Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Pilot elite with the 9 speed transmission. Pretty snowy here in central Wyoming, while driving in snow mode I struggled to get traction. Only 26k with the factory continental tires, I have my snow tires (Toyo Observe) mounted on the wheels that came in my 2014 Pilot Exl that I kept. They are 18” wheels and tires, and I was told by my tire shop the 18 inch are only 2 tenths of an inch shorter overall height vs my factory 20 inch. Dealer says the computer can only accept one set of tpms sensors programmed into the 2018 Pilot unlike the 2014 that could have two in the system. I miss my 03 Envoy Xl that had real 4 wheel drive. Any ideas on how to get this pilot to behave when it’s slick? I can live with the tpms light being on for the winter while
The snow wheels are on the vehicle as I have my own torque wrench, and what is the lug nut torque supposed to be set at?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think it's your tires. I've found the AWD system (using any terrain mode) to be absolutely unstoppable here in Alaska, but I'm on Blizzaks.

However, I think your dealer is wrong. Everything I've read says the 3rd Gen Pilot will accept 2 sets of TPMS sensors. My older 2015 Odyssey can only remember one, so I've had to clone sensors for that. The threads on here seem to indicate that a second set of OEM sensors will work straight away.

I believe lug nuts are approx 95 ft lb.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
The 3rd gen Pilot TPMS will accept a second set of sensors as long as they match the frequency of the OEM sensors which I believe is 433Mhz. I have a second set of winter rims with sensors and the TPMS picks up the sensor signals right away when you start driving without any reprogramming.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
I have a 2018 Pilot elite with the 9 speed transmission. Pretty snowy here in central Wyoming, while driving in snow mode I struggled to get traction. Only 26k with the factory continental tires, I have my snow tires (Toyo Observe) mounted on the wheels that came in my 2014 Pilot Exl that I kept. They are 18” wheels and tires, and I was told by my tire shop the 18 inch are only 2 tenths of an inch shorter overall height vs my factory 20 inch. Dealer says the computer can only accept one set of tpms sensors programmed into the 2018 Pilot unlike the 2014 that could have two in the system. I miss my 03 Envoy Xl that had real 4 wheel drive. Any ideas on how to get this pilot to behave when it’s slick? I can live with the tpms light being on for the winter while
Which model of Toyo Observe winter tires do you have?
What size are they?
Are they new with full tread depth or partially worn?
Does the TPMS light being on possibly mean that the VSA stability/traction-control function is also being disabled?

·
Registered
722 Posts
This is an easy one, use the mud mode. The snow mode is for people who are cautious and don't want the car to get out of control. In the mud mode more slip is allowed as well as more tire spin to keep momentum up. Nothing will get you stuck faster than a snow mode in snow lol

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which model of Toyo Observe winter tires do you have?
What size are they?
Are they new with full tread depth or partially worn?
Does the TPMS light being on possibly mean that the VSA stability/traction-control function is also being disabled?

This is the model of Toyo I have.....https://www.lesschwab.com/observe-gsi-5-winter-studless-5955713.html
The size is 235/60/18. I have not put them on my 2018 yet as I still need a second set of TPMS sensors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts