Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to taking a pic of the plugs that were removed from the 12 EX-L when it had about 75K miles on it, a little over a year ago. Keeping in mind I didn't put a VC Muzzler on it until it had around 63K miles on it, I think I got lucky.

Attachments

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,266 Posts
They've got more oil than a '50s haircut.

Yup, but you're glad you put on a Muzzler.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I finally got around to taking a pic of the plugs that were removed from the 12 EX-L when it had about 75K miles on it, a little over a year ago. Keeping in mind I didn't put a VC Muzzler on it until it had around 63K miles on it, I think I got lucky.
I’ve seen much worse. But yes.....be glad you put on the muzzler.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I see oil on the threads but I'm not seeing a lot of evidence that a lot was being burned. Am I missing something?

Reactions: Slvr7

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Insulator color looks good and is consistent.

I often wonder about so much oil on the threads, but that's a separate discussion. I haven't had the cam covers off to see how the plug wells are supposed to seal, but ASSume that there are replaceable ring seals that are allowing oil into those wells.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Insulator color looks good and is consistent.

I often wonder about so much oil on the threads, but that's a separate discussion. I haven't had the cam covers off to see how the plug wells are supposed to seal, but ASSume that there are replaceable ring seals that are allowing oil into those wells.
I saw another post RE the TSB and plug color, and these have been laying in my garage for over a year so I thought I would post a pic for discussion. Bottom line, I'm glad I put the muzzler on and glad I decided to keep the old girl despite how tempting it was to trade it instead of the 2018 Sante Fe that was paid for, still in warranty and only had a little over 17K on it. I did NOT want to get caught up in the Hyundai/Kia Theta 2 engine fiasco.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Where the plug does it's work, they all look fine.
I'm assuming that's shadows between the electrodes on some of them, and not 'gunk'?

The oil on the threads and above has nothing to do with where it's ignition is though- which look good.
Provided they are not loose in the head? Not their head, the cylinder head LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts