Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Got my Pilot a few weeks ago and we're loving it. When washing it, I found a little piece of clear plastic tape along the back lower part of the rear passenger doors. Both doors had it. I thought it was just a protective tape that the dealer had missed when prepping the vehicle, so I peeled them off. They were about 2 by 4 inches and were all of the way toward the back bottom of each rear passenger door, right in front of the rear wheel well. I pulled into the dealer the other day and checked out their demo model and it still had them on!!! Did I just peel off something I wasn't supposed to peel off??? It wasn't real hard to take off, but it wasn't real easy either. It came off clean though, no problem. Anyone else experience this? Go check your Pilot and let me know!!!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Oops

Yep, those stay in place to protect the paint.
Go get them put on new ones before you get too many stone chips.

·
Registered
919 Posts
There are some differing opinions on this one and there was even a poll setup over it. To me, the position in question is no more vulnerable than the entire front end of the vehicle. Read all of the posts around here on the subject and do what makes you feel comfortable.

Chris

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
facts and opinions

1) It is specificaly not shipping protection (fact)

2) It is specifically meant to be there (Fact)

3) Honda would not put it on if it was not an issue (Opinion)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Easy big fella.

I'm not questioning if Honda put the coating there on purpose. Obviously they did. I'm just trying to help in this specific situation. He has already taken these pieces off. My opinion is simply that the spot in question is no more vulnerable than the entire front of the vehicle, so it's not worth worrying about and paying to have a new set put on. I just recommend that he read the information available and make up his own mind.

Chris

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I was trying to answer the question directly;

"I thought it was just a protective tape that the dealer had missed when prepping the vehicle, so I peeled them off. They were about 2 by 4 inches and were all of the way toward the back bottom of each rear passenger door, right in front of the rear wheel well. I pulled into the dealer the other day and checked out their demo model and it still had them on!!! Did I just peel off something I wasn't supposed to peel off???"

Check an older vehicle that flair out in the same spot.
Many have the paint completely "sand blased" off.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've noticed some vehicles I have seen have a black or body colored plastic /vinyl panel at that same spot.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think it is much more vulnerable than the front of the car to be damaged, after all the front drive tires are actively trying to throw stuff at it almost all the time.

Al

·
Registered
99 Posts
For what it’s worth I’m looking into putting the 3M Paint Protection Film on all four doors over the painted side molding on my Silver Pilot. This is because the paint has been known to chip off easily on other Pilots posted on the forum. This will protect the paint from chipping when rocks fly up from the wheels and from other inconsiderate a-holes :3: who decide to open their car doors onto my Pilot with no concern.

Once installed 3M Paint Protection Film is transparent and nearly invisible, and it does not alter vehicle appearance.

Will keep you posted once done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback. I called the dealer, and, as posted here, yes - they are for protection against stone chips. Since mine had peeled a little bit, they are willing to cover them under warrantee...$12 bucks a piece, can you believe it? Anyway, I have running boards, so my guess is that stones couldn't make there way to that area of the door anyway...I checked it out. I still ordered them since there covered under warrantee, so I'll put them on for safety. :) By the way, IMHO, if mine were peeling after one week, how long are they gonna last anyway??? Not long.

·
Registered
465 Posts
pilot4me said:
For what it’s worth I’m looking into putting the 3M Paint Protection Film on all four doors over the painted side molding on my Silver Pilot. This is because the paint has been known to chip off easily on other Pilots posted on the forum. This will protect the paint from chipping when rocks fly up from the wheels and from other inconsiderate a-holes :3: who decide to open their car doors onto my Pilot with no concern.

Once installed 3M Paint Protection Film is transparent and nearly invisible, and it does not alter vehicle appearance.

Will keep you posted once done.
I for one am interested in how this product works for you. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah, I just noticed those myself. They look rather lame, in my opinion. Kinda like "duct tape." Painted OVER duct tape, no less.

I'll deal with it but, I don't like it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I got wax underneath the edge of mine, and really couldn't get it out...so I peeled them off. I have the running boards--they should offer stone chip protection.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Funny, Mrs. SoapPlant just found them for me on Sunday.

I noticed a post similar to this one a while back, and look at mine, but couldn't see them. Everyone kept on saying, you can't miss them!

Well, I've got one on the driver's side, but none on the passenger's side. Not sure what that means!? Sounds like they peeled one off but left the other one on!

I'll have to see if they can replace it during the scheduled maintenance?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I could not find this piece of tape near the rear doors.
Where is it located?

It may have been removed by the dealer during prep as they had to apply a sealant over the paint.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
If it is note here, it is missing.
Have the dealer put a new set on (Under warrenty, of course)

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I worked with a girl who bought a brand new Nissan Sentra and it sandbasted itself right down to the metal in that same spot. The dealers solution was to put on some mud flaps. Some cars like Saabs have a flap that hangs down about midway between the front and rear wheels. The surrounding areas were fine. The aerodynamics play a large part in this I bet.:4:

·
Registered
664 Posts
But...

Just a thought on this piece. I still have it on and found several little hits it had taken but no damage was done so it appears to have done its job. I have now added running boards which are flush against the body and wonder, do I even still need the plastic piece as it would seem the lower half of the truck is now protected from front to rear wheel.

What do you think?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: But...

I have running boards and the protective tape. I would just leave it on. Its not really visible unless you go looking for it closely (and I mean really closely).

banningjr said:
Just a thought on this piece. I still have it on and found several little hits it had taken but no damage was done so it appears to have done its job. I have now added running boards which are flush against the body and wonder, do I even still need the plastic piece as it would seem the lower half of the truck is now protected from front to rear wheel.

What do you think?

·
Registered
116 Posts
N_Jay,

I spotted the tape, thanks to your photograph. Glad that it has not been removed. I missed it earlier as I was looking at the rear door edges 'cause my Toyota has a strip of tape in that location.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts