Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Well that's not something you see everyday on a Pilot. Guess that will be handy on the occasional river crossing.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I don't use Instagram ... interesting project. Are you sealing the doors, floors, firewall, seam welds, etc., to keep water out? How are you sealing all the electronics, sensors, switches, lights and harnesses from water intrusion, shorting and eventual corrosion?

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Never saw a snorkel installed on a large car before til now
Mom can get across the the river in time to get Jr to the soccer game. :p

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts
I don't use Instagram ... interesting project. Are you sealing the doors, floors, firewall, seam welds, etc., to keep water out? How are you sealing all the electronics, sensors, switches, lights and harnesses from water intrusion, shorting and eventual corrosion?
Don't forget the tranny breather.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
View attachment 146102

You can follow my Instagram @mike_honchos_honda for the full details and the rest of my build!
The snorkel mod looks great! The DIY pics are inspirational. The first hole to drill in the pristine fender is the hardest. Besides possible river crossing and looking awesome on a Pilot the snorkel makes for a true cold air intake.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To answer your question, no I’m not going that far into it. Put this on mainly for better performance and to have for occasional water crossings. Don’t plan on driving this thing in water for long periods of time so no need to seal it in lake a submarine. The factory seals on everything under the hood and the rest of the car do their purpose for short water exposure. Thanks for the question!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
Cool project. Keep those pics coming. (y)

Are those fender flares I spy with my little eye?

When you eventually ford that river that was just a little deeper than you thought, can I have them? :D

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
To answer your question, no I’m not going that far into it. Put this on mainly for better performance and to have for occasional water crossings. Don’t plan on driving this thing in water for long periods of time so no need to seal it in lake a submarine. The factory seals on everything under the hood and the rest of the car do their purpose for short water exposure. Thanks for the question!
Great ... thanks. Nice wheels and detailed tires. Watch out for those hidden deep drop offs.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
How does this add performance? You added a 90 degree bend for the air to flow. You’re also now pulling less focused air through the same box.

If anything you just created yourself a nice restriction that looks really goofy since if you submerged this car this deep the interior is going to be dead anyways. Not seeing any gains here except looking goofy 😬. Snorkels are for cars that don’t have full carpet. See: rubber floor with drains aka jeeps.

You also ruined your fender which will be incredibly expensive to paint match and blend into the door due to paint fading over 15 years. Don’t do this people it ain’t worth it 😂

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How does this add performance? You added a 90 degree bend for the air to flow. You’re also now pulling less focused air through the same box.

If anything you just created yourself a nice restriction that looks really goofy since if you submerged this car this deep it’s going to be dead anyways. Not seeing any gains here except looking goofy 😬

You also ruined your fender which will be incredibly expensive to paint match and blend into the door due to paint fading over 15 years. Don’t do this people it ain’t worth it 😂
Thanks for your opinion. My car was totaled by hail last summer so drilling holes was no concern to me. If you do the slightest bit of research you will find that this does help performance and the air is cooler and MORE focused being up top with direct flow into the box unlike before. If you just wanna troll go somewhere else

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Dyno sheets have proven for years that cold air intakes do nothing to help Honda performance but when they are down low they simply add more risk to your engine. Honda engines don’t benefit from cold air intakes as the engines are designed to be as efficient as possible from the factory. They will change the sound and make you think you have more performance. Source: been a performance Honda guy for 20 years and cold air intakes aren’t a thing anymore because of this science.

So you’re saying that the car is going to have massive performance gain in the cold vs the hot weather? Because that’s the same thing and my old ass pilot doesn’t feel any different in the cold. If that’s the case how can they run these high horsepower drag racing competitions in the heat, shouldn’t all the cars be super slow? I don’t see any cold air intakes or roof mounted intakes on dragsters. Their intakes are RIGHT ON THE MOTOR. This is great. 😂

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts
My previous post was in all seriousness. I did not own a 1st gen Pilot but I do believe from viewing other posts in the forum that the transmission breather tube is situated fairly low in the engine compartment, lower than the air intake. You might want to consider getting a piece of tubing and a connector of the proper size along with a clamp and raise the breather.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
My previous post was in all seriousness. I did not own a 1st gen Pilot but I do believe from viewing other posts in the forum that the transmission breather tube is situated fairly low in the engine compartment, lower than the air intake. You might want to consider getting a piece of tubing and a connector of the proper size along with a clamp and raise the breather.
Everything is positioned low, it’s why this is hilarious. Tons of electronics with 02 sensors, the whole ecu is right in the engine bay and not protected by anything but a cheap plastic cover. There’s a main harness that goes over the top part of the tranny. The door seals won’t seal out that kind of water influx. This car isn’t designed for water crossings but hey got a snorkel now it is. 😂

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info I’m gonna look into it and see what I can do.
Dyno sheets have proven for years that cold air intakes do nothing to help Honda performance but when they are down low they simply add more risk to your engine. Honda engines don’t benefit from cold air intakes as the engines are designed to be as efficient as possible from the factory. They will change the sound and make you think you have more performance. Source: been a performance Honda guy for 20 years and cold air intakes aren’t a thing anymore because of this science.
[/QUOTE
Thanks for your 20 years of expert Honda service.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Everything is positioned low, it’s why this is hilarious. Tons of electronics with 02 sensors, the whole ecu is right in the engine bay and not protected by anything but a cheap plastic cover. There’s a main harness that goes over the top part of the tranny. The door seals won’t seal out that kind of water influx. This car isn’t designed for water crossings but hey got a snorkel now it is. 😂

Yes, definitely run that tranny tube to your roof. It will add cooler air to your tranny and keep it cool.
Some of your comments have merit and would apply to a bunch of vehicles that attempt to cross water. Preparation is key for any vehicle and the Pilot may need more as you mentioned. Going to different levels of "off-road" take preparation, money, know-how and it can be a type of fun.
Check out this video .....water crossing doesn't have to be super deep but there is no guarantees LOL

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
See its location here...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts