Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 17 pilot EXL for the wife brand new in August of August of 2017. I have been a lifelong Honda guy. I am still daily my 2007 Acura TL Type s 6 speed which now has 153k on the clock (been trouble free beside scheduled maintenance, fingers crossed)

The pilot however was a different story.
7k miles hp fuel pump and motor mount replaced.
14000 miles rotors shuddering - Honda would not replace or resurface after 12k. I did new aftermarket rotors myself.
17000 miles first reprogram of transmission - Tom's would jump up and down when accelerating.
37000 miles homelink button for garage door stop working out of warranty
44000 window regulator on passenger side would close the window but so slowly only a matter of time before it died
53000 miles dreaded emissions failure light. Code was for fuel injectors not covered under warranty as not part of power train.
I drove the car to almost e put in premium gas from shell and ran through the gears hoping maybe it would blow what carbon was on the fuel injectors ( I know that's not how it works but I was so pissed at the car I was driving it angry) light clicks off. Maybe I got lucky on the emissions light and it was a false light but with all the other issues and Honda not standing behind it's product, I dumped the car. Traded it in, light stayed thank goodness. Maybe I just got a lemon...but I do think Honda cut some corners on this car. I had planned on driving this one for 7-10 years and 150k and then giving to my daughter. Now out looking for a different car. Rant over!

Any ideas on a different SUV? Like the telluride but will not pay what dealers are asking. Cold day in hell when the Kia is getting over MSRP and the Honda's are 3k off

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Any ideas on a different SUV? Like the telluride but will not pay what dealers are asking. Cold day in hell when the Kia is getting over MSRP and the Honda's are 3k off
Well it was 18 degrees outside when I woke up... so yea, the Kias are getting over MSRP.

Honestly the Telluride and Palisade would be the first two stops for me. We have a Traverse and love it but I'd say those are even more hit or miss on quality. I'm very intrigued by the Atlas but they just worsened the warranty. There's been many threads discussing competitors, particularly how many Honda fanboys (which I was growing up until my wife owned a Hyundai since '08 with zero problems) have their feelings hurt because of how good the Korean twins are.

What are your needs?

Ultimate Space - Traverse/Enclave
Germanic Ride/Style - Atlas
Luxury Value - Koreans
Unusable 3rd Row - Highlander and CX-9
Boxer 4 hum with the worst child seat LATCH design ever - Ascent
Ripped Off - New Explorer (Holy cow have you SEEN the pricing on these things?)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am disappointed in my 2017 EX as well. Noisy ride, shuddering brakes, ungainly handling (as consumer reports reported) liftgate holding water, part of my door handle fell off, clunking suspension. I am glad I did not get a more expensive trim than I did. Hopefully my liftgate won't start rusting from the inside out.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If price isn’t a huge issue and you don’t really need 8 seats I think you can’t go wrong with a 4Runner!
I am a HUGE 4Runner fan.

That being said, it's not for everyone. It rides more like a truck, has much worse NVH than a crossover and gets V8 truck-like mileage. My wife wanted one really bad and when we did an extended test drive she decided the rugged looks and off road durability/prowess are not worth the other sacrifices.

AND technically the 4Runner can be had as a 7 seater, but the rear seats are only suitable for children before they hit puberty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We bought a 17 pilot EXL for the wife brand new in August of August of 2017. I have been a lifelong Honda guy. I am still daily my 2007 Acura TL Type s 6 speed which now has 153k on the clock (been trouble free beside scheduled maintenance, fingers crossed)

The pilot however was a different story.
I feel your pain Maverick. I started a similar thread a couple of weeks ago asking if anyone is having long-term success stories with their Gen3 Pilots. Some good responses out there from other Piloteers. Here's the link to that discussion: Does Anyone Have Success Stories with their Gen 3 Pilot??

I do have 2 interesting Toyota products in our (rather large) family. A daughter-in-law with a 2WD Highlander (2018) and another daughter-in-law with a 2019 4Runner, TRD 4WD. The 4Runner is hitting about 12k miles and the Highlander is at about 25k. Neither of these vehicles has had a warranty claim. But, as mentioned above the 4Runner gets about the same MPG as a body-on-frame full-size SUV (Expedition, Tahoe, etc.). That said, IF I didn't care about the mileage and didn't care about 3 row seating, the 4Runner would be my #1 choice for a long-term keeper - knowing what I know now. Not a Pilot. The 4Runner isn't all that quiet or smooth riding (although still acceptable). But, it gives every indication that it is built to last.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well I have had my 2017 Pilot for almost 3 years now, and before it I had a 2001 Sequoia and my wife has a 2009 Camry. I have not been overly impressed with the Camry and my old Sequoia had its share of problems as well. I will be looking at American vehicles more closely next time. My 86 GMC Jimmy was just as good as my Sequoia after 15 years. My sons new 2019 Civic rides better and is much quieter than this Pilot.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a 17 EXL, I have been working on cars for over 20 years and own many Honda prior. This is the worse Honda I ever got and might be the last one. It has been to dealer 3X ( 1st and 2nd time both were tow jobs because wife is afraid to drive it-no power and all the lights on dash came on )so far for repairs. 1st was transmission oil pressure switch, then was cam sensor, 3rd was my Honda sensing stops working with error messages on dash and dealer told me the sensor was dirty and they reset it and clean it and is ok for now.
I intend to keep the car for 10 years like I usually do but not sure if this car can hold up that long. I did buy Honda care which I have never done but since it has all the pricy electronic parts I decided to go for it.
I did install many add on accessories myself and felt that this car is cheaply made, there is no sound proof at all and materials are just cheap.it now has 28000 miles, Seriously thinking about trade in ....

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 17 EXL, I have been working on cars for over 20 years and own many Honda prior. This is the worse Honda I ever got and might be the last one. It has been to dealer 3X ( 1st and 2nd time both were tow jobs because wife is afraid to drive it-no power and all the lights on dash came on )so far for repairs. 1st was transmission oil pressure switch, then was cam sensor, 3rd was my Honda sensing stops working with error messages on dash and dealer told me the sensor was dirty and they reset it and clean it and is ok for now.
I intend to keep the car for 10 years like I usually do but not sure if this car can hold up that long. I did buy Honda care which I have never done but since it has all the pricy electronic parts I decided to go for it.
I did install many add on accessories myself and felt that this car is cheaply made, there is no sound proof at all and materials are just cheap.it now has 28000 miles, Seriously thinking about trade in ....
This! Honda earned a reputation for engineering 20+ years ago and since then the accountants have slowly taken over and cost containment is king to the detriment of the product. Honda's CEO was recently quoted as saying he knows quality has fallen and Honda is spread too thin with too many vehicles in too many markets....his words. I think it shows in the Pilot. My 2018 has been the most problematic vehicle I've owned in the past 25 years and it only as 25K miles on it. I will likely trade this in soon as I just don't want to deal with the very high likelihood of continued issued. Also, the many interior trim/seat rattles and squeaks are also driving me crazy - they constant and loud and the car feels like it's coming apart with 25K easy miles!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow this gets me slightly less excited about potentially getting into a 2020 EXL to replace our 2010 Odyssey

Any sense that the '20s are better than the '17s or I assume they will be the same...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow this gets me slightly less excited about potentially getting into a 2020 EXL to replace our 2010 Odyssey

Any sense that the '20s are better than the '17s or I assume they will be the same...
This is a systemic problem at Honda...it won't potentially be fixed for several years and until new generations of vehicles are produced. That is of course assuming the CEO was both sincere about his comments and actually able to improve products at Honda. BTW...the ONLY reason Honda is addressing their quality problems is because it's now finally hurting their bottom line which is of course funny because the reason they went cheap in the first place was to maximize their bottom line. My guess is if in the future profitability goes up they will again return to trying to maximize profits over quality. This is the world we live in...shareholders > customers. Some companies straddle this line better than others....Honda has not been great about this recently IMO. Toyota is also showing signs of maximizing profits over quality but they haven't lost their way nearly as much as Honda. Hyundai/Kia/Genesis is still spending a ton of money and is where Honda/Toyota were 20+ years ago - if they do achieve significant market share success you can expect them to do the same. Capitalism at it's finest!

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is a systemic problem at Honda...it won't potentially be fixed for several years and until new generations of vehicles are produced. That is of course assuming the CEO was both sincere about his comments and actually able to improve products at Honda. BTW...the ONLY reason Honda is addressing their quality problems is because it's now finally hurting their bottom line which is of course funny because the reason they went cheap in the first place was to maximize their bottom line. My guess is if in the future profitability goes up they will again return to trying to maximize profits over quality. This is the world we live in...shareholders > customers. Some companies straddle this line better than others....Honda has not been great about this recently IMO. Toyota is also showing signs of maximizing profits over quality but they haven't lost their way nearly as much as Honda. Hyundai/Kia/Genesis is still spending a ton of money and is where Honda/Toyota were 20+ years ago - if they do achieve significant market share success you can expect them to do the same. Capitalism at it's finest!

Yeah unfortunately I don't like the look of those Hyundai twins SUVs personally

My 2010 Odyssey and 2014 Accord have been super from a maintenance standpoint

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, first time poster. In the same boat. Owned several Honda vehicles; the daily is a TSX with 220k miles that's been nearly completely issue free. Our '17 pilot elite has been a constant headache. Constant in and out of the shop over things constantly breaking. Just yesterday, it popped numerous warning lights (hill climb, lane assist, etc). Combine this with ridiculous service items (changing the rear diff fluid every 15k miles) I'm looking to dump this thing and move on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi, first time poster. In the same boat. Owned several Honda vehicles; the daily is a TSX with 220k miles that's been nearly completely issue free. Our '17 pilot elite has been a constant headache. Constant in and out of the shop over things constantly breaking. Just yesterday, it popped numerous warning lights (hill climb, lane assist, etc). Combine this with ridiculous service items (changing the rear diff fluid every 15k miles) I'm looking to dump this thing and move on.
In all fairness I believe the rear diff gets a fluid change at 15k miles and then every 30K after that first change. That said, I'm with you. I'm not worried this thing is going to leave me stranded on the side of the road and I'm sure the engine will due 200K if serviced appropriately but all the little nagging things have soured my enjoyment of driving it and at 25K miles it doesn't feel like a $40K vehicle. This was a few thousand less than my 2019 RX350 and they are built to a completely different standard. With the 0% and 0.9% financing they've been offering the past few years even with $0 down it's quick and easy to have positive equity in these vehicles (in other words easy to get rid of them) and with so many alternatives out there....why settle?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Is the MDX built to a higher standard or same? I personally like the larger size of the current Pilot vs MDX but thinking the new MDX coming out this year may larger since the RDX is almost the size of the MDX now. But not sure it's worth it to wait or whether it is worth the extra 15k or whatever the premium cost is

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is the MDX built to a higher standard or same? I personally like the larger size of the current Pilot vs MDX but thinking the new MDX coming out this year may larger since the RDX is almost the size of the MDX now. But not sure it's worth it to wait or whether it is worth the extra 15k or whatever the premium cost is
Not in my experience. Acura sold 160K vehicles last year? I've owned Honda and Acura vehicles and my conclusion is Honda spends even less attention on Acura since sales are so pitiful. I see no discernible difference in either the build quality or materials chosen with either brand outside of maybe some interior materials. I think the paint, mechanicals, drivetrains are all standard Honda parts. Acura's may have a few more gadgets and a little better styling but they are just expensive Hondas.

The RDX while selling well has had a lot of first year problems. Head on over to those forums if you want a taste. I was very tempted with the RDX but decided to stay clear after a lot of research.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In all fairness I believe the rear diff gets a fluid change at 15k miles and then every 30K after that first change. That said, I'm with you. I'm not worried this thing is going to leave me stranded on the side of the road and I'm sure the engine will due 200K if serviced appropriately but all the little nagging things have soured my enjoyment of driving it and at 25K miles it doesn't feel like a $40K vehicle. This was a few thousand less than my 2019 RX350 and they are built to a completely different standard. With the 0% and 0.9% financing they've been offering the past few years even with $0 down it's quick and easy to have positive equity in these vehicles (in other words easy to get rid of them) and with so many alternatives out there....why settle?

True. Another thing, I installed a trans cooler because I planned to tow every once in a while but towing a 4500lb load once suggested this is not the platform at all for that.

And when I installed the cooler, even giving them the VIN, they sold me the wrong trans fluid. As soon as I started pouring it in to top it off, I noticed it was red in color (trans fluid that leaked when installing the lines was clear) so I stopped pouring.Trans fluid for this thing is ~$50/qt... That equated to a $900 trans flush...

Dealer helped with the cost since they sold the wrong fluid but it really brought it to attention that this thing isn't your typical easy to work on/reliable Honda that I'm used to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Traded it in, light stayed thank goodness. Maybe I just got a lemon...but I do think Honda cut some corners on this car.
If it is not a secret what was the value you got on your trade in.
I am looking to get 2017-2018 EX-L. Curious, how much dealers put on the top of that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If price isn’t a huge issue and you don’t really need 8 seats I think you can’t go wrong with a 4Runner!
The 4 Runner and the
True. Another thing, I installed a trans cooler because I planned to tow every once in a while but towing a 4500lb load once suggested this is not the platform at all for that.

And when I installed the cooler, even giving them the VIN, they sold me the wrong trans fluid. As soon as I started pouring it in to top it off, I noticed it was red in color (trans fluid that leaked when installing the lines was clear) so I stopped pouring.Trans fluid for this thing is ~$50/qt... That equated to a $900 trans flush...

Dealer helped with the cost since they sold the wrong fluid but it really brought it to attention that this thing isn't your typical easy to work on/reliable Honda that I'm used to.
I've got 198K on my 2005 Pilot. Minor wear items like power steering pump,cv boots,etc. Same trans and the engine purrs. Sounds like a different vehicle when the dreaded time comes.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts