Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm wondering if anyone has heard this noise before. i rolled down the rear windows (not all the way) and when i start going abt >30mph, i can hear a repetitive ba-ba-ba-ba-ba sound and that's from the stereo (radio), like the reception has been disrupted for a few milliseconds repeatedly. when i roll up the window or drive slower, the noise goes away. hmmm... interesting but annoying...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
sopapia said:
i'm wondering if anyone has heard this noise before. i rolled down the rear windows (not all the way) and when i start going abt >30mph, i can hear a repetitive ba-ba-ba-ba-ba sound and that's from the stereo (radio), like the reception has been disrupted for a few milliseconds repeatedly. when i roll up the window or drive slower, the noise goes away. hmmm... interesting but annoying...
I also noticed the loud buffeting with the rear windows down. Buffeting is common in many vehicles with the rear windows down only. Most of the complaints with NHTSA are about buffeting or weak headlights.

Here is a thread that also noticed it.

http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?va=honda+pilot+buffeting&ei=UTF-8&n=100&fl=0&url=iSJ4Yle-AnsJ:www.carreview.com/SUV/Honda,Pilot/PRD_135028_1524crx.aspx

As well as documented noise @ NHTSA

Make : HONDA Model : PILOT Year : 2003
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 8018697 Date of Failure: September 3, 2002
Component: STRUCTURE
Summary:
CONSUMER WAS DRIVING AT HIGHWAY SPEED WITH ALL WINDOWS CLOSED. THEN PASSENGER OPENED REAR WINDOW, AND VEHICLE FELT LIKE IT WAS FALLING APART. THERE WAS A TERRIBLE NOISE. CONSUMER HAD TO OPEN TWO WINDOWS TO STOP LOUD NOISE. *AKTHERE IS ALSO A LOUD BOOM NOISE HEARD WHEN THREE OF THE WINDOWS ARE OPENED AT CERTAIN LEVELS. *JG

ODI ID Number : 8019709 Date of Failure: August 18, 2002
Component: VISIBILITY:pOWER WINDOW DEVICES AND CONTROLS
Summary:
WHILE DRIVING AT HIGHWAY SPEED OF 65 MPH A WINDOW WAS OPENED TO ALLOW AIR INTO THE VEHICLE. THE FORCE OF THE AIR ENTERING THE VEHICLE CAUSED INJURES TO ALL THE OCCUPANTS EARS. DEALER AND THE MANUFACTURER HAS BEEN NOTIFIED. FEEL FREE TO PROVIDE ANY FURTHER INFORMATION. *MR

ODI ID Number : 10000240 Date of Failure: November 28, 2002
Component: VISIBILITY:GLASS, SIDE/REAR
Summary:
WHILE DRIVING MY 2003 HONDA PIOLT AT 38 MPH OR FASTER WITH ONE OF THE REAR WINDOWS DOWN, I VERY BAD TURBLANCE OCCURES IN THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT, FEELS LIKE PRESSURE IN THE COMPARTMENT HURTING OUR EARS AND HEARING. QUESTION IS WHAT DAMAGE WILL THIS DO TO A PERSON WITH HEARING PROBLEMS (TUBES IN EAR) ALSO MAJIOR CONCERN WITH NEW BORNS (NOT FULLY DEVELOPED HEARING). I MADE CONTACT WITH HONDA CUSTOMER SERVICE SEVERAL TIME IN REFF TO THIS PROBLEM, AND WAS ADVISED THERE IS NO CORRECTIVE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM. I WAS ALSO ADVISED BY HONDA CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT THEY COULD NOT HELP ME AND TO CONTACT A ATTORNEY WHICH I REALY CANNOT AFORD. THE VEHICLE IS ONLY ONE MONTH OLD. PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH ADVICE TO HANDLE THIS PROBLEM. I TRULY BELEAVE THIS IS A SAFETY PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED. ALSO PLEAS LET ME KNOW IF OTHER OWNERS OF THE HONDA PIOLT ARE HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM. THANK YOU.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My 4 door crew cab pickup does it. My Durango does it......
It's not from the stereo.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
This has been discussed extensively in a couple of threads, including here.

Mods: how about a merge?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
jay said:
This has been discussed extensively in a couple of threads, including here.

Mods: how about a merge?
Now this thread should be mearged!:2: :2:

Also merge in the CR-V one, the Volvo, one, the MDX one, the Fortester one, the Intrepid one, etc, etc, etc!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
N_Jay said:
Now this thread should be mearged!:2: :2:

Also merge in the CR-V one, the Volvo, one, the MDX one, the Fortester one, the Intrepid one, etc, etc, etc!
Don't forget the RAV-4 forum and the Highlander forum.:p Oh, I see it now, that's the etc. etc. etc.;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm... it looks like many people are having problems. i haven't noticed the pressure thing and the ear drums popping, just the radio going in and out. i have never noticed this in other vehicles i've driven (mostly sedans & subcompacts). my accord does not do this, not even the sunroof.

another interesting observation. are the rear windows child proof on the pilot? i can lower the windows all the way down unlike my other vehicle.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
...snip

another interesting observation. are the rear windows child proof on the pilot? i can lower the windows all the way down unlike my other vehicle. [/B]
There's a rocker switch on the driver's handle that locks out the lowering of all passenger windows by everyone. It's labeled Main Switch in this drawing (kudos to kemosabe and bkwon for getting the Owner's Manual online):

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
sopapia said:

another interesting observation. are the rear windows child proof on the pilot? i can lower the windows all the way down unlike my other vehicle.
The rear windows go all the way down.

The Child Safety windows (only go 1/2 way down) was an EXCUSE to sell a design issue as a feature!

The went 1/2 way down because something in the door interfeared with the space for them in the door. Generally it is the curve for the rear wheel well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
sopapia said:
All you have to do is to roll the front window down a little bit - like 2" or so and the sound goes away. Many other cars have similar issues.

Glen

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've never been in an SUV that didn't make this sound - it's because of the areodynamics of the vehicle and the shape of the interior. Minivans would do it too, but only front windows roll down.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
When I took my trip to Michigan, I had my girlfriend and her sister singing a song from the 80's that was pretty bad (can't remember what song). I asked them to stop as I was actually laughing so hard that I was hearing that song again. They just kept singing it and laughing. Well since I had read the other thread just prior to leaving, I rolled the passenger rear window down. Needless to say they both stopped singing and put their hands over their ears. Now I only put it down for a second, but their faces were priceless. :eek:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
FLPilot said:
...Well since I had read the other thread just prior to leaving, I rolled the passenger rear window down. Needless to say they both stopped singing and put their hands over their ears. Now I only put it down for a second, but their faces were priceless. :eek:
See, now it's a feature, not a design flaw.:2:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
tim.s said:
See, now it's a feature, not a design flaw.:2:
Yeah, if it wasn't so loud I would say it was great for kids when they cry, yell, and nag, but as it may hurt their ears not such a good feature with the little ones.

On the other hand, it did work really well for me with adults acting like kids. :19:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
sopapia said:
You need to check your right side view mirror to see where the "ba-ba-ba-ba-ba" sound is coming from... :D :D :D

Attachments

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: sound when rear windows are down

kemosabe said:
You need to check your right side view mirror to see where the "ba-ba-ba-ba-ba" sound is coming from... :D :D :D
:19:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts