Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That you and I should try not to drive near or behind a 18 wheeler on hightway because them wheels sure throw rocks and gavels at hight speed at our cars and would cause some major damages.It has happened to me twice,and believe it or not,it just happened to my Pilot.I was on I-40,my speed was around 60,and the truck's was like 65,just as it passing by me,the rearwheel threw a piece of rock at my bumper,gave it a long scratch and a little hole.Luckly,the size of the rock was the size of the grape fruit.The time before last,it was a whole piece of brick (that had been stuck between them tires)and it destroyed my whole windshield.(on my 280-Z)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hey, I live about 5 miles off I-40 here in NC! Small world.

And, if the truck doesn't have full mud flaps, it is responsible for damage to your vehicle from road debris. If he has good mud flaps, you're sol though. (In case you didn't know.)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
catbert said:
Hey, I live about 5 miles off I-40 here in NC! Small world.

And, if the truck doesn't have full mud flaps, it is responsible for damage to your vehicle from road debris. If he has good mud flaps, you're sol though. (In case you didn't know.)
Anyone have any luck proving something like that? I mean, unless you both stop right then & there & there's a police report & all, maybe. I don't know, just wondering how you'd prove the rock came from that guys truck. :8:
And then to prove the scratch wasn't there before?
Anyone here have an experience like this that ended up with the 'thrower' paying for the damage?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sage said:

Anyone have any luck proving something like that? I mean, unless you both stop right then & there & there's a police report & all, maybe. I don't know, just wondering how you'd prove the rock came from that guys truck. :8:
And then to prove the scratch wasn't there before?
Anyone here have an experience like this that ended up with the 'thrower' paying for the damage?
Well...no...but that's how its supposed to work. I would get the plate number and note what the mud flaps looked like (broken off at the top, non-existant, etc.) My husband drives a truck - not an 18 wheeler, but a Chevy 4500, to deliver antique drink machines, and he always makes sure his flaps are in perfect condition so he can't get sued for sending debris on someone behind him.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Thanks for sharing that with us, baoloclamdong. It's hard sometimes though to avoid being behind a big rig, especially when some of them drive as though they own the road. I've driven on the highway, particularly between my city and another big city (Canadian standards) about 3 hours away, enough times to have seen this time again and again.

Some of these drivers seem as though they assume you're going to slam on the brakes for them or that just as soon as they give the signal light, they can just barge into your lane.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts