Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I went to a party at a friend's house. I parallel parked the Pilot on the street and everything was fine. After the party I came out and started up the Pilot, and as I turned the steering wheel sharply to get out of the parking space I could hear something rolling around inside the steering wheel hub. I didn't hear anything break loose, there was no resistance. It simply seemed like someone had snuck out and inserted a loose marble in there between the time that I parked it and got back in.

I drove home over 30 miles and the airbag didn't deploy (phew!). In highway driving there was nothing unusual happening because the steering wheel remained pretty much upright, but on low speed maneuvers like parallel parking or similar when the wheel is turned 180 degrees or more, something was definitely rolling around in there.

I'm due for an oil change, so I was about to schedule that anyway, so I'll have the dealer look at this as well.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any guesses what the mystery marble could be?

·
Registered
283 Posts
My guess would be a screw worked itself out. I haven't had this problem.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boy, is my face red. I took the Pilot in for its 15k service and to have this steering wheel rattle fixed. It turns out that somehow a penny got inside there behind the airbag. I truly have no clue how this happened. I have not put any change anywhere near there, nor have I been handling pennies while driving. The dealer (Pauly Honda in Libertyville, IL) gave me absolutely no hassle about covering this as a warranty repair, though in all honesty, I wouldn't blame them if they had.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have two boys, 8 and 4, and of course I considered their culpability in this. BUT - to my recollection, neither one of them has ever even been in the front of the Pilot, even just to "play driver".

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kemosabe said:

P.S. Here is an article referenced in Bill Balmer's signature line about the Mercedes-Benz 190: March 1986 Car & Driver
Hey Kemosabe, I'm impressed (if not a little curious about how much time you have for web research).

Yes, that's my car (not just the same model, but my actual car) in that article. Keeping the miles low on that one is part of the reason that my Pilot is rolling up the miles so fast!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Bill Balmer said:

Hey Kemosabe, I'm impressed (if not a little curious about how much time you have for web research).

Yes, that's my car (not just the same model, but my actual car) in that article. Keeping the miles low on that one is part of the reason that my Pilot is rolling up the miles so fast!
Thanks, Bill Balmer!!! Hey, how come the article doesn't mention your name? Unless I completely missed it somehow... :confused:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kemosabe said:

Thanks, Bill Balmer!!! Hey, how come the article doesn't mention your name? Unless I completely missed it somehow... :confused:
I am not the original owner. Even if I were, at the time the article was written, the car was not yet titled, and had not been delivered to the original owner of record, who was the president of the Mercedes Benz Club of Chicago. It was imported by Mercedes directly to their technical training center so they could learn their way around it and train their technicians on it before they started seeing them in the dealerships. It was loaned out to Car & Driver from there. If you look closely in the pics, you can see that it has Illinois "Manufacturers" plates on it.

Here's a pic of how it looks today (by the way, it's for sale):

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Bill Balmer: The car looks to be in pristine condition from your photograph!!! I am a wee bit curious, though, what's the asking price for it? :confused:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh it IS! :D

Seriously, on the web site where you found the article that you referenced, it was voted as the finest 190E 2.3-16 in the world last year, and several of the people that frequent that site own the same model and have seen my car "in person".

Besides being the first of only 1880 cars imported to the US, and featured in the magazine, it is also the best performing stock 2.3-16 ever tested by a major magazine by a large margin - it beat Motor Trend's car in the 0-60 by 1.5 seconds (7.3 vs. 8.8)! Still it's no dragster. It really starts to shine when you get up to speed. High speed performance and handling is far better than any other car I've ever driven.

And for anyone who isn't familiar with the model (most people!), it was the car that Mercedes Benz produced when it decided to get back into the German DTM racing series, and it broke 12 speed records at the test track including the 50,000 km world speed/endurance record at an AVERAGE speed of 154.06 mph.

The problem with the model is that many of the surviving examples have really been thrashed, on and off the track, so they can be had for pretty cheap, but believe me - there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes! My car was owned, as I said by the president of the Chicago MB club, then the owner of a specialty MB, Porsche, and BMW repair shop. This guy is the national club car racing tech advisor for BMW, and he prefers Benzes - he really knows his stuff. I am the third owner.

I'm not in a big hurry to sell, but if the right offer came along, my wife would jump at it. ;) I've put over $30,000 into the car. I'm asking $15,000 or best offer. Interested?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Bill Balmer said:
Oh it IS! :D

[ S N I P P E D ]

I'm not in a big hurry to sell, but if the right offer came along, my wife would jump at it. ;) I've put over $30,000 into the car. I'm asking $15,000 or best offer. Interested?
Bill Balmer: Oh, the emotions are interested, but the wallet isn't...!!! A nice vehicle like that belongs in the hands of someone who knows and appreciates it -- not someone like me who will put 500 miles on it EVERY week!!! ;)

Your 1986 MB 190E is to you what a 1987 Buick Grand National GNX would be to me!!! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts