Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed the offer. Anybody got opinions on why this is a good idea?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,841 Posts
I haven’t tried the premium feature, but I don’t feel that I’m missing out on anything with the standard membership.

Hopefully the forum sponsor doesn’t drop the ban hammer on me for saying that.?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,283 Posts
I haven’t tried the premium feature, but I don’t feel that I’m missing out on anything with the standard membership.

Hopefully the forum sponsor doesn’t drop the ban hammer on me for saying that.?
Uh oh, you're undermining their business model.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
There actually was a time and I actually considered it ..but then the other day when that admin said take it or leave it ..well nope i put my money into Roblox :)

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
There actually was a time and I actually considered it ..but then the other day when that admin said take it or leave it ..well nope i put my money into Roblox :)
Yea I have never and will never pay to be a "member" on one of these forums, but when the admins denied my request to update the banner to show the 2nd gen model since they did it wrong in the first place that sealed the deal.

Reactions: Tahoefever

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
yes
Yea I have never and will never pay to be a "member" on one of these forums, but when the admins denied my request to update the banner to show the 2nd gen model since they did it wrong in the first place that sealed the deal.
Yes I saw that ..basically they said to shut up and take it

·
Registered
301 Posts
That's what happens when Verticalscope accuires a forum, it's no longer run for Enthusiasts by Enthusiasts. It's run for profit, but there are worse owners than them out there that can completely kill a forum. I like this place for the members more than the owners. Sadly the internet is completely going to subscriptions and the free sharing of info is dying a slow death.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Sadly, things aren't that free any more. Way back in the early days of darpa net, we used simple list servers on minis to share info. It was all text-based, and the bill for the network itself as absorbed by sponsoring agencies and schools. Folks would dial in to a portal with a 300-baud (!!!) modem, and take care of all their business quickly since your phone company billed you by the minute for making calls. These days there's a lot more involved in both the medium and the message, and folks who do that stuff like to be compensated. Imagine that!

So operating costs get covered by advertising in the sidebars, popping up based on some complex algorithm that sez that since you just looked at or bought an X, you must need a slew of ads for more X's. Next option is a paid membership deal, where you agree to subsidize the ad revenue for the privilege of having a less ad-filled screen. I play in several forums beside Piloteers, and can say that this one isn't a whole lot worse or better than the average for ads. Participants here are pretty civilized and we don't miss the hostility and petty sniping that seem to dominate some specialty marque forums. I moderate a few others, and see that the folks here do a good enough job without my "help". The software in use here is a little different from what I'm used to, so I'm sure the mod tools have been similarly "improved" too. Plenty of ads crashing into my firewall and software ad-blocker, so there must be money changing hands. Just not mine. yet. I do pay-support a few forums that I don't mod, since I'm somewhat aware of the business model. Yes, it IS a business.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Does anyone else remember the great Photobucket Collapse 5 or 6 years ago? I housed 100% of my photos on their and linked them into forums, I can't tell you how many how-to threads or build threads I've made over the years that are totally garbage now. Not to mention my thousands of pictures that are not recoverable unless I download each one individually, but have you been on their site to try and download them? I feel like I need to shower with all of the popups and ads and crashiness to that site now.

:mad:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I think the road is littered with the rotting carcasses of great ideas that stayed great until they ran out of investor support. Photobucket ran out of money supporting their free programs, and asked users to contribute support. Lots of IP scattered to bits. :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Does anyone else remember the great Photobucket Collapse 5 or 6 years ago? I housed 100% of my photos on their and linked them into forums, I can't tell you how many how-to threads or build threads I've made over the years that are totally garbage now. Not to mention my thousands of pictures that are not recoverable unless I download each one individually, but have you been on their site to try and download them? I feel like I need to shower with all of the popups and ads and crashiness to that site now.

:mad:
Oh, yeah. I, too, had lots of photos there and many albums were shared in my amateur radio club's newsletter in a monthly article I wrote and many others were shared somewhere else. I had moved to Photobucket after the Kodak hosting site went away (A Kodak was my first digital camera.). I moved to Flickr after Photobucket collapsed. I was upset with them before that as their picture viewing function did not work property with Firefox and they didn't seem to care.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Yes, curses be upon Photobucket.

Well, at least your Flickr is working well, which allowed me to see your '57 Chieftain. Hope you don't get tired of hearing this, but she's a beaut. (y)

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Wow that Chieftan is quite a looker... congrats! I hope one day my Impala will look that nice!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Looks like the one-time-payment "lifetime member" option isn't available. :(

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Looks like the one-time-payment "lifetime member" option isn't available. :(
Of course not they want a revolving bill

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Like Microsoft turning Windows into a subscription service, à la Office 365? ?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Welcome to Linux
Amen, but...

Over half the farm runs on Linux here. The workstations need Windows because a few mission-critical applications only run on Windows, or clients demand their use. I'm guessing that if/when Windows goes to a subscription model, there will be a stepped-up effort to get the CAD, financial and accounting apps ported to Linux. Right now I have some good math and derivative engineering tools that run MUCH better and faster on Linux than they ever did or will on Windows. At some point soon we'll end up with all the Windows apps on VM's, and find a way to manage and unlock any "subscription" access they come up with from within the VM's anyway. With Windows emulators so good on the Macs, no reason to think that won't extend to other platforms.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
It will come

1 - 20 of 24 Posts