Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Piloteers,

I have a 2004 EX-L with 180K miles, and it has been serving us great.

The exhaust fume started to become really smelly recently: it doesn't smell as pure gasoline, but fume with a tiny bit of sulfuric smell.

Is it burning engine oil? Last oil change I got 4 and 1/4 quarts of oil after 3900 miles. Is that rate of loss of engine oil a concern?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
From what you describe there aref two possibilities that I am aware of. First the engine is running too rich. That is an issue that may easily be fixed if you replace the oxygen sensor.

The second is a catalytic converter issue. If so you will be due for a new catalytic converter in the future.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what you describe there aref two possibilities that I am aware of. First the engine is running too rich. That is an issue that may easily be fixed if you replace the oxygen sensor.

The second is a catalytic converter issue. If so you will be due for a new catalytic converter in the future.
The two O2 sensors (the 2004 one has two only as far as I can tell) were replaced about 1.5 years ago at 170K miles. That probably ruled out the 1st cause.

·
Registered
278 Posts
EGR valve issues can give off fuel odor. There is a way to test (search you tube) if it's bad. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Hi, Piloteers,

I have a 2004 EX-L with 180K miles, and it has been serving us great.

The exhaust fume started to become really smelly recently: it doesn't smell as pure gasoline, but fume with a tiny bit of sulfuric smell.

Is it burning engine oil? Last oil change I got 4 and 1/4 quarts of oil after 3900 miles. Is that rate of loss of engine oil a concern?
A loss of almost a quart of oil in 3.9k miles is a concern. Are you leaking any oil? I suspect the need for a new PCV. If your crank case pressure is not being relieved, it can force more oil up into the cylinders.
Is your vehicle equipped with Variable Valve Timing?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Nail Grease I login today and just read your reply. Sorry for a long delay. I probably missed the alert from piloteers.

I did see a slight oil leak where the bottom of transmission block next to the oil pan is wet, but no drip yet.

I replaced PCV a few months ago which did not change the oil leak in a material way. I also replaced the gaskets in two camshaft covers, which had signs of oil leak, but the wetness at the transmission block continues.

How do I tell if the car has vvt or not?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
For the age and mileage the exhaust system has started to fail. Inspect the exhaust system front to rear and focus on the flex pipe section. I replaced the entire system with an aftermarket kit from RockAuto for much less than any muffler shop. Pretty clean ez job to do once the old rusty exhaust system is completely removed.
9ECFE22F-5F45-4168-A8B3-3A4D49B26A0C.jpeg
7FFD8644-D2BE-4C7F-BD03-C44D0B995995.jpeg

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
@aggrex thanks.

I found the kit on RockAuto. How difficult is the job? Does it require welding?
Probably one of the cleanest under-the-vehicle installations once all the old rusty exhaust parts are removed (wear goggles) as cutting may be involved. Aftermarket exhaust kit is bolt-on, nuts, gaskets and clamps. If the O2 sensors (2) are rusted tight get new NGK/Denso for best results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts