Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 564 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early this morning, we got hit with about another 6", and windy.
we get a Robocall at 0525 this morning- schools cancelled. What? For a little snow?
Apparently they hadn't plowed much of anything yet, and were worried about the young'uns, and the School Bus drivers, etc.

I get out at 0545 Snow blowing out driveway and mailbox area off.

I have a 30 mile commute to work. I left with twice the amount of time, in my Front Wheel Drive 08 Pilot.
They had not plowed anything, including out Cul-de-sac yet.
On the Highway, the snow between the lanes from the cars pushing it there was about a foot deep!

I did NOT grow up with snowy roads. Still a good driver though (slow in the driveway- Rainman?)

The key here is to not do anything abruptly, especially steering and braking.
I saw a few wrecks on the sides of the roads. People going slow as molasses, and the occasional Yahoo really hauling a$$.

My FWD pilot, with the General Grabber HTS60's on it does really well in this stuff.

Today, I left the VSA on the entire time- that actually helps too, unless of course you are stuck somewhere, then you have to disable the VSA in order and spin the drive/front wheels to get outof being stuck sometimes.

I only kicked on the Anti Lock brakes turning in to my works parking lot.

It was a nice drive considering. Don't need no stink'n psuedo 4WD! LOL ( our other Pilot, the 15LX has it- wife's Pilot)

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
we get a Robocall at 0525 this morning- schools cancelled. What? For a little snow?
Apparently they hadn't plowed much of anything yet, and were worried about the young'uns, and the School Bus drivers, etc.

I have a 30 mile commute to work. I left with twice the amount of time, in my Front Wheel Drive 08 Pilot.
On the Highway, the snow between the lanes from the cars pushing it there was about a foot deep!

I did NOT grow up with snowy roads. Still a good driver though (slow in the driveway- Rainman?)

I saw a few wrecks on the sides of the roads. People going slow as molasses, and the occasional Yahoo really hauling a$$.

My FWD pilot, with the General Grabber HTS60's on it does really well in this stuff.

Today, I left the VSA on the entire time- that actually helps too, unless of course you are stuck somewhere, then you have to disable the VSA in order and spin the drive/front wheels to get outof being stuck sometimes.

It was a nice drive considering. Don't need no stink'n psuedo 4WD! LOL ( our other Pilot, the 15LX has it- wife's Pilot)
Glad you made it safely.
We may hit 80°F today.
Grass needs mowing again even though we hadn't had a whole lot of rain this winter. Yet anyway.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,324 Posts
Glad you made it safely.
We may hit 80°F today.
Grass needs mowing again even though we hadn't had a whole lot of rain this winter. Yet anyway.
That's my kind of winter.
Thankfully where I am, we get a few cold days but a lot of days in the high 50s and low 60s. THAT is perfect.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
We got around 1" of snow with a couple tenths of freezing rain on top last night. I stay off the roads when the freezing rain hits, studs are the only thing I'd trust there. I am pretty surprised they didn't clear the roads where you live, is there another storm about to hit that they are prepping for?

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
It’s unfortunate but its the yearly re-learning curve for safe driving in the snow/ice. The first couple of snow storms will take out a few snow driving newbies, texters, rushers but hope everyone gets to their destinations safe.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We got around 1" of snow with a couple tenths of freezing rain on top last night. I stay off the roads when the freezing rain hits, studs are the only thing I'd trust there. I am pretty surprised they didn't clear the roads where you live, is there another storm about to hit that they are prepping for?
They usually are really good about plowing in the early morning, but for this little storm, that's when the snow started.
They'll have it all plowed out, driven on, etc. by the time I get off work this afternoon.
They usually make i large outer plowblade circle in my cu dew sac early on, then come back later and finish it off.
Today- nothing yet when I left at 0700.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Whereabouts is this snowy goodness? I have to drive an hour into the mountains to enjoy the pleasure of driving in the snow.

While front drive cars are great in the snow, I do believe you are missing out on the amazing AWD that Honda Pilot offers. I used to drive 2003 Pilot which had a locking feature but I only used it once for testing. The VTM-4 AWD system on that Pilot did everything I needed it to do. It never had the added bonus of the torque-vectoring overdrive, but the chassis was solid.

My 2019 drives amazing with the AWD system that has a slight overdrive of the exterior wheel. You can feel it in tight corners and i think it is slightly more pronounced on Sport. The vehicle is a joy to ride in the snow. We have a very steep hill to climb by our house that is entered from a stop sign and a 90 degree turn. I never had an issue with slipping or chirping the front wheels in rain or occasional snow for that matter.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whereabouts is this snowy goodness? I have to drive an hour into the mountains to enjoy the pleasure of driving in the snow.

While front drive cars are great in the snow, I do believe you are missing out on the amazing AWD that Honda Pilot offers. I used to drive 2003 Pilot which had a locking feature but I only used it once for testing. The VTM-4 AWD system on that Pilot did everything I needed it to do. It never had the added bonus of the torque-vectoring overdrive, but the chassis was solid.

My 2019 drives amazing with the AWD system that has a slight overdrive of the exterior wheel. You can feel it in tight corners and i think it is slightly more pronounced on Sport. The vehicle is a joy to ride in the snow. We have a very steep hill to climb by our house that is entered from a stop sign and a 90 degree turn. I never had an issue with slipping or chirping the front wheels in rain or occasional snow for that matter.
As my sig states, we also have a '15 4WD Pilot. The 4WD is nice- the Pilots VTM4 is a speudo 4WD/ AWD though.
It's really a FWD, with rear wheel assistance. FWIW

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
15,886 Posts
I escaped the Boston area for a few days so no snow here in Greenville SC. My kid at home can shovel and use the snow blower if he needs to. Fending for himself, its the responsible way to parent a 21 year old.
(he's actually brilliant and self sufficient)

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
As my sig states, we also have a '15 4WD Pilot. The 4WD is nice- the Pilots VTM4 is a speudo 4WD/ AWD though.
It's really a FWD, with rear wheel assistance. FWIW
I disagree. The Realtime AWD on the CRV, HR-V and other lesser Hondas is a "slip then grip" style like you are referring to. Many of the Pilot's competitors have that type of system and it does just fine.

The 1st and 2nd gen Pilot use VTM-4, which IS sending torque to both axles from a stop. The rear slowly trails off torque as the vehicle gets moving or if slip is still detected. Much more advanced than your slip then grip style.

The 3rd gen Pilot takes it a step further, using a retuned version of Acura's SH-AWD. So it's basically VTM-4 but it also includes torque vectoring on the rear axle. Look up TFL Pilot Gold Mine Hill to see just how capable the system is.

I escaped the Boston area for a few days so no snow here in Greenville SC. My kid at home can shovel and use the snow blower if he needs to. Fending for himself, its the responsible way to parent a 21 year old.
(he's actually brilliant and self sufficient)
My neighbor has 4 boys age 16-25 in his house. In the years I've been here I have never seen them shovel snow, cut grass, rake leaves, etc. The one did get a job as soon as he could and bought a rough C4 Corvette that he has put serious effort into refurbishing, but the others smoke pot on the back porch. /tangent

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Well the sun just popped out looks like were going above 80°F. If I'm not careful, I'll get a sunburn. 🥵

Reactions: aggrex and The Todd

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Well since we’ve thread crapped this thread about mowing here’s what’s distracted me for a few days while waiting for spring weather. Modified a bagger from a zero turn onto my pedestrian riding mower. Custom brackets and mounting plates.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Well since we’ve thread crapped this thread about mowing here’s what’s distracted me for a few days while waiting for spring weather. Modified a bagger from a zero turn onto my pedestrian riding mower. Custom brackets and mounting plates.
Nice! I could use that for all my oak leaves.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
I disagree. The Realtime AWD on the CRV, HR-V and other lesser Hondas is a "slip then grip" style like you are referring to. Many of the Pilot's competitors have that type of system and it does just fine.

The 1st and 2nd gen Pilot use VTM-4, which IS sending torque to both axles from a stop. The rear slowly trails off torque as the vehicle gets moving or if slip is still detected. Much more advanced than your slip then grip style.
The AWD system on the latest generation CR-V has been revised to send some power to the rear axle when accelerating from a stop.

My neighbor has 4 boys age 16-25 in his house. In the years I've been here I have never seen them shovel snow, cut grass, rake leaves, etc. The one did get a job as soon as he could and bought a rough C4 Corvette that he has put serious effort into refurbishing, but the others smoke pot on the back porch. /tangent
How do the others afford to buy the pot?

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
I will bite my tongue to refrain from commenting. Also, I don't want it to get it stuck frozen to a flagpole.

It’s unfortunate but its the yearly re-learning curve for safe driving in the snow/ice. The first couple of snow storms will take out a few snow driving newbies, texters, rushers but hope everyone gets to their destinations safe.
Literally natural selection.

Put a set of Blizzaks on your Pilot and your VSA will rarely ever turn on, even in deep snow, no comparison to all seasons or off road tires, cars are unstoppable in the snow with real snow tires.
Or Nokian Hakkapeliittas.
They're like having 4 snow angels under your car.

Well the sun just popped out looks like were going above 80°F. If I'm not careful, I'll get a sunburn. 🥵

Uh, well, I'll say I can't complain about the mosquitoes these days.

1 - 20 of 564 Posts