Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Snow anyone? 1/26/21...

22K views 630 replies 19 participants last post by  plplplpl 
#1 ·
Early this morning, we got hit with about another 6", and windy.
we get a Robocall at 0525 this morning- schools cancelled. What? For a little snow?
Apparently they hadn't plowed much of anything yet, and were worried about the young'uns, and the School Bus drivers, etc.

I get out at 0545 Snow blowing out driveway and mailbox area off.

I have a 30 mile commute to work. I left with twice the amount of time, in my Front Wheel Drive 08 Pilot.
They had not plowed anything, including out Cul-de-sac yet.
On the Highway, the snow between the lanes from the cars pushing it there was about a foot deep!

I did NOT grow up with snowy roads. Still a good driver though (slow in the driveway- Rainman?)

The key here is to not do anything abruptly, especially steering and braking.
I saw a few wrecks on the sides of the roads. People going slow as molasses, and the occasional Yahoo really hauling a$$.

My FWD pilot, with the General Grabber HTS60's on it does really well in this stuff.

Today, I left the VSA on the entire time- that actually helps too, unless of course you are stuck somewhere, then you have to disable the VSA in order and spin the drive/front wheels to get outof being stuck sometimes.

I only kicked on the Anti Lock brakes turning in to my works parking lot.

It was a nice drive considering. Don't need no stink'n psuedo 4WD! LOL ( our other Pilot, the 15LX has it- wife's Pilot)

See less See more
#2 ·
we get a Robocall at 0525 this morning- schools cancelled. What? For a little snow?
Apparently they hadn't plowed much of anything yet, and were worried about the young'uns, and the School Bus drivers, etc.

I have a 30 mile commute to work. I left with twice the amount of time, in my Front Wheel Drive 08 Pilot.
On the Highway, the snow between the lanes from the cars pushing it there was about a foot deep!

I did NOT grow up with snowy roads. Still a good driver though (slow in the driveway- Rainman?)

I saw a few wrecks on the sides of the roads. People going slow as molasses, and the occasional Yahoo really hauling a$$.

My FWD pilot, with the General Grabber HTS60's on it does really well in this stuff.

Today, I left the VSA on the entire time- that actually helps too, unless of course you are stuck somewhere, then you have to disable the VSA in order and spin the drive/front wheels to get outof being stuck sometimes.

It was a nice drive considering. Don't need no stink'n psuedo 4WD! LOL ( our other Pilot, the 15LX has it- wife's Pilot)
Glad you made it safely.
We may hit 80°F today.
Grass needs mowing again even though we hadn't had a whole lot of rain this winter. Yet anyway.

#4 ·
We got around 1" of snow with a couple tenths of freezing rain on top last night. I stay off the roads when the freezing rain hits, studs are the only thing I'd trust there. I am pretty surprised they didn't clear the roads where you live, is there another storm about to hit that they are prepping for?

Reactions: The Todd
#6 ·
They usually are really good about plowing in the early morning, but for this little storm, that's when the snow started.
They'll have it all plowed out, driven on, etc. by the time I get off work this afternoon.
They usually make i large outer plowblade circle in my cu dew sac early on, then come back later and finish it off.
Today- nothing yet when I left at 0700.

#7 ·

Whereabouts is this snowy goodness? I have to drive an hour into the mountains to enjoy the pleasure of driving in the snow.

While front drive cars are great in the snow, I do believe you are missing out on the amazing AWD that Honda Pilot offers. I used to drive 2003 Pilot which had a locking feature but I only used it once for testing. The VTM-4 AWD system on that Pilot did everything I needed it to do. It never had the added bonus of the torque-vectoring overdrive, but the chassis was solid.

My 2019 drives amazing with the AWD system that has a slight overdrive of the exterior wheel. You can feel it in tight corners and i think it is slightly more pronounced on Sport. The vehicle is a joy to ride in the snow. We have a very steep hill to climb by our house that is entered from a stop sign and a 90 degree turn. I never had an issue with slipping or chirping the front wheels in rain or occasional snow for that matter.

#8 ·
As my sig states, we also have a '15 4WD Pilot. The 4WD is nice- the Pilots VTM4 is a speudo 4WD/ AWD though.
It's really a FWD, with rear wheel assistance. FWIW

#14 ·
Well since we’ve thread crapped this thread about mowing here’s what’s distracted me for a few days while waiting for spring weather. Modified a bagger from a zero turn onto my pedestrian riding mower. Custom brackets and mounting plates.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
I will bite my tongue to refrain from commenting. Also, I don't want it to get it stuck frozen to a flagpole.

It’s unfortunate but its the yearly re-learning curve for safe driving in the snow/ice. The first couple of snow storms will take out a few snow driving newbies, texters, rushers but hope everyone gets to their destinations safe.
Literally natural selection.

Put a set of Blizzaks on your Pilot and your VSA will rarely ever turn on, even in deep snow, no comparison to all seasons or off road tires, cars are unstoppable in the snow with real snow tires.
Or Nokian Hakkapeliittas.
They're like having 4 snow angels under your car.

Well the sun just popped out looks like were going above 80°F. If I'm not careful, I'll get a sunburn. 🥵

Uh, well, I'll say I can't complain about the mosquitoes these days.

#28 ·
I will bite my tongue to refrain from commenting. Also, I don't want it to get it stuck frozen to a flagpole. View attachment 144494

Literally natural selection. View attachment 144497

Or Nokian Hakkapeliittas. View attachment 144498 They're like having 4 snow angels under your car.

Uh, well, I'll say I can't complain about the mosquitoes these days. View attachment 144496
What are you all talking about? What's snow? (adjusting thermostat for more AC) No sign of skeeters here either... yet.

#31 ·
You really ought to find it in your heart to make good use of all that touted cargo space a Passport is supposed to have and load it up with firewood to distribute to the poor, freezing peasants and urchins working your lands.

#23 ·
Looks like the noreaster for tomorrow is skipping MD tomorrow... now they are saying a noreaster may hit this weekend. This may end up being the 3rd year in a row that I didn't use my snowblower. Love MD weather, one year I blew a 30"+ blizzard and many 6-12" but some years we got nothing.

#27 ·
Oh yeah,
Well yesterdays total was about 8-9 inches of some light, fluffy snow.
I used the snow blower in morning- 2 stage, 24", self propelled, 7 forward speeds, 12 reverse speeds.
Then in the afternoon, my 2 sons and just shoveled what came down while I was at work.

It is 10F in my 'burb' right now. Was sub 10 this morning. Sunny though.

Have a great day everyone! All you sun belters - don't get a burn!

#29 ·
Have a great day everyone! All you sun belters - don't get a burn!
You too!
It's a little cooler this morning. We had a slight wind shift, but nothing to talk about. It should reach 70°F. I really need to trim some trees today. But I might take a nap first. 😁

#60 ·
Needless to say, the same sort of boondoggle happens just as much in Canada, if not more. Only difference is, after beating their collective chest and posturing responsibility and strict oversight, the bureaucrats here inevitably acquiesce and pay out cost overruns by digging once again into that bottomless treasure pit which is the taxpayer's pocket.

#61 ·
It's ridiculous. The US framers/founding fathers- while they did anticipate many things well.
They had no clue that the politicians would become life careers, and that they would write themselves a different set of laws and rules that only they could use, not the 'people' They would all then become millionaires on the 'spoils' of the job- to serve the people. Very few of them serve the 'people'.

#62 ·

Folks, knock off the political discussion or I will close my own thread. Politics, religion and the merit of firearms are not up for discussion.
:p

#63 ·
Haha he will lock it down quick, I'm in before the lock too!

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl
#64 ·
I just hope I'm not banned before the lock!

Hey, it was about history, not politics.

Reactions: plplplpl
#66 ·
Good morning Piloteers!"

They actually plowed this morning about 0300. I got up at 3:30 and shoved the edge of the garage door, and the took some off the 2ft high pile the plow left across the end of our driveway. I took my wife to work 3 mi. away @ 04:15 this morning. the 7" in the driveway was no problem for our 4WD Honda Pilot.
It's still snowing, we're getting about 10" by 0900.
I don't have to go anywhere else yet, so I'm waiting to use the snow thrower till it lets up some after 0900 ish.

Here's my back deck. With a little snow that was already there, it's about a foot deep:

My front walkway and driveway were clear to the concrete yesterday. It's 30-32F, so it's really wet/heavy snow too. This is looking out my front door.

Stay safe everyone!

#68 · (Edited)
Wow ... it's kinda beautiful ... but only on pictures and Christmas cards we get from our northern friends. Brrrr. My 18-year-old has never seen it snow like that although she loves snow tubing.

It's "chilly" here this morning but supposed to be knocking on the door of 80F this afternoon. Guess I'll wash the cars after church.

#86 ·
What city/area would that be?

#87 ·
Not sure what to do with this monster machine when I move down south but I’m ready for some snow ❄ ⛄ View attachment 144677
I'll take it off your hands for free.*

*If they open the border before you move, or if shipping is free, whichever comes first.

#119 ·
Well we got our fun little 3 day snow event with 2 separate storms. The first one put down 4-5" then freezing rain turned the top 1"+ into an icy crust. Nothing for 12 hours then another 3-4". My 2 stage walk behind (Crafstmen) does a great job but it cannot break up that ice crust, it wants to float on top so I basically had to lift up on the handles to drive the cutting edge down below the ice crust. Feeling it today.

As we watch the snow piling up on tv newscasts in the more northern climes not all is well and warm here in Florida ... the kid was seriously layered up with winterwear by her mom this morning .......brrrrrr The good news is, at least they're going to school. Have been all year.
View attachment 144737
Uh. This is the most confusing private school ever. I went to a private high school. Beige khakis with a white shirt and a tie. Sport coats required from 10/1 through 4/1. My junior year they started letting the students where polos when sport coats weren't required, but they had to be the black, white or yellow ones purchased from the school. Dress shoes were always required.

I mowed the lawn (the weeds anyway) yesterday ... wished I'd had one of those Deeres with a cabin and heater. So jealous of you not needing to mow your lawn now.
Me too... I get the luxury of clearing my parent's driveway too. Yes, my mom is a hoarder.

I've been battling snow with this thing for over 20 years. It only stranded me once. The single stage doesn't throw the snow the farthest but it is so much easier clearing snow with this than my walk behind.

John Deere 285 with the water cooled Kawasaki V Twin. Hand controlled hydrostatic drive, MUCH preferred to foot controlled in my not-so-humble opinion. Hydraulic lift would be nice but it's manual lift with the tree-catcher lever on the right side.

Reactions: The Todd
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.