re asking for counterfeit parts if you buy on amazon or eBay. Search this forum. That’s all I’ll say. We just had a guy who got a counterfeit oem Honda timing belt kit on amazon and his engine is now trashed. You’re going off of lowest price from honey which opens you to counterfeits. Bad idea. If working on Honda's, you'll need to learn what's good aftermarket, and whats not good aftermarket - AISIN is good, standard motor products I've used before, NAPA seems to be decent most of the time, etc.
I don't see how Amazon can put Aisin part numbers and claim this is an Aisin kit without getting sued, and they have the deepest pockets known to mankind.

Amazon.com: AISIN TKH-001 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive

They even have a link to their own Aisin store Amazon.com: AISIN: Home page

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
The two EGR valves on RA are a WVE brand for $77.99 ($91.57 OTD) and SMP for $97.27 ($107.33 OTD). No mention or any PNs for Continental.
The SMP I ordered from RA had a Continental branded EGR valve in the box.
The Amazon price is $140.50 no shipping no tax ($140.50 OTD) even so it's considerably more than the aftermarket, whether they are OEM sourced or not idk.
View attachment 145016
Texas wants their sales tax, so Amazon charges me tax. No state income tax here in Texas.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
I don't see how Amazon can put Aisin part numbers and claim this is an Aisin kit without getting sued, and they have the deepest pockets known to mankind.

Amazon.com: AISIN TKH-001 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump: Automotive
View attachment 145017
Again, how to you prove authenticity?
I feel better if it's sold and shipped by Amazon. It's still not 100% fail proof.
Some sellers of timing belt water pump kits are assembling the kits themselves. They may put in Aisin water pump in their kit, to be able to use the Aisin name, then toss in cheap made parts for the rest. They usually will not use the TKH- 002 (or 001) item number in this case. Others use the Aisin item number without using the Aisin name.
I have bought the Aisin kit from the Amazon Aisin Store. Shipped and sold by Amazon.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel better if it's sold and shipped by Amazon. It's still not 100% fail proof.
Some sellers of timing belt water pump kits are assembling the kits themselves. They may put in Aisin water pump in their kit, to be able to use the Aisin name, then toss in cheap made parts for the rest. They usually will not use the TKH- 002 (or 001) item number in this case. Others use the Aisin item number without using the Aisin name.
I have bought the Aisin kit from the Amazon Aisin Store. Shipped and sold by Amazon.
I was reading through the customer reviews for the Amazon kit and most were positive but there was a scattering of complaints about open box, non-OEM parts, wrong parts. I have to believe Amazon is buying what it believes are OEM kits/parts ... BUT, their return policy is so liberal, I wouldn't put it past some people to order the real thing and return cheap junk they bought elsewhere for a full OEM price refund. I don't know if Amazon spends much manpower verifying if stuff coming back matches what went out. One customer said the water pump had "Aisin" written on it in what looked like whiteout ink.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
I bought an Aisin kit sold by amazon before, it was OK, but I knew what I was looking for. I also bought counterfeit NGK spark plugs that looked 100% legit in all respects (look it up on youtube, it's a huge problem) and pretty sure that's what blew my headgasket in my pilot because they misfired randomly for over a year. Amazon didn't care because it was outside of their 30 day return window, Amazon doesn't get my car part business anymore.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agree. That's the $64k question. You can't really know. With the volume Amazon does and the speed with which it delivers, even though a lot of it is automated, it's still largely run by overworked, tired, underpaid, warehouse workers.

My wife asks me to return so much to Amazon these days, I'm on a first name basis with the girls at the Kohl's Amazon free wrap and return counter. Quite a marketing gimmick to get you into their store. You don't even need the original packaging. Just bring the stuff to them, they wrap it, pack it, give you a receipt on the spot plus a $25 store discount for their merchandise, and send your return back to Amazon. No charge for any of it.

We used to have UPS come to the house and pick up returns, but we had to save the original boxes and wrap everything. I got tired of keeping and stacking empty boxes for the 30 day return period.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
The hardest part is remembering to throw out all those boxes and all that packaging once your 30-day window closes. I'm not a hoarder, I just look like one to the untrained eye.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts