Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, some of you know already but I'm going to share something I am not proud of. I have a new to me 2011 Pilot EX I bought back in June with 130K KM's on it. It was fully serviced but didn't have the timing belt done so before I did 5k I did it, water pump tensior etc. good thing too as my tensioner was leaking and getting weak. That's not the dumb thing, fast forward to about 12K added miles and the MM light comes on, needs oil done, Ok did a Mobile 1 change. reset. not the dumb thing yet. Fast forward to MM 2 coming on at 155K and there is a 13? So I got out the manual to discover that means Tire rotation (going to anyway) and trans and diff fluids along with the oil. Cool, its not just oil it tells you other stuff, so I gran the mobile 1 and then hit here for what is out there for the other fluids, getting closer to the dumb part. I decided on Valvoline Maxlife for transmission, then I am re-reading the manual page for the diff, scrolled a little further and here is dummy part I read Honda recommends VTM-4 for the diff, then keep reading without noticing the title change to Transfer Case section and I see GL5 gear oil and say oh, I can use that too, great I'll swap the diff out to the full synthetic stuff I use in my other vehicles and it will be great. That was the dumb part. SO now the Pilot is in the garage draining the very expensive almost gallon of synthetic 75W90 GL5 and I spent $90 on 2 jugs of VTM-4. going to refill with the VTM-4 drive for a week or 2 then do it all again and hope I didn't F up the rear diff. There is less than 1000 KM since I did the fluids and I've had 0 noises, lights, or funny things, the oil that came out was clean as hell and the drain bolt had no little bits of anything on the magnet so fingers crossed I've not done anything to the clutches or pumping lines etc. inside. IDK what the viscosity of the VTM-4 is but if lighter than the gear oil I hope the 2 changes in quick succession get it all out.

thanks to the members who pointed out my error without making me feel like the idiot I was LOL.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
The accidental use of GL5 could be informational for other Pilot owners as it should be retrievable from the forum archives. Post up your fluid exchange results + or -. My bet is it should be ok.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do. I thought I was using a better fluid too spending $85 on the gallon of full synthetic. I know the VTM-4 is a semi-synthetic and like going to maxlife I wanted improvement. Mobile 1 has proved itself to me. I've been using it in my Yaris which i bought with 230K KM on it, I out the Guaranteed 1 year or 20K Mile(32K KM) stuff in with their filter and i only change it every January as it gets between 28-30K KM a year, The oil still looks new, I have to top up a little over the year but it's less than a L and the car now has 368K km on it. I have been following the MM for now on the pilot but I might start resetting the MM once without changing the oil out as it trips every 12k almost on the dot and I know the mobile one can last double that without hurting the engine. Hell we use a Shell full synthetic Diesel oil in our trucks at work and they go 80K Miles between cahnges with just small top ups. That is with Shell testing the oil at 20K mile intervals and telling us it's still good. That's Miles not KM's so oil will last a lot longer than the myth of 6K or your engine will implode.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I honestly think you will be ok. That gear basicly just sets in the lubrication. It's not like an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it has wet clutches not planetary gears so I want the right fluid. The gear oil was much thicker than the vtm4 so I agree Ill prob be ok, the thicker stuff would not have pumped around in the diff the same.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and this time I bought a new gallon jug pump for VTM4 and zip tied the hose to it so refill was 0 drama and spill free. Last time the pump hose came off and the gear oil went everywhere. All done the swap, Ill put some miles on and do it again fo be sure everything is kosher.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Used this gear/fluid pump from HF that fits the VTM-4 jug and has a barb on the hose to keep it where you need it.

PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE
Gear Oil And Fluid Pump

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep used the Canadian tire version of that and the first rime it came off at the jug pump head after a few pumps. So the new one I zip tiied the hose to the head and it stayed put.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,237 Posts
Guessing (and hoping) you'll be OK. Kudos on taking the proactive steps of doing two drains and fills as soon as you realized. Keep us posted, and good luck. (y)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Gotta learn from mistakes and this one cost me most if not all the savings from diy fluid change. The omly good rhing is I have just enough of the expensive full syn gear oil for when transfer case needs done

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
The omly good rhing is I have just enough of the expensive full syn gear oil for when transfer case needs done
May as well do it at the same time while you're under there, especially if you have no record of it ever being done. A lot of folks, even some dealerships, forget all about it.

Just use good enough lighting while you're under there to be able to distinguish the front of the vehicle from the rear. :) Sorry, couldn't help myself. :whistle:

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
I have a new to me 2011 Pilot EX I bought back in June with 130K KM's on it.
Fast forward to MM 2 coming on at 155K and there is a 13? So I got out the manual to discover that means Tire rotation (going to anyway) and trans and diff fluids along with the oil. I decided on Valvoline Maxlife for transmission, then I am re-reading the manual page for the diff, scrolled a little further and here is dummy part I read Honda recommends VTM-4 for the diff, then keep reading without noticing the title change to Transfer Case section and I see GL5 gear oil and say oh, I can use that too, great I'll swap the diff out to the full synthetic stuff I use in my other vehicles and it will be great. IDK what the viscosity of the VTM-4 is but if lighter than the gear oil I hope the 2 changes in quick succession get it all out.
One thing to note is that one cycle of draining and refilling the rear diff (VTM-4) fluid will replace about 93% of it, versus only about 40% for the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
Anyway, I'd bust my bandwidth allocation if I uploaded all the maintenance goofs I've made over the years. Live and learn. :)

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,035 Posts
You aren’t the first person or garage whose done this and survived. Don’t tell the wife just drive.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Thanks. Gotta learn from mistakes and this one cost me most if not all the savings from diy fluid change. The omly good rhing is I have just enough of the expensive full syn gear oil for when transfer case needs done
If I remember correctly (this gets harder with the more vehicles I work on) I could replace the transfer case fluid without jacking up the vehicle. I'm pretty tall but also pretty fat so my reach is negated by my girth when it comes to reaching under a vehicle.

I also remember the Pilot and the Traverse t-cases were both pretty dark, where my mom's wrangler t-case at the same mileage looked brand spanking new. So I'd look to replace that fluid, especially if you live in Canada, eh as the transfer case seems to do some work on these.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL thanks guys. I was going to do the T-case soon, I'm just glad I have enough of the pricey fluid left I don't have to buy more, however I'd only need a quart not a gallon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't panic mon ami. S...t happent. You are not the first … or the last. just say that you wash clean the gear box. Nothing bad will happent.
For the time that you used that oil… its OK. Any way the transfer case is used only in special situations… not all the time.
So, think positively and take a beer even its still winter time.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I've got about 1000K on the new fluid and nothing bad has happened. I will put another couple on and swap it out again and call it done until the next service interval. I do think I'll drain and fill the T-Case this weekend since I have the fluid and have no Idea if the PO or dealer has ever done it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So, some of you know already but I'm going to share something I am not proud of. I have a new to me 2011 Pilot EX I bought back in June with 130K KM's on it. It was fully serviced but didn't have the timing belt done so before I did 5k I did it, water pump tensior etc. good thing too as my tensioner was leaking and getting weak. That's not the dumb thing, fast forward to about 12K added miles and the MM light comes on, needs oil done, Ok did a Mobile 1 change. reset. not the dumb thing yet. Fast forward to MM 2 coming on at 155K and there is a 13? So I got out the manual to discover that means Tire rotation (going to anyway) and trans and diff fluids along with the oil. Cool, its not just oil it tells you other stuff, so I gran the mobile 1 and then hit here for what is out there for the other fluids, getting closer to the dumb part. I decided on Valvoline Maxlife for transmission, then I am re-reading the manual page for the diff, scrolled a little further and here is dummy part I read Honda recommends VTM-4 for the diff, then keep reading without noticing the title change to Transfer Case section and I see GL5 gear oil and say oh, I can use that too, great I'll swap the diff out to the full synthetic stuff I use in my other vehicles and it will be great. That was the dumb part. SO now the Pilot is in the garage draining the very expensive almost gallon of synthetic 75W90 GL5 and I spent $90 on 2 jugs of VTM-4. going to refill with the VTM-4 drive for a week or 2 then do it all again and hope I didn't F up the rear diff. There is less than 1000 KM since I did the fluids and I've had 0 noises, lights, or funny things, the oil that came out was clean as hell and the drain bolt had no little bits of anything on the magnet so fingers crossed I've not done anything to the clutches or pumping lines etc. inside. IDK what the viscosity of the VTM-4 is but if lighter than the gear oil I hope the 2 changes in quick succession get it all out.

thanks to the members who pointed out my error without making me feel like the idiot I was LOL.
I bought a 2010 Pilot and searched the service log to see what the Leasing company and last dealer had done. I noted that everyone checked the level but not changed the Rear End oil. The manual says to buy VTM-4, $30 gal but it only takes 3 qts. The oil looked clean and no dirt on the oil plug. Filled the rear end and made the slow figure 8 turns forward and back to get the oil into the clutches. Initially the rear end was nice and quiet. Afterwards it was noisy at slow speed, like turning out the driveway. Kept making more figure eights and drove back to the dealer. He also drove it making the figure 8 turns. There is no heat and the dealer said there is no reason to change the rear end oil if there is no problem. After 3 months the noise is getting less. I'll never mess with it again! That routine change to make Honda money was a huge mistake.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts