Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 2011 pilot. From private dealer. First week it blew a power steering line, he had his mechanic fix it, he fabricated his own line, and then sprayed rubber coating all over it.. Looks like crap.. But it worked. Needless to say I wasn't impressed. I've had the pilot 58 days, and have noticed the speakers Randomly hum , and when I use my headlamps it'll make a Bing noise and hum. Then the dome lights started to flicker.. Not too bad but they did. Last night I noticed my head lights had a random flicker, barely noticeable but still there. This morning I got into it and started it, and noticed my airbag light that's for passenger, was not lit up. Which means it's on... When I have noone sitting there, it should be off and illuminated. I drove and parked. When I got back in I started it, the airbag still registered on, and the check engine light was on
Read code it's p0685 ecm PCm internal malfunction. I contacted the guy I got it from and he said he'd "take a look", but seeing. How he rigged my power steering line, I have little faith.
Now here's the thing driving home, I seen my gauge lights slightly flickering, which they've never done, it was very mild, so I pulled over and shut it off... When I restarted it the engine light went OFF! but the airbag light is still not functioning right. And it's now obvious it's intermittent, and when I go there. Tomorrow I know he's going to try to brush it off, or say it's fixed and I have no clue how to tell if anything was fixed. I'm a 36yr Single mom with only basic knowledge of cars, and zero knowledge of pilots bc I always drove GMC. Does anyone have any clue what this is.. I spent every penny I saved on this vehicle so I'm kinda stressed out being it's my only mode of transportation to work and kids to school. Please help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it's 30days 1000mile..im at 58 days. And I think 800 miles. And my regular mechanic said there are so many loop holes and it's a very hard thing to-do.. I'd like to keep the vehicle if it was properly diagnosed and fixed. It has 97k on it.. I just don't know if after 60 days he can tell me to kick rocks

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
This code occurred after the power steering fluid spewed all over everything, I assume?
It's plausable that this has cause a fouled out conection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it happened this week, that happened over a month ago. I'm wondering possibly if it's my battery or battery terminals. Or if anyone has had this issue, I don't want to spend another 1000+ on repairs for a new ecm/pcm

·
Registered
908 Posts
Kari, electrical gremlins are incredibly difficult to tackle via forum, but some general thoughts. If it were mine, I'd assume for the moment that it is NOT a faulty PCM, but a power or ground issue related to the PCM and all the other electrical anomalies you noted. I'd start by eliminating some major things; i.e. what ISN'T the problem.

Battery/Charging; Make sure the battery post clamps are tight. Grab the battery post cables and give them a moderate wiggle and see if the car goes nuts.

If you have or can obtain a cheap digital test meter, measure the battery voltage not-running, idling in park, revved to 2000 RPM, directly across the posts. Then measure not-running, idling in park, revved to 2000 RPMs, directly across the battery clamps, right where the heavy wires enters the clamps.

Grounds; find every ground you can locate on the engine and under the hood. Look especially around where the replaced power steering hose is--the mechanic may have disturbed things to gain access. Back the ground bolt/screw of a half turn, then tighten it back up snug,

Damage: Look for critter nibbling at wiring harnesses, exposed copper where insulation has been chewed or rubbed off.

PCM power: Remove and reinsert the fuse and relays shown here: Under the hood, passenger side, near windshield)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kari, electrical gremlins are incredibly difficult to tackle via forum, but some general thoughts. If it were mine, I'd assume for the moment that it is NOT a faulty PCM, but a power or ground issue related to the PCM and all the other electrical anomalies you noted. I'd start by eliminating some major things; i.e. what ISN'T the problem.

Battery/Charging; Make sure the battery post clamps are tight. Grab the battery post cables and give them a moderate wiggle and see if the car goes nuts.

If you have or can obtain a cheap digital test meter, measure the battery voltage not-running, idling in park, revved to 2000 RPM, directly across the posts. Then measure not-running, idling in park, revved to 2000 RPMs, directly across the battery clamps, right where the heavy wires enters the clamps.

Grounds; find every ground you can locate on the engine and under the hood. Look especially around where the replaced power steering hose is--the mechanic may have disturbed things to gain access. Back the ground bolt/screw of a half turn, then tighten it back up snug,

Damage: Look for critter nibbling at wiring harnesses, exposed copper where insulation has been chewed or rubbed off.

PCM power: Remove and reinsert the fuse and relays shown here: Under the hood, passenger side, near windshield) View attachment 138734
Thank you for this info... Today they said they fixed the. Problem.. It was. A bad battery. They did replace it, I checked, and also had to put a code in for my radio. I haven't driven it much to see if the CEL will come back on, but so far I've noticed, my passenger airbag is still not functioning properly, its not illuminating which means it's sensing someone in the seat (but it's empty)..it worked fine Before the electrical issues started, and also there is still a humming in my speakers, just now not as loud. The flickering lights have stopped, hoping the CEL stays the hell off. We shall see... Thank you for this info

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Check for recalls on the SRS airbag system. My 2003 did the same thing, lighting up about the passenger airbag. The computer thinks that a child is sitting in the passenger seat. Make sure that you don't put your purse or lunchbox over there. That will trigger the light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check for recalls on the SRS airbag system. My 2003 did the same thing, lighting up about the passenger airbag. The computer thinks that a child is sitting in the passenger seat. Make sure that you don't put your purse or lunchbox over there. That will trigger the light.
I just checked for recall.. Mine said it had 0 recalls. I haven't sat anything there, and honestly.. Is it that serious of an issue?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It seems like the passenger seat sensor is a bit touchy. It's up to you to decide if it's a problem or not. I guess if the airbag system is messed up, that is a real issue. This is above my pay grade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts