1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, the weather outside is frightful,
but my Pilot is delightful.
I've got places to go.
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I even had to scrape my windows after work!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Morning After.........

Pilot.........well behaved in the snow. I took this one this morning when I got to work. It's 6 degrees out there now!!! YIKES!!:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Side note: All that snow and ice on my Pilot the previous night is now a huge puddle on my garage floor. Don't walk out in your socks to get fire wood!!!!!

Feel free to add your own snow day pics to this thread!!!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's what my Pilot would look like if I lived were Tim does!

Oh wait! I'd have to dig out of a gazzillion feet of snow!

The view from Buffalo:

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Snow in Kentucky

We got 5-6" here last night, schools are closed and kids are thrilled.
Hopefully I will take and post some pictures of the Pilot out in it later today. Drove home in an inch or so of snow and ice last night and, as others have confirmed, it was extremely steady. I could make it spin a bit only if I floored it e.g. on a hill. (Only when I was trying. hard.)

I know, to those of you up north, 5-6" is nuthin'.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We got approx. 4 inches in Cincy. I getting all worried looking out the window here at work that the road crews won't leave me a place to play with my Pilot in the snow tonight!! :eek: Nah, I will find some.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Casanewt said:
We got approx. 4 inches in Cincy. I getting all worried looking out the window here at work that the road crews won't leave me a place to play with my Pilot in the snow tonight!! :eek: Nah, I will find some.
We're estimated to get anywhere from 6 - 10 inches in NJ! I can't wait to go home and play either..... it'll be the first chance I get to "PILOT" thru the snow.... :2:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Woohoo!

Seven to eight inches here in south central PA! I took the Pilot out on some unplowed dirt roads and steep hills - I am totally impressed! Nothing could stop it. The VTM-4 is seamless in it's operation and handles steep grades from a stop effortlessly. It's amazing as a front drive vehicle after the VTM-4 has done it's job as well. Climbing hills at 20 - 25 MPH after the VTM-4 shuts off is no sweat for the Pilot. Bring on the snow!:2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
ya ya.. 6 - 10" here in DC. Incredibly smooth starts, even in the mush. I even got to run a red light because some nut in a van was about to rear-end me... I nailed him w/ a shower of sandy mush from the rear tires, just so he knew how things stood...

bah -- I see snow plows now... they are ruining my experiments.

Scientific testing (in the parking lot at work) reveals that the Pilot OWNS the competition (Santa Fe, 4Runner, Pathfinder) in braking... although the Pathfinder beat us all in coolio, 360 degree, stooopid trick driving (what a puck).

btw -- I snagged the Michelin Arctic Alpines instead of the 4x4 Alpines ('cause I need QUIET!!! when its not snowing). They don't look like much, but I'm really impressed w/ the stopping power.

Ice testing tonight
:4:

·
Registered
144 Posts
bah -- I see snow plows now... they are ruining my experiments.
I have hated snow plows for as long as I can remember. We used to throw snowballs at them when I was a kid because they would clear a path for the school busses. When I got older I hated them even more because they would always arrive just after I finished shoveling the driveway and would dump a few feet of packed hard snow at the end of the driveway when passing.

We're supposed to get 6" here in NYC by tonight!! Call me sacreligious, but I'm going to break out the sled in Riverside Park with the kids tonight rather than the Pilot. I haven't been on a sled in about a year, while I've drove the Pilot last weekend.

Evergreen

·
Registered
149 Posts
We have 8-10" of snow here in MD outside DC. Drove the Pilot up Interstate 270, which was unplotted at the time, and the Pilot handled beautifully. It handled extremely well getting off the ramps. I floored it on a service road and the tires did not spinned at all. The ABS kicked in when I stepped on the brake and the Pilot stopped straight. I have the Michilin Cross Terrain, which may be handled better in the snow than the Good Year stock tires. Overall, I am very impressed the Pilot's handling in the snow.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Plenty of snow here in NJ. I drove home from Philly on the NJ Turnpike. The Pilot handled flawlessly, I was able to maintain speeds over 60 passing everything else on the road. I watched a tractor-trailer almost jackknife in front of me. The driver somehow corrected it at the last minute, but boy was he shaken. I saw quite a few accidents on the way.

When I got home, I went to a unplowed parking lot and experimented. I floored the Pilot and it spun for a sec then fishtailed slightly, straightened itself out and took off. Tried this several times. Only fishtailed a few times. Did some hard stops also. Brakes worked great.

Great vehicle. Does exactly what it was designed to do.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Took mine out first time today, in snow, in Northern New Jersey. I was impressed with its ability to go and stop well was much more stable than anything else I came across on the road. However to those whose say it won't spin...hmmm yeah right!. If you accelerate heavily your tires WILL spin, if you accelerate more than just light in a turn you will slide.

One thing I noticed and I thought wasn't right. When I engage my VTM4 Lock, the light stays lite till over 30+, in fact I never got it to go out. I thought the lite would go out and disengage at 18mph.
Any thoughts?

Joe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Woohoo!

ontheverge said:
Seven to eight inches here in south central PA! I took the Pilot out on some unplowed dirt roads and steep hills - I am totally impressed! Nothing could stop it. The VTM-4 is seamless in it's operation and handles steep grades from a stop effortlessly. It's amazing as a front drive vehicle after the VTM-4 has done it's job as well. Climbing hills at 20 - 25 MPH after the VTM-4 shuts off is no sweat for the Pilot. Bring on the snow!:2:
I also got a chance to take my PILOT out for some snow fun today. Here in southeastern PA we have about 8 inches and the PILOT handled everything beautifully. I was anxious to drive some roads that I would never think about in my Maxima.

I was able to spin the wheels briefly before the VTM-4 kicked in. I'm thinking that new tires (maybe in next years budget) will make it more difficult to get in trouble. You have to be really trying to get in trouble with this thing. My first 4wd vehicle but I am very impressed.

Problem with people knowing you have a PILOT will be convincing your employer that you can't make it to work anymore!!!

Your comment about the VTM-4 disengaging I don't understand. I thought that the LOCK on the VTM-4 would disengage after 18 mph, but if the system needed it above that speed it would kick it in automatically and NOT be able to be locked in.

Is my understanding correct?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Re: Re: Woohoo!

royalairforce said:

Your comment about the VTM-4 disengaging I don't understand. I thought that the LOCK on the VTM-4 would disengage after 18 mph, but if the system needed it above that speed it would kick it in automatically and NOT be able to be locked in.

Is my understanding correct?
I assume this part of your message was in reference to my post.

Yes, the VTM LOCK disengages after 18mph. I had thought the LIGHT on the VTM switch would go off after 18 mph. This is NOT the case, the VTM lock light stays lite, although, in speaking to Honda, the VTM lock DOES disengage after 18 EVEN though the light is still lite. The Pilot VTM system does indeed function after 18 mph, however, NOT to the degree that the VTM LOCK provides, which is a 50/50 split.

Joe

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Woohoo!

jfrano said:

Yes, the VTM LOCK disengages after 18mph. I had thought the LIGHT on the VTM switch would go off after 18 mph. This is NOT the case, the VTM lock light stays lite, although, in speaking to Honda, the VTM lock DOES disengage after 18 EVEN though the light is still lite. The Pilot VTM system does indeed function after 18 mph, however, NOT to the degree that the VTM LOCK provides, which is a 50/50 split.
If the light does not go out, it might be reasonable to expect the lock to reactivate if the speed drops below 18mph. I haven't yet heard anything definitive on this.

·
Registered
388 Posts
jfrano can i see a bigger picture of those pups?

·
Registered
725 Posts
VTM-4 Explanation Once Again!!!!

There have been many comments about the VTM-4 not working after 18mph. Now there's a comment about the 50/50 split.

The owners manual explains this, and I've talked with my service guy countless times about this.

You CAN manually lock the VTM-4 as long as you have the PILOT in D-1, D-2 or Reverse. VTM-4 will NOT lock in D-3 or D. After you reach 18mph - it will take the system out of the "LOCK" - but the system will determine from that point on, the amount of torque split between the front and rear wheels. If you drop below 18mph, the VTM-4 LOCK will NOT reengage, you will have to do that manually.

After you exceed 18mph, the computer WILL determine the amount of power that needs to be directed to the rear wheels. IF NEEDED, the system WILL split power up to 50/50 if the computer deems it necessary.

This has been explained many times, those of you with questions need to read your owners manual or check out the other threads on this website.

We CANNOT allow bad information to be passed along to our fellow PILOTeers!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX

1 - 20 of 72 Posts