Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having issues getting my 05 Pilot started recently. The battery and alternator are good and after tapping the starter a couple of times I was able to start it. I followed a youtube video and replaced it with a brand new duralast starter from Autozone. No problems for a couple of weeks and then I had the same problem. Sometimes it wouldn't start but I had good results tapping the starter. I read some bad reviews online for the starter I bought so I returned it for a refund and tried another new starter from O'reilly's. Started up just fine after installing it yesterday and today I had the same problem.

I was able to start her up after a few tries but this time I did not do the tap on the starter trick. I'm thinking this is not a starter issue at all. Any ideas? Battery is strong and when she does turn over everything sounds like it should. Otherwise it is just a hum and click.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I'd inspect the ground strap between the engine and chassis. Clean contact points. Wal-Mart has a great cable for cheap if needed.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
What he said. ^^^ Check all your cables and connections for looseness, fraying and corrosion.

Hey kids, don't let this happen to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Mine don't appear to be that bad but they are pretty stiff and looked frayed in a couple of spots. Thanks for the recommendation. I need this vehicle to get me throught 4 kids in school. Oldest is a freshman. I just need to seat 6 for a few more years!

What he said. ^^^ Check all your cables and connections for looseness, fraying and corrosion.

Hey kids, don't let this happen to

Hey kids, don't let this happen to you.

View attachment 145506

View attachment 145507

View attachment 145508

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Wow! Mine don't appear to be that bad but they are pretty stiff and looked frayed in a couple of spots. Thanks for the recommendation. I need this vehicle to get me throught 4 kids in school. Oldest is a freshman. I just need to seat 6 for a few more years!
Since you’re just looking .......check out this trio of cables your choice of 4 or 6 gauge
Product Gadget Audio equipment Liquid Automotive tire

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
There is another from the transmission to the chassis you might check too. It can affect how well your transmission perform.

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Don’t buy cheap Walmart aftermarket cables because they will never fit right. You can buy used oem cables at a place like car-part.com or used oem on eBay and they will be way better quality and be less of a headache. Pull the part number from the online Honda parts site and start searching used. Or buy new oem of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don’t buy cheap Walmart aftermarket cables because they will never fit right. You can buy used oem cables at a place like car-part.com or used oem on eBay and they will be way better quality and be less of a headache. Pull the part number from the online Honda parts site and start searching used. Or buy new oem of course.
Thanks! I found these and will be ordering them: Search Results | Genuine Honda Parts

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Lots of folks running around with Wal-Mart $5 ground cables. It's thicker and maybe longer than needed, but it's made well. The eyelets may be larger but it's nothing a washer won't fix. I am one to improvise.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Check them out before dismissing them. Limited things I would recommend from Walmart besides VML. Cheap enough for a simple 4 to 6 gauge ground cable to replace or add another. No way I would consider a used cable unless I was stuck on the road. Excess length is simply zip tied.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
I bought a used oem ground cable online that was the perfect length and tied into every part perfect for $15 shipped. I removed the ill fitting Walmart version. The pilot ground cable is split to go 3 ways. No Walmart cable is going to do this. Do things right the first time and forget about it.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I bought a used oem ground cable online that was the perfect length and tied into every part perfect for $15 shipped. I removed the ill fitting Walmart version. The pilot ground cable is split to go 3 ways. No Walmart cable is going to do this. Do things right the first time and forget about it.
We are talking about the cable between the engine and chassis. I believe it just needs 2 conections?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Is that yours? Weren't you the person that caused the dielectric grease shortage last year slathering up your battery terminal under the modesty cover?
I don't believe those photo are of his personal vehicle. @plplplpl owns stock in a dielectric grease company.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
Is that yours? Weren't you the person that caused the dielectric grease shortage last year slathering up your battery terminal under the modesty cover?
I don't believe those photo are of his personal vehicle. @plplplpl owns stock in a dielectric grease company.
Not mine. Those are cautionary tale pictures gleaned from the intertubes.

My excessively precautionary prophylaxis would preclude such unwanted outcomes.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Are you referring to this corrosion be-dammed connection? Ain’t no corrosion going to happen between my connections.
Gesture Artifact Natural material Rectangle Font

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts