Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yippeee!!!! Have any of you Northwesterners noticed that we've been getting some snow in the mountains? I'm itching to bust out my snowboard and hit the slopes so I've been keeping my eye on conditions.

Mt Baker Ski Area is set to open on Thursday. Stevens Pass has a tentative opening date of late November. Their website says they need approximately 30 inches to open. They are at a 20" base right now. WOO HOO!

Thanks for letting me share my excitement. Here are some links to keep an eye on the local ski area conditions:

Stevens Pass (where I'll be spending my time this winter) conditions: http://stevenspass.harborproperties.com/ResApps/Conditions.aspx

Summit at Snoqualmie conditions: http://www.summit-at-snoqualmie.com/winter/conditions.html

Mt Baker Ski Area conditions: http://www.mtbaker.us/snow_report/report_fs.html

And if you're heading out of state (WA) for some winter fun, here are a few of my favorite places to ride:

Kirkwood (outside of Tahoe) - http://www.kirkwood.com
Mt Bachelor (Bend, OR) - http://www.mtbachelor.com
Whistler (British Columbia, CA) - http://www.whistler-blackcomb.com/

TAKE ME TO THE SNOW!!!! :claphead:

Jill :roadtrip:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
It seems that Snohomish is very appropriately named!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I live in the Bellingham area and I look out my window every morning at Mt. Baker. It doesn't look quite ready yet, but will they announced that they are going to open the 20th. and will have both base areas open by the weekend.:1:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
That's the beauty of Washington (Literally!). There are mountains everywhere you look.
Little Switzerland! I'll be seeing you up there JillChristina...I'll be on the lookout for Pilots once I get up there. Let me know when you think conditions are best.
I'm so excited to drive the Pilot in snow, that I may forget to bring a snowboard. Lift tickets are ridiculous now days anyway...that has me worried.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
74PILOTMOM said:
Lift tickets are ridiculous now days anyway...that has me worried.
If you go to Stevens Pass, buy an Advantage Card!! Your first ticket is free (with the purchase of the card) and all tickets after the first one are discounted. A great deal!

Check it out: http://www.stevenspass.com/html/rates/advantagecard.shtml

Jill

P.S.
My Pilot is the one with the Snowbunny sticker on the back window (bunny holding a snowboard). ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
jillchristina said:
If you go to Stevens Pass, buy an Advantage Card!!
You can use your Advantage Card at Harbor's premier resort, Schweitzer, in Sandpoint Idaho. Check it out: http://www.schweitzer.com/ We live in Spokane and awoke to a foot of new snow this morning. :D Couldn't wait to treat the new Pilot to its first snow day. Too much fun. Did not want to make that last turn into the parking garage at work. Oh well, more snow on the way and Schweitzer opens on Thanksgiving. :7:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Snow Day!

So, how'd the Pilot do in the snow? I'm tempted to take a drive up to the Summit (Snoqualmie) and treat ours to some snow...

Do tell!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yes! Please tell us how it was- I haven't seen a flake yet, even though it's all around me in surrounding cities:3:
I'm dying to test her out!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
The "weather-guessers" are saying SNOW for here in Northern Colorado today! Perhaps as much as 8". Maybe I will get the chance to try out my NEW snow blower!!!

:)

·
Registered
429 Posts
We are expecting 6" to 12" here in Minneapolis too!!!!! I just want it to do something! I hate it being cold and grey and not do something!!!!!!!!!!:3:

Matt

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Well, we have had light snow most of the day, but probably not more than a couple inches on the grass. The roads are fairly slick and it is COLD out!:cool:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Same here not much of a storm yet! Went out to do some shopping and get some supper and I have come to the conclusion that these Goodyears suck!:eek:
The Goodyear wranglers I had on my rodeo were better in the snow than these things. Oh well what can you expect for $31000 right?:rolleyes:

Matt

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
High of 70 yesterday, 1-3" expected by tomorrow at this time :rolleyes:

Welcome to Buffalo NY :p
We had a high of 21 yesterday after a low of -1 the night before. It is supposed to be in the mid-30's today!! Heat wave!!
:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
Yes! Please tell us how it was- I haven't seen a flake yet, even though it's all around me in surrounding cities:3:
I'm dying to test her out!
Spokane awoke to another 4 inches this morning. .:D The Pilot is great in the snow. The VTM-4 works flawlessly. Acceleration at icy intersections is very good. Climbs modest snowy hills without a problem. Haven't tried a steep one yet. Easily plows through 12+ inches of snow and ruts. The OEM tires stink. Give yourself a lot of stopping and maneuvering room. Ordered a set of Michelin Alpin 4x4 from Costco. They have a $40 rebate on a set of 4. $100 each installed after rebate. Definitely worth it if you plan on driving in the snow. The Pilot is a heavy rig and the OEM "all weather" :rolleyes: tires just don't do a good job stopping on snow and ice. Schweitzer could open on Wednesday. :claphead: YeeeHaaaa

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Ahh...I'm going to head over to Leavenworth in December, that is a picturesque snow scene. I will definitely be bringing the digital camera then. I hope have new Michelins on by then, but doubt it will happen. Am I in danger? The OEM tires actually suck on perfectly dry pavement too, so I'm a little scared of taking her out with the crapyears on. I went out in the ice this morning, and learned the difference between Icy civic driving and Icy Pilot driving. No problem going up hills, but going down the hills is scary. Civic driving felt just the opposite. The Pilot must be twice the weight of the civic. Maybe more?

·
Registered
9 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
Ahh...I'm going to head over to Leavenworth in December, that is a picturesque snow scene. I will definitely be bringing the digital camera then. I hope have new Michelins on by then, but doubt it will happen. Am I in danger? The OEM tires actually suck on perfectly dry pavement too, so I'm a little scared of taking her out with the crapyears on. I went out in the ice this morning, and learned the difference between Icy civic driving and Icy Pilot driving. No problem going up hills, but going down the hills is scary. Civic driving felt just the opposite. The Pilot must be twice the weight of the civic. Maybe more?
The Michelins I purchased are dedicated snow tires. In eastern Washington everyone should have a set of snow tires for the winter, though some don't :bonk:. If you are going to use "all season" tires for winter driving, go slowly and give yourself lots of space to stop and maneuver. Probably a good idea to find an empty parking lot or out of the way road to practice on. Driving the Pilot in the snow will be completely different than driving the Civic. As you note, the Pilot is much heavier and thus much more difficult to stop. Moreover, a 4 wheel drive vehicle acts differently from a two wheel drive when you lose traction. Its best to experience the difference in a controlled "practice" setting than in a true emergency. Empty parking lot practice of fun too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
You should be fine with the OEM's getting you safely to and from Leavenworth. I've had really good luck with my GY Integrity's. But, like you said, it takes a long time to stop when you're on ice.

Are you going I-90, Hwy 97 or taking Hwy 2 all the way? I always make a loop out of it and go both routes. Such a beautiful area. I just love their lighting festival. Unfortunately, this will be the first year in a while that we haven't made it up there. Too busy trying to get moved into a new house before Christmas.

For those interested in Leavenworth, WA:
http://www.leavenworth.org/SlideShow/christmaslight/light1.htm

-Pete

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
how about some pics of the snow!!

down here in Florida, it's still September outside. Last time I checked, they are forecasting about 81 degrees for Thanksgiving.:9:

Guess no fire in the fireplace this year.. :(

Off topic:

I wonder what Christmas is like in the southern hemisphere with Christmas happening in the summer. Santa in shorts, chestnuts roasting on your driveway... :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts