421 - 440 of 564 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #421
Snow? OH yeah, this thread was about that LOL

I rode to work today- it was 28F.
I'm riding home too, but now it's 57F! I'm taking a version of my patented 'long way home'- country twisty highways and roads.

Where's Jim? How you doing bud?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,822 Posts
Not a problem with a Honda twin-blade mower.
Nor for a 22 HP fuel injected Cub Cadet, however........

"The main reason for not cutting wet grass is that if there is a disease in the lawn, and they tend to occur more when the grass is wet frequently from excessive rainfalls, the mower will spread the disease around the yard," says Dr. Joey Williamson, an expert in residential horticulture at Clemson University, adding that if there are lawn weeds going to seed, spreading wet seeds could add to a larger weed infestion.

Even with a sharp blade, mowers tend not to cut cleanly when grass is wet. Those wet clippings can clog up your mower, so the mower will need to be cleaned out periodically, which is dangerous.
Mowers will choke on the wet clippings and then spit out clumps of the wet grass. If left unraked from your lawn, those clumps will smother and kill the grass they cover, leaving behind ugly dead spots.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts

"The main reason for not cutting wet grass is that if there is a disease in the lawn, and they tend to occur more when the grass is wet frequently from excessive rainfalls, the mower will spread the disease around the yard," says Dr. Joey Williamson, an expert in residential horticulture at Clemson University, adding that if there are lawn weeds going to seed, spreading wet seeds could add to a larger weed infestion.

Even with a sharp blade, mowers tend not to cut cleanly when grass is wet. Those wet clippings can clog up your mower, so the mower will need to be cleaned out periodically, which is dangerous.
Mowers will choke on the wet clippings and then spit out clumps of the wet grass. If left unraked from your lawn, those clumps will smother and kill the grass they cover, leaving behind ugly dead spots.
Obviously, you've never used a Honda twin-blade mower.
I mulch when mowing, so it's inevitable that the disease and weeds get spread around the yard.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,822 Posts
Obviously, you've never used a Honda twin-blade mower.
I mulch when mowing, so it's inevitable that the disease and weeds get spread around the yard.
Obviously you didn't read the second reason. Never good to shred the top of the grass instead of getting a good clean cut.

Besides I don't mulch, I bag. Saves on having to de thatch the yard every year before aerating and overseeing.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Obviously you didn't read the second reason. Never good to shred the top of the grass instead of getting a good clean cut.
The grass has never once complained to me.

Besides I don't mulch, I bag.
How and where do you dispose of the bagged clippings?

Saves on having to de thatch the yard every year before aerating and overseeing.
I don't dethatch, aerate or overseed, yet the grass still grows green every year.
It's a lawn, not a golf course.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

OK, I think Dr. Joey is being just a tad dramatic when he uses a word like dangerous to describe grass clippings.

The benefit of being retired is you can cut when you want, as many times as you want per week. I have to cut my lawn (1/4 with pushmower, edge/trim every other week) and my parents lawn (60" Husqvarna zero turn, 5 acres, no edge and trimmed maybe once a month since my mom likes to spray grass killer in those areas). I'm lucky to find the time to do it each week, let alone worry about whether the lawn is wet. Most of it is green, it grows and I cut it.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
I'm surprised there is grass to ow this soon after all those days below freezing. Or I should say, below zero.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Also, where is @jimmaki ? I am hoping everything went well and he's full of rabbit food and other heart healthy items.

I'm surprised there is grass to ow this soon after all those days below freezing. Or I should say, below zero.
Mine is starting to turn a dark green again... some of the weeds that are fast growing are perking up quickly. I'm thinking 2ish weeks I'll be mowing.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
Also, where is @jimmaki ? I am hoping everything went well and he's full of rabbit food and other heart healthy items.

Mine is starting to turn a dark green again... some of the weeds that are fast growing are perking up quickly. I'm thinking 2ish weeks I'll be mowing.
It was a very dry winter for us. Early spring fronts have produced little rain. It seems were either dry or it's a flood. 😕

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
In the flower beds, once it has been composted.
No flower beds here. Too many allergies.

My grass looks like a lawn in the spring and fall and like a yard at the peak of summer.
I stopped watering the grass when the town began charging sewer fees based on total water consumption - regardless of whether the water went down the drain or onto the grass.
I also alternate the direction of mowing, so that there's a fancier striping pattern on the lawn.
Got rid of the birdbath, since it was mainly used as a drinking fountain by squirrels.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I stopped watering the grass when the town began charging sewer fees based on total water consumption - regardless of whether the water went down the drain or onto the grass.
Gotta recoup the infiltration and inflow costs somehow... at my municipality our 25 MGD wastewater treatment plant can see upwards of 50 MGD (million gallons per day) on a rainy day. We have to throttle back the pump stations and utilize every process basin we have to help equalize the flow and allow us to actually treat it before discharging it into the Chesapeake. We average less than one overflow event per year, unlike most plants.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Gotta recoup the infiltration and inflow costs somehow...
As if the town property taxes I pay aren't enough already.
Adding on a separate bill for sewer fees was just a way for the town to grab more money while being able to say that they weren't raising taxes.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
As if the town property taxes I pay aren't enough already.
Adding on a separate bill for sewer fees was just a way for the town to grab more money while being able to say that they weren't raising taxes.
Most water/sewer divisions do not operate from taxes at all, they operate from their billings and connection fees charged to new properties. Not all, but most.

If you don't like it, go well and septic. Enjoy the cost to replace/overhaul them when they go bad. And now you don't know the quality of the water you are using in your house unless you get it tested and make the necessary treatment adjustments (softening, filtering, etc.) and you get to pay to have your solids/sludge removed from your septic system periodically.

Classic case of 6 of one half dozen of the other.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Most water/sewer divisions do not operate from taxes at all, they operate from their billings and connection fees charged to new properties. Not all, but most.
Sewer fees used to be included in the property taxes.
Some years ago it was made a separate bill, with no compensating reduction in property taxes.
Again, just a way for the town to grab more money while being able to say that they weren't raising taxes.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Sewer fees used to be included in the property taxes.
Some years ago it was made a separate bill, with no compensating reduction in property taxes.
Again, just a way for the town to grab more money while being able to say that they weren't raising taxes.
Haha no argument for how they transitioned the fees and never offered any credits, but water/sewer is generally a separate entity. I get quite a few comments at public meetings about how people's taxes pay my bills and get a lot of dumbfounded looks when they realize it doesn't.

County Execs, Mayors, etc. can't make the ridiculous salaries they tend to make if taxes are cheap.

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
County Execs, Mayors, etc. can't make the ridiculous salaries they tend to make if taxes are cheap.
The mayor's salary is one thing but, having reviewed the town budget, I don't understand the justification for so many deputy, assistant, associate and whatever chiefs (and their salaries) in the fire department. Seems like the chiefs outnumber the indians ordinary firefighters. It's not much different with the police department.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
The mayor's salary is one thing but, having reviewed the town budget, I don't understand the justification for so many deputy, assistant, associate and whatever chiefs (and their salaries) in the fire department. Seems like the chiefs outnumber the indians ordinary firefighters. It's not much different with the police department.
I've found a lot of County Execs and other elected officials spent time in the fire department... coincidence? I suppose in areas like mine where most firefighters are volunteer the few paid employees get a little more for dealing with volunteers.

421 - 440 of 564 Posts