Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I hate posting a link to edmunds since they won't let us link to the Org, but I gotta show this post and get opinions on it:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/[email protected]@.ef0e957/299

Its the guy's first and only post on Edmunds according to his profile, so I don't know if that means anything. Anybody heard anything like this before?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Qbrozen said:
OK, I hate posting a link to edmunds since they won't let us link to the Org, but I gotta show this post and get opinions on it:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/[email protected]@.ef0e957/299

Its the guy's first and only post on Edmunds according to his profile, so I don't know if that means anything. Anybody heard anything like this before?
I would have to go look for it, but seems like one of our members posted a report of noise from the rear differential after a dealer service. One thing that is strange in the letter is that the fluid was even changed at 7500 by a dealer, since it is not intended to be changed until the 15K service.

:confused:

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
If you're a member over at Edmunds, can you find out what dealer he's referring to?

This type of dealer interpretation of warranty issues is what worries me about using a trailer hitch without the cooling package for a bike rack.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Simple explanations

Usually the simplest explanations are the most likely: either he drove through some deep water and he's denying it, or the service guy screwed up. Either way, I doubt it's a vehicle problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Simple explanations

krygny said:
Usually the simplest explanations are the most likely: either he drove through some deep water and he's denying it, or the service guy screwed up. Either way, I doubt it's a vehicle problem.
I agree.. I tend to lean towards a dealer screw up. I wonder whos idea it was to replace the dif fluid so soon?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Something worrying me

colorider said:

I would have to go look for it, but seems like one of our members posted a report of noise from the rear differential after a dealer service. One thing that is strange in the letter is that the fluid was even changed at 7500 by a dealer, since it is not intended to be changed until the 15K service.

:confused:

Did some looking and this is the thread I was talking about. It mentions shudder rather than noise, so it may not be related. Still very interesting that in both cases the "problem" occurred AFTER servicing!!! :eek:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, one of my concerns is that deep water will really do this. It never occured to me to look for this in the manual. I mean, its an SUV, fer cryin out loud! Just how deep are we talking about?? Is up to the rocker panels too deep? Up just midway on the wheel? What? Geesh, now I'll be getting out and measuring every puddle!

i'll see if I can get the dealer name.

Oh, and as far as doing the VTM4 fluid at 7500, I've read alot of people on edmunds doing this. They either think they fall into the severe category or they just listened to the service advisor. Not sure where I posted this, but the service advisor where we go tried to convince my wife she needed it at 7500. Luckily, she came and got me to find out. I had to go back to the service advisor. He wouldn't even look up from his desk at me while I explained he is suggesting the severe schedule and not actually explaining to my wife that it is the severe schedule. I don't know what is wrong with these people sometimes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fluid

Someone else had a problem with the rear end after the dealer changed the fluid. Lots of noise that wasn't there before.

I changed mine and it comes in a sealed plastic jug with VTM-4 written all over it. Unless the dealer buys in bulk and the guy grabbed the wrong oil it is unlikely.

As far as getting it wet, it would have to be submerged for a long time to fill with water. Just driving through puddles couldn't possibly do it.

Put your thumb over a straw stick it in water it won't fill, same sort of principle.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the original poster still hasn't come back and given any more info. I originally thought of the possibility that it was all bull$%#@, and now I'm beginning to suspect that even more.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Qbrozen said:
the original poster still hasn't come back and given any more info. I originally thought of the possibility that it was all bull$%#@, and now I'm beginning to suspect that even more.
Perhaps it was our old buddy jcard71 trying a little sabotage!

:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
honda says to change it at 7500 then every 15k. the service info is much more up to date than the owners manual. the idea is to get any manufacturing particles out of there. there may be bits of casting flashing and such.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
chip said:
honda says to change it at 7500 then every 15k. the service info is much more up to date than the owners manual. the idea is to get any manufacturing particles out of there. there may be bits of casting flashing and such.
Where did "Honda" say this?

What is mort up to date than the owners manual? The Owners link site? That has been shown to be more wrong than right when it disagrees with the owners manual.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the owner's link site also says 15K.

so i don't know what this refers to either. Hopefully not the dealer's info. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts