Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a new pilot in December so unfortunately I will not be able to purchase a Ridgeline for a couple more years, but I have to say I'm really liking it. I currently have a f150 and would trade it in a heartbeat

·
Registered
325 Posts
it has CarPlay/Android Auto:surprise::eek::confused::crying:

And... newer tech and software!!!!!

BTW: this thread's likely gunna end up on another forum soon - "Comparisons"???

·
Registered
375 Posts
it has CarPlay/Android Auto
Confirmed, and you can check it out for yourself here.

"The new Ridgeline delivers the most advanced technology and connectivity that Honda has to offer, including a standard 8-inch capacitive touchscreen Display Audio connectivity interface with both Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ compatibility for seamless integration of compatible smartphone features and functions, including smartphone-powered navigation capabilities."

·
Registered
110 Posts
Very disappointed that Honda decided to load the Ridgeline with better audio features and sound and leave the 2016 Pilot owners behind. I was scheduled for a 2015 Pilot but waited for the 2016 due to all of the changes. Should have waited a few more months and selected a Ridgeline!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Very disappointed that Honda decided to load the Ridgeline with better audio features and sound and leave the 2016 Pilot owners behind. I was scheduled for a 2015 Pilot but waited for the 2016 due to all of the changes. Should have waited a few more months and selected a Ridgeline!
I think the Car Play and Android is bait to get folks to buy the Ridgeline. Personally, I'm not a fan of the pictures I have seen of the Ridgeline. Yes, it shares the same front end of the Pilot. But, the truck bed just doesn't fit as it lost the angled "pillars" of the previous generation. But, like most remodels, it may grow on me (although, never planning to buy it).

There is another thread on this forum that discusses pulling the trigger on when you should buy. Don't shop for 100% features...you'll be waiting forever to buy any car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a 2006 Ridgeline, one of the first manufactured in early 2005, 237,000 miles. Trading it in for a 2016 Touring, which should be in next week. Of all the vehicles I have owned the Ridgeline is my favorite, the Pilot fits our current needs better hence the shift. Biggest complaint over on the Ridgeline Owners Club is that the new Gen 2 Ridgeline looks like a 2016 Pilot from the rear door forward both inside and out. Not too surprising since they are both produced at the same plant in Alabama and competing for line time.

In my opinion the new Ridgeline lacks the uniqueness of the Gen 1, so it's going to be hard to differentiate it from stiff competition. Honda has never figured out how to market it, they tried to make it a new class, the "SUT, Sports Utility Truck". The failed with the Gen 1, once you bought it you loved it, unfortunately not many bought. They are not trying to appeal to current truck owners, instead they want the tailgate set, hence the speakers in the bed and the trunk that can be used as a cooler. Hope they are successful but my guess is that they will have a hard time getting the dealers, let alone the buyers, to buy in.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The new Ridgeline may not be as unique as the first one but it is better in just about every way. I really like it but am not in the market for a pickup. They no longer make the kind of pickup I would buy. They are all too big now. A modern version of the VW pickup with a nice modern diesel getting 50 mpg would sure tempt me though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The new Ridgeline may not be as unique as the first one but it is better in just about every way. I really like it but am not in the market for a pickup. They no longer make the kind of pickup I would buy. They are all too big now. A modern version of the VW pickup with a nice modern diesel getting 50 mpg would sure tempt me though.
I like it's looks too, but it's not on the road yet, too soon to say it is better in every way. They took the shifter off the steering post and put it in the center, sacrificed a lot of interior space. Ground clearance is suspect also. It' s not a "too big" truck. Same chassis and hence wheelbase as the Pilot, just a little more welding to beef it up. And towing is rated at 5000 pounds, many were hoping for an improvement. Insiders are saying Honda isn't too concerned about that, not the demographic they are after.

·
Registered
56 Posts
. Biggest complaint over on the Ridgeline Owners Club is that the new Gen 2 Ridgeline looks like a 2016 Pilot from the rear door forward both inside and out. Not too surprising since they are both produced at the same plant in Alabama and competing for line time.
It doesn't just look like a pilot, it is a pilot with back end cut off and replaced with a truck bed. There are a few fascia changes (bumper, grill) but I bet you could remove those and put the pilot ones on in there place without any modifications. It's the same interior as well, at least from the front seats forward. I didn't see any difference at all which gives me hope that adding android auto/carplay to the pilot really is just a firmware update....just have to make them do it>:)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think the Car Play and Android is bait to get folks to buy the Ridgeline. Personally, I'm not a fan of the pictures I have seen of the Ridgeline. Yes, it shares the same front end of the Pilot. But, the truck bed just doesn't fit as it lost the angled "pillars" of the previous generation. But, like most remodels, it may grow on me (although, never planning to buy it).

There is another thread on this forum that discusses pulling the trigger on when you should buy. Don't shop for 100% features...you'll be waiting forever to buy any car.

Carplay and Android will only be available on the top two trims in the Ridgeline. No Honda sensing either except for the expensive trims. An unfortunate thing for Ridgeline buyers because the Civic has Honda sensing available in ALL models.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm kind of torn so far. I've seen some pictures where I've thought it looks really good and other times I've thought it looks small and unappealing. I want to see one in person. It doesn't matter to me either way though since I only bought the '16 Pilot about a month ago.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The biggest problem with the previous Ridgeline was not having a split bed. A Dodge Dakota, Ford Ranger or most other compact trucks have the ability to actually haul something in the bed because the bed rides separate on the chassis from the cab. But the Ridgeline was a single bed side / cab side. It looks like the 2017 actually has a split bed. I didn't hear it mentioned at the car show debut on YouTube but the pictures sure look like it to me. So that could be a great improvement. Although before I thought it had some good character like the previous boxy Pilot, but now seems to have an El Camino or Subaru Brat feel to me. Even with the bed improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
It looks decent, but I stopped giving it any consideration when I found out where the spare tire is located. If you fill the bed with a load of compost or something not easily removable and get a flat you're screwed. That was a deal breaker for me.

~ Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts