Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pleased to discover this site and have been impressed with the information being provided. I have been a long time Honda supporter and the Pilot is the sixth new Honda produced vehicle I have either purchased or directly influenced in the past five years. No problems, even remotely serious we experienced on any of these vehicles. The Pilot is a different story. Mine was purchased June 6th, has 5700 miles and is #3478 if the last four digits are the indicator. I purchased on Thursday, and left on Friday on a trip to South Florida. I immediately called the dealer and complained about excessive road noise. Both front wheel bearings, right axil and support bearing, and complete transmission have been replaced. Honda tech is involved. Michelin Cross Terrain tires eliminated most tire noise, but made a "rough bearing" sound more noticeable. The dealer has no more ideas, but can hear the sound. No previous vehicle had door gasket scrunch, leather sag, the downshift virus, and suspension rattle the Pilot communicates so well. I expect better as I paid full list without complaint. I love the concept and design, but the execution level is unacceptable. I am working on a resolution. Will let you know. Advice??

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Bill Price said:
the sixth new Honda produced vehicle I have either purchased or directly influenced in the past five years.
directly influenced in the past five years

Do you work for Honda ?

Well from my experience with the PILOT ... The dealer did physical damage to my PILOT during accessory installs and after two attemps they couldn't competently fix the problems without damaging the vehicle again. So I prepared a defense, made several calls to the dealership prior to calling the Honda Action Line, and finally got a hold of the general manager. He was very cordial which helped me maintain my composure, also a PILOT owner, and after letting me go through my speech ... He just said one sentence ... "What do you want and we'll make it happen ... " ... I asked for a new PILOT and he gave it to me ...

In the production of several thousands of vehicles and increasing, the probability increases regardless of quality measures taken, that a vehicle with problems will be put into the market. It's a hard pill to swallow, but like when reaching into the hat to draw numbers, you never know if your number will be the one. If you can live with the problems of your vehicle then that is your decision to make, but luckily there is recourse that you can take ...

Research your state lemon laws and see if your vehicle qualifies.

Contact the dealerships general manager and tell him straight up what you want them to do for you. Often people will call to complain, but the defendants have no idea what will make you happy. It's easier if you tell them what will make you happy, and then let them figure out if they can do it ...

Lastly, call Honda's action line and file a complaint and have a case manager assigned to you to help you resolve your issue ...

Or ... you can just drive it off the side of a cliff, collect the insurance and buy a replacement ...

Either way don't feel hopeless ... build a defense ... and make the system work for you ... As the consumer you have recourse which may be full of red tape ... but jump head first and take control.

PrG

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hmmmm...

Sounds to me like we have our first lemon. I think you should ask for a replacement since they have tried everything to fix it, but still no resolution. From the other threads, I can gather that many of these problems you are having are rare. Therefore, I wouldn't disapprove of the Pilot since you seem to have a dud. Anyways, good luck getting your Pilot back on track!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: Hmmmm...

Brett727272 said:
Sounds to me like we have our first lemon. I think you should ask for a replacement since they have tried everything to fix it, but still no resolution.
I agree with Brett and esp. since PRG got a replacement after the dealer damaged her Pilot, you have a case.

The ratio of having a lemon from Honda out weighs the ratio of the Big 3!!! Plus they don't listen like Honda does.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Re: Re: Hmmmm...

nascar_pilot said:

I agree with Brett and esp. since PRG got a replacement after the dealer damaged her Pilot, you have a case.

The ratio of having a lemon from Honda out weighs the ratio of the Big 3!!! Plus they don't listen like Honda does.

Good Luck!!!
At what point did I give the impresseion that I was a SHE !

THIS SHE IS A HE !

I even enjoy watching NASCAR .... !

:3:

PrG

·
Registered
171 Posts
I know ur guy. Hope thats some relief LOL

:cool:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Snicker

PrG, hope you're cute!

Bill, you mention about the downshift virus, can you explain that? The closest thing I can figure is when I am around 40mph or 60mph and just lightly touching the gas you can confuse the transmission a little since it has shifted into 5th but as you add a little gas it really needs to kick back to third. I have a road I need to travel on each morning with a slow downgrade that levels then goes into a slight upgrade and makes this happen. I don't think it is a problem as much as that is just the situation the vehicle is in.

However with the other things you are experiencing I do think I would begin talking to the dealer about replacing the vehicle rather than continuing to mess with it. It sounds like you have been more than patient with your dealer to this point and it also sounds as if they are willing to work with you based on the work they've already done. Sometimes they just have to throw in the towel.

Brett, I was thinking Havasu was more blue/green than blue grey.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Re: Snicker

banningjr said:
PrG, hope you're cute!
My mother says I am ... !

:10:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
OK I lied .. I really don't like watching NASCAR ...

PrG

·
Registered
171 Posts
PrG said:
OK I lied .. I really don't like watching NASCAR ...

PrG
I don't blame you. I don't really enjoy watching cars go around a track for hours at a time either. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Hmmmm...

PrG said:

At what point did I give the impresseion that I was a SHE !

THIS SHE IS A HE !

I even enjoy watching NASCAR .... !

:3:

PrG
I apologize...I apologize...I apologize!!! :6:

And how about a drink?? :7:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks banningjr PrG and others - update

Honda customer service just called and set Aug 27 as date to fly a engineer in to look into my concerns. I am not happy with the delay and especially with my dealer. I believe the objective is that with time (as much as possible), all things heal. I am trying to be nice so I will move to a description of "downshift virus." The vehicle is traveling on level interstate. Ahead is a slight, gradual incline leading to a bridge over a secondary road. Approximately one fourth of the way onto the incline, the torque converter realeases from lockup. RPM's jump to appx 2200. At the seventy-five percent point on the incline, a downshift occurs further raising RPM's to appx 3000. By the time the top is reached, overacceleration has occurred and we are back in fifth w/ lockup.
This happens continiously. My 2002 Chevy Trailblaizer would make a complete trip without a single downshift and with 3.08 gears. I suspect that the throttle position sensor, located on the throttle body, is slighthly off sending an early signal to the computer. It is not stated to be adjustable. At some point, I may find it to be. BP

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
BP ... I'm sure HONDA will take care of you ... It appears that by sending a tech to look at the vehicle, they are hoping not so much to fix the vehicle so they can give it back to you but also to learn for themselves what the issues are. Then they can apply this knowledge into the R&D for tweaking further production of the PILOT, if this a potential problem for all PILOT owners. I figure that is how some recalls get initiated. So although your temporary hardship is possibly unbearable to know, just feel better that you are one of our pioneers in perfecting the PILOTs on the streets and all future PILOTs to come.

BP .. here's to you ... have a drink with NASCAR and I ...

:7:

PrG

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ready for that drink!!

Thanks for the offer from you and NASCAR. Not much of a drinking person, but this may get me started. I need to learn how to do all of those fancy things you guys (?) (saw the comments) do with the graphics and such. Seriously, thanks for the encouragement and logic you add. Now if I just get to spend some time with the engineer. PS: Think body flex is causing the squench? BP

·
Registered
373 Posts
Bill Price, I agree with PrG.
Build your case prior to meeting with the Honda rep.
I've had two vehicles go back to car companies so far.
A GMC van and a Taurus SHO.
The key is building your case using details.
Document everything while it's fresh in your mind.
Include dates, statements, attendees, places, who initiated contact, etc.
I try to personalize vehicle issues and how they've let you down.
Unless they can relate to your situation, it's just another unit (yours not theirs).
Give them a deadline for results, my GMC went on with serious issues for a long time.

So far my Pilot's been fine with the exception of the little things everyone's noticed.

Good Luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts