Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went out to the vehicle today and the battery is basically dead. It lights on the dash were very dim and go out completely when trying to turn the key over. After connecting my battery charger, I could hear a cycling of clicking noises happening in the engine bay. When I enter the vehicle I can see the lights on the dash lighting up, clicks happening, and then lights go off ... rinse-repeat. I arm/disarm the vehicle to see if this would quit but it continued even with all doors/hood closed.

What is this cycling and is it normal? Is this what happens when the battery is near dead? I'm not sure why the battery was near dead in the first place and wondering if this cycling operation is what drained it down...

<UPDATE> The battery doesn't have enough power to keep the lights on very long but during this time I quickly pressed the remote start button on our aftermarket Viper alarm/remote start and the lights shut off and stopped cycling. The remember last night bumping my keys and hearing the Viper remote make some noise but didn't pay any attention to it. I must have hit remote start or something on the remote, it started, auto shuts off after 10-15 minutes, and I believe repeats itself. Eventually it must have not been able to turn itself on, maybe I'm out of gas now, and the continued cycling made the battery dead and never stops trying until you hit remote start again to shut off.

VIPER ... why do you make your remotes so the buttons are so easily pressed and why not make remote start a double tap to avoid accidental start? SMH ... my fault but this remote gets buttons depressed all the time on accident.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Note to self,
Dont get a Viper remote start/alarm system. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: The Todd and AVC

·
Registered
36 Posts
How old if the battery? Get it tested to see if it is any good. Autozone and other parts places can run tests to confirm the charging system condition for free for you. In your case if you cannot jump it you just have to pull it and bring it to them.( Assuming you have another way to get it there of course)
The clicking is common when battery is low and system does nto have enough power to get the motor the crank over.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
I went out to the vehicle today and the battery is basically dead. It lights on the dash were very dim and go out completely when trying to turn the key over. After connecting my battery charger, I could hear a cycling of clicking noises happening in the engine bay. When I enter the vehicle I can see the lights on the dash lighting up, clicks happening, and then lights go off ... rinse-repeat. I arm/disarm the vehicle to see if this would quit but it continued even with all doors/hood closed.

What is this cycling and is it normal? Is this what happens when the battery is near dead? I'm not sure why the battery was near dead in the first place and wondering if this cycling operation is what drained it down...

<UPDATE> The battery doesn't have enough power to keep the lights on very long but during this time I quickly pressed the remote start button on our aftermarket Viper alarm/remote start and the lights shut off and stopped cycling. The remember last night bumping my keys and hearing the Viper remote make some noise but didn't pay any attention to it. I must have hit remote start or something on the remote, it started, auto shuts off after 10-15 minutes, and I believe repeats itself. Eventually it must have not been able to turn itself on, maybe I'm out of gas now, and the continued cycling made the battery dead and never stops trying until you hit remote start again to shut off.

VIPER ... why do you make your remotes so the buttons are so easily pressed and why not make remote start a double tap to avoid accidental start? SMH ... my fault but this remote gets buttons depressed all the time on accident.
FWIW- I have an aftermarket OEM Key FOB remote starter. Requires 3 pushes of the 'lock' button to start it. HTH

·
Registered
36 Posts
How old if the battery? Get it tested to see if it is any good. Autozone and other parts places can run tests to confirm the charging system condition for free for you. In your case if you cannot jump it you just have to pull it and bring it to them.( Assuming you have another way to get it there of course)
The clicking is common when battery is low and system does not have enough power to get the motor the crank over.
If the battery was dead a test would show if the alternator was working right or not .. when my alternator went the transmission malfunctioned .. not enough power

1 - 5 of 5 Posts